• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cognac

Jason Perlow x

fat guy: bux & i also agree on this point. as a well respected foodie, i have come 2 look frwrd to bux's comments - good or bad! i don't consider the "situations" i encountered @ gascogne to be an anomaly, so for me, i will never go back. as to your other satisfied readers. i'm glad to hear they have not yet experienced gascogne's (frequent) darkside. again, thx to bux's comments which coinside with mine.

For the record, it was the cooking that I most found troubling. No one attempted to steal my clothes and I do not recall an overcharge.

Robert Buxbaum

WorldTable

Recent WorldTable posts include: comments about reporting on Michelin stars in The NY Times, the NJ proposal to ban foie gras, Michael Ruhlman's comments in blogs about the NJ proposal and Bill Buford's New Yorker article on the Food Network.

My mailbox is full. You may contact me via worldtable.com.

thx 4 the clarification & sorry if i had misquoted. gascogne is probably the ONLY place n manhattan i would even attempt 2 dissuade some1, any1, from visiting. but then again, every1 is s.t. 2 their own likes & dislikes. so 4 those who frequent gascogne, enjoy, but beware! end of blasting   :)

I haven't been in a while and the comments I posted are also a bit long in the tooth, so one explanation may be that there has been a decline. That would at least account for everyone's veracity. Let's hope it's a temporary thing.

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

Fat Guy: That would at least account for everyone's veracity. Let's hope it's a temporary thing.
Indeed, truth is an overrated commodity.  ;)

Robert Buxbaum

WorldTable

Recent WorldTable posts include: comments about reporting on Michelin stars in The NY Times, the NJ proposal to ban foie gras, Michael Ruhlman's comments in blogs about the NJ proposal and Bill Buford's New Yorker article on the Food Network.

My mailbox is full. You may contact me via worldtable.com.

• 8 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Do you mean Cordon Bleu?  Martell is a great producer but I am not too familiar with thier names/ages.  I think it goes something like this:

vs-5yrs-$30-35

vsop-10yrs-$40-50

Noblige-?-$60

Cordon Bleu-20-$100-125

xo-20+-$125-150

extra-?-$275-300

L'Or-50+-$1000

One would imagine the silver ribbon comes somewhere between the blue and the gold.  The relevant page of the Martell web-site is here.  

I can't see the answer, but then the web-site seems to be a little out-of-date.  However, you could e-mail them from the site and put the question.

• 2 weeks later...

I mean Argent. Cordon Bleu is available, but Argent isn't. I bought a case of it about 25 years ago. I have one bottle left.

I also had a bottle of Martell Exrta, which is all gone. So sad.

:sad:

Jason and group, I'm with the armagnac crowd.  For $50-$70 you can get a superb bottle at most good spirits stores.  An equivilant cognac (Ragnaud or Delamaine for example) will cost at least as much and, to my taste, not be as enjoyable.  I once bought a bottle of 1943 in Colmar.  I asked the clerk to give me the best bottle he had for $100 (500 FF at the time). It lasted for nearly two years (I only served it to a very select few).  What a treat!  Acker, Merrill and Condit (W 72nd St.), for New Yorkers, has a good selection of reasonably priced very good cogancs and armagnacs.

• 1 year later...

the hubby and i just returned from france over the new year and discovered the marvelous armagnac...so much so we brought a couple of bottles home. we just have some cheap $3 snifters :huh: ... which i'd like to replace as a gift. is there a difference between brands? what should i look for? is there a particular place i should check out (in NYC) as opposed to the typical williams-sonoma or dept store?