• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Kobe beef in Toronto area

smallworld

I'd like to send some wagyu (aka Kobe beef) steaks to my family in the Toronto area. Not living in Canada, this is harder than I thought.

Does anyone know a supplier that will deliver wagyu steaks? Any info would be much appreciated.

Pusateri's on avenue road used to carry wagyu beef. You could certainly try them.

Pusateri's phone number: (416) 785-9100

- Mark

I was just at Pusateri's today, and have been in close contact with my pal, Sal (Pusateri's butcher). They no longer carry wagyu, unfortunately. Only Canada Prime and USDA Prime as their high-end beef product.

If you do find somewhere, please let me know!

I'd like to send some wagyu (aka Kobe beef) steaks to my family in the Toronto area. Not living in Canada, this is harder than I thought.

Does anyone know a supplier that will deliver wagyu steaks? Any info would be much appreciated.

You could try contacting the Canadian Wagyu Association:

URL: Canadian Wagyu Association

Mark

I've got in touch with the association and had a long discussion with their customer relations people.

Based out of Alberta they currently sell to the restaurant and wholesale industry and have no retail agreements here in Toronto. They used to work with Pusateri's but do so no longer.

They will do home delivery but it's going to be a primal cut of at least 100 lbs. He's willing to work with me/us to establish a retail network throughout Toronto.

My questions is this - does anyone out there feel that there could be enough volume through eGullet to form a reasonable syndicate in the Toronto area?

I'm convinced that I could form a syndicate for a 100lb cut, however, I would like to work on something that's a little more permanent.

Any ideas would be helpful and appreciated.

Homer: Are you saying you're never going to eat any animal again? What about bacon?

Lisa: No.

Homer: Ham?

Lisa: No.

Homer: Pork chops?

Lisa: Dad, those all come from the same animal.

Homer: Heh heh heh. Ooh, yeah, right, Lisa. A wonderful, magical animal. (The Simpsons)

You can try a Montreal source. I think it's the same Canadian Kobe beef(Wagyu beef to be precise). It was discussed in the Montreal eG section here. I think they will ship to individuals(no miminum 100 lbs. requirement). He use to have a retail location, but not anymore.

-Steve

Edited by SteveW (log)

Why wouldn't you call them yourself?

Because I'm a lazy bastard hoping to get strangers to do my own work.

OK, not really, and I do plan to call them, but I'm in Japan so with the time difference and all it might take be a while before I get around to it. I guess I figured that since there seems to be a bit of interest here, someone might be able to do it quicker than me. That's all. Sorry.

So I will call, and I will share the results, and I do hope you forgive my impudent request.

My eGullet foodblog: Spring in Tokyo

My regular blog: Blue Lotus

Why wouldn't you call them yourself?

Because I'm a lazy bastard hoping to get strangers to do my own work.

OK, not really, and I do plan to call them, but I'm in Japan so with the time difference and all it might take be a while before I get around to it. I guess I figured that since there seems to be a bit of interest here, someone might be able to do it quicker than me. That's all. Sorry.

So I will call, and I will share the results, and I do hope you forgive my impudent request.

Ozawa is great. I have bought quite a number of things from them. I had forgotten that they supply a lot of the Japanese Restaurants in T.O. Definately a good place to ask.

They sell tatami mats too if you are looking for more Japanese gifts, :laugh: .

Let us know what they say.

Mark