• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

eG Sushi Lunch

Curlz

Someone ( Curlz :wink: ) should be in charge.

Story of my life, Lou...story of my life! :laugh:

Okay, we need to make some decisions, folks.

The place in Morristown is called Little Tokyo and it's at 5 Pine Street in Morristown, basically on the side of the Morristown Community Theater. I've checked, and they do not do omakase. I'm not sure if the place has changed hands since the last time I was there, or if I just didn't notice the name change (it used to start with a Y) but I have sushi-loving friends who go there and haven't mentioned any change in the quality of what they're serving.

Okayama in Upper Montclair comes highly recommended as well, and they do omakase.

Nori in Caldwell has been consistently excellent (in my book) for years.

SO...please post or PM me with your preference of Morristown, Caldwell or Montclair, and I'll make a reservation for 12:30pm on Thurs. Dec. 2nd at the location that is most convenient. I'm going to ask for responses by this Sunday and will lock it all in on Monday.

Looking forward to it!

Curlz

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

"He's jumped the flounder, as you might say."

Omakase means you give the sushi chef a set amount of money, 50 bucks, 100 bucks, whatever -- and you say "serve me whatever you feel is freshest and is the best value for my money". And that's what they do. Except that instead of saying the previous phrase, when you ask for "Omakase, 100 dollars" they know exactly what you mean. Typically the Omakase price is listed on the menu, and they usually have a few dollar amounts. At a really high end place like Nobu or Masa or Karuma Zushi in NYC though, the sky is the limit.

There's a more complicated description but essentialy thats what omakase is.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

Chef, Morristown is furthest for you...Caldwell is probably #2, but it's not far, nor is Montclair.

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

For those who are fans of Uni, the Maine Sea Urchin Fishery is underway until January 11th '05. Gulf of Maine Uni is delicious but highly perishable. Ask the Chef of it's origin if you order.

"I took the habit of asking Pierre to bring me whatever looks good today and he would bring out the most wonderful things," - bleudauvergne

foodblogs: Dining Downeast I - Dining Downeast II

Portland Food Map.com

Omakase means you give the sushi chef a set amount of money, 50 bucks, 100 bucks, whatever -- and you say "serve me whatever you feel is freshest and is the best value for my money". And that's what they do. Except that instead of saying the previous phrase, when you ask for "Omakase, 100 dollars" they know exactly what you mean. Typically the Omakase price is listed on the menu, and they usually have a few dollar amounts. At a really high end place like Nobu or Masa or Karuma Zushi in NYC though, the sky is the limit.

There's a more complicated description but essentialy thats what omakase is.

What a great concept. I kind of wish there were a non-sushi restaurant that would work like that. Hmm...maybe that's my key to riches...... :biggrin:

Nothing says I love you like a homemade salami

I was at Nori last week and they had fresh Uni on the menu at that time. At this stage I could possibly be in for 2 people. Just let me know where it's going to be held and then I'll talk to the SOH :biggrin:

Cheers

Tom

I want food and I want it now

Just my two cents, but I live in Morristown and have eaten at Little Tokyo -- once. Nothing terrible, but nothing that stands out in any way -- decor, food, atmosphere, you name it. I'd go for something a little more interesting.

"All humans are out of their f*cking minds -- every single one of them."

-- Albert Ellis

Based on responses here and via PM, we're likely heading to Nori in Caldwell, but as promised, I'll post on Monday morning with the final details.

Survey says...

Nori

406 Bloomfield Ave

Caldwell, NJ

Phone: (973) 403-2400

We have a 12:30 reservation (under Curlz :biggrin:) on Thurs. Dec. 2nd. They have a terrific lunch special--it's $12.95 for soup or salad, shumai or gyoza, and 2 rolls off of their extensive list, but you can also order off of the regular menu. They also offer regularly-priced sushi, sashimi, teriyaki and hibachi items, so if you're not a sushi fan, don't let that stop you from joining us! Nori is BYO, so feel free to bring beer, wine or sake.

To date, here's the RSVP list:

Curlz

Stinger + 1

AmyD

ChefDR

LReda

PNapoli ?

Rosie?

Howard88?

If you're a ?, please let me know once you are able to confirm, and of course, if you have a guest coming, let me know that as well.

Looking forward to seeing you all!

Curlz

As of this moment V and I are definitely in!!! We've missed enough eG lunches, dinners and potlucks, it's time to start making up for it :biggrin: See ya all there.

Cheers

Tom

Survey says...

Nori

406 Bloomfield Ave

Caldwell, NJ

Phone: (973) 403-2400

We have a 12:30 reservation (under Curlz :biggrin:) on Thurs. Dec. 2nd.  They have a terrific lunch special--it's $12.95 for soup or salad, shumai or gyoza, and 2 rolls off of their extensive list, but you can also order off of the regular menu.  They also offer regularly-priced sushi, sashimi, teriyaki and hibachi items, so if you're not a sushi fan, don't let that stop you from joining us!  Nori is BYO, so feel free to bring beer, wine or sake.

To date, here's the RSVP list:

Curlz

Stinger + 1

AmyD

ChefDR

LReda

PNapoli ?

Rosie?

Howard88?

If you're a ?, please let me know once you are able to confirm, and of course, if you have a guest coming, let me know that as well. 

Looking forward to seeing you all!

Curlz

I want food and I want it now

Updated RSVP list for this Thursday's sushi lunch at Nori:

Curlz

Stinger + 1

AmyD

ChefDR

LReda

Rooftop1000

PNapoli ?

Rosie?

If anyone else is interested in joining us, please PM me or post here!

Curlz

Most recent version of the list for Thursday...

Curlz

Stinger + 1

AmyD

ChefDR

LReda

Rooftop1000 (Tracey)

Rosie

Still have room for more if anyone else is interested...

The last list posted for tomorrow is the final version, as far as I know.

FYI, there's a municipal parking lot 1/2 block in from Bloomfield Ave on (if Mapquest is right) Gould Avenue. If you're headed East on Blmfld Ave (going towards Verona/Montclair), pass Nori on the right, and take the first right--that should be Gould, and the lot is on the left (even if it isn't Gould)! :biggrin: And/or find an open meter on Bloomfield. See y'all there at 12:30!

And a reminder--cash makes life easier when tallying up the bill...

Curlz

What kind of photos are you showing from down under? You can br so fresh sometimes. :raz: Be careful love.....it is lunch after all.

I'm trying to be there but I might have to pick Sue up in the city. Might be a quick lunch for me but I'm trying.

Edited by Lreda (log)

Quick or not, we hope you can make it, Lou! :biggrin:

And Lou continued to have fun at Rosie's expense at lunch today...'tho she really did keep handing him material!

Good to see y'all today, and I think everyone agreed that Nori is doing the right stuff. Considering that I'm not a huge sushi eater, I'll let others post their thoughts, but I'll say again that their lunch special is a HUGE bargain. Soup, salad (iceberg lettuce, but with ginger dressing--yum), gyoza or shumai (dumplings), and two rolls--all for $12.95. I do think that the others will agree that my favorite roll there, the Snoopy, is pretty awesome. Shrimp tempura roll with an incredibly crunchy and think peanut 'sauce' on it. There's something about the warm tempura with the peanut butter that's just...well...DELISH. :laugh:

ChefDavid took some pics, which I'm sure he'll get on line promptly; Tracey I'm not so sure about! :laugh: And of course, I expect the rest of you to post full reports on the boatloads of sushi you ate.

Tracey, Stinger and the Mrs, great to meet you, and I hope to see you all at future eG gatherings!! The rest of you...well, you know. :cool: