• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

San Francisco, where do the locals eat?

chowfun

We are Philadelphians coming back to San Francisco for a vacation after a 10 year hiatus. We love many different kinds of ethnic food, Mexican, Chinese, Italian, Japanese ... On previous trips we loved Laghi, Kabuto, Mexican food in the Mission district (there was a place with Christmas lights up all year), a restaurant in Chinatown that made only congee and fried bread. Can anyone recommend some more neighborhood gems?

Is Laghi still around? I had several very good dinners there a few years back. Here are a few suggestions:

L'Osteria del Forno in North Beach for casual, real Italian "home cooking." Acquerello for elegant Italian.

Piperade is for Basque. Chapeau!, Clementine, or Fringale for a French bistro.

If you haven't been, Chez Panisse Cafe for lunch. Take the BART.

I think Laghi is gone. I called and their number is disconnected. Thanks for the recommendations. We will be staying close to North Beach and Chinatown and we will have a car. I would love to check out Chez Panisse. Is it a fussy place to eat? My kids have very sophisticated palates, but they are a bit loud, so anything quiet and romantic is out.

With loud kids in tow you've got far fewer options. Shalimar, Ali Baba, and Taco Trucks are the only places I can think of that we've been in the past year or so that have good food and you can bring loud kids.

Chenery Park, in the Glen Park area, is known for being pretty kid friendly. It's a neighborhood place, not really a destination restaurant, but the food is good (sort of nouveau comfort food) and reasonably priced (entrees mostly under $18).

It's not near where you're staying, but it's easy to get to on BART, and parking in the area isn't too bad. Click here for their web site.

Aw, don't worry about the kids, I'm sure they'll be just fine. Heck, if they're eating, they can't be loud at the same time. hehe ;-)

I don't know if this is up your alley, but one hole in the wall that we frequent a lot is Shanghai Dumpling Shop. I did a thread on it a while ago, and to this day, it's one of our staples. This restaurant specializes in all manner of dumplings but our fave is the xiaolongbao. Our last visit had a bunch of broken dumplings though, but after a couple of orders, they smoothed it out. I heard they opened a new shop in Millbrae recently, which might have caused the recent consistency issues. Well, we'll see.

We've had a bunch of things here, but the main draw for us is the xiaolongbao, and on the side, an order of pan fried scallion bread, and an order of the handmade noodles, crap I forget the exact name of the noodle dish. I'll get back to you, or perhaps someone else knows. I heard they do a good lion's head meatball in the claypot, but I've haven't had the chance to try it.

--oh and don't forget to to check out the Ferry Building Market or tanabutler will cry and cry. they aslo have lots of little places to eat and shop and the view when you go to the back on a sunny day is incredible. I think your kids will like this place. Hog Island Oyster Co is here, nuff said. One place you might be interested in is the Recchiuti (sp?) chocolate shop. at first I thought it was a little precious and the flavors weird (pink peppercorn is one) but now it's grown on me and I like it a lot. Also, Ciao Bella gelato shop is here. You can even pick up a bag of heirloom beans from our own rancho_gordo's stand in the front of the Ferry Building. Bunch of other places, too numerous to mention.

Edited by jschyun (log)

I love cold Dinty Moore beef stew. It is like dog food! And I am like a dog.

--NeroW

... a restaurant in Chinatown that made only congee and fried bread.

Probably Hing Lung on Broadway, which is still very good. They do have some other choices, but congee and fried bread are their specialty.

I think Laghi is gone.  I called and their number is disconnected.  Thanks for the recommendations.  We will be staying close to North Beach and Chinatown and we will have a car.  I would love to check out Chez Panisse.  Is it a fussy place to eat?  My kids have very sophisticated palates, but they are a bit loud, so anything quiet and romantic is out.

Respectfully disagree with Melkor, whose palate is far more refined (read: narrow—he has lofty standards that maybe Thomas Keller and some kickbutt taco trucks can please :raz::laugh:) than mine.

I have eaten several times at Habana (www.habana1948.com) at Van Ness/Pacific, though not in a few months. It's pleasantly noisy in there, and the food is good! Not the French Laundry, but good. I would take my teen there in a heartbeat, and she's got a good palate, too. (So good that I rewarded her for her 16th birthday with a trip to Manresa.) It's also got a theme that's fine with me: Cuba in the Forties. The owner is a big supporter of Cuban artists (living), and I am thus happy to support him in his business. The salmon is a keeper.

A note: I found out about this place from my very-most-trusted foodie friend in SF (who has no time for eG)...he knows the owner and is on his list for heads-up mailings. Most-trusted advised me, when I was up there alone, "Check out this place, I think it's reopened." In fact, it was opening night, and I got to meet the chef after I praised the meal to my waiter(s).

When will you be in town? How old are your tasteful hellions? :wink:

You should be sure to check out the Ferry Building. Saturday mornings are best because outside there is a farmer's market and there are some great vendors. But it's good all week. There is a good cheese shop, the Slanted Door (which is a good restaurant but you'll want to make a reservation), ACME bread, a mushroom shop that has various truffles once in a while, some organic produce vendors, a good butcher, and other good things.

Chez Panisse Cafe isn't fussy at all. We took our kids there for lunch the first time when they were about 8 and 10 (they are now 22 and 25) and we had a great time. My younger son wanted pizza, and we were sitting adjacent to the kitchen, so someone there pulled up something for him to stand on so he could could look over the counter and watch them make the pizza and put it in the wood burning oven. I wouldn't hesitate to take kids there, especially for lunch.

I wouldn't take kids to Acquerello. L'Osteria del Forno would be great for you if you are staying in North Beach. It's small, and I don't think they take reservations, so get there when they open for lunch or early for dinner if you don't want to wait. At busy times there is always a line. Piperade, Chapeau!, Clementine, or Fringale would be fine for older kids who appreciate food. So would Zuni and even Boulevard. I remember my kids loved Rose Pistola in North Beach, although I haven't been there in years. The also liked Betelnut and the Slanted Door, which I have always really liked. I haven't been to Slanted Door since they moved to the Ferry Building though, and some have posted negative reviews lately.

I hope this doesnt' sound weird, but if you'll be near North Beach, there's a little place called Capps Corner....VERY downhome Italian. Kind of old and funky, but the real life Rose Pistola LOVED it and ate there frequently (I know, b/c she was my nonna :smile: ). On the other hand, the restaurant, Rose Pistola is a great place and kids fit in very well there!

Edited by NVNVGirl (log)

Consider going to Japantown! The kids will love (regardless of age) and it can be great fun as well as great food. Shawn and I met up with Squeat and wandered around there for several hours, enjoying the shopping as well as the eating.

A quick look at this site: http://www.travelforkids.com/Funtodo/Calif...anciscowest.htm

shows that Japantown is a great place to bring kids and I think you will enjoy eating there as well -- I know I do!

I have no more information than anyone else does with regard to the age of chowfun’s children – chowfun simply said
My kids have very sophisticated palates, but they are a bit loud, so anything quiet and romantic is out.

That to me suggests that anywhere that loud children wouldn’t be welcome wouldn’t be an option. A few weeks ago I was having dinner at Shalimar in the south bay and there were six kids running through the place pummeling each other; at one point one took refuge under our table; another at one point one hid behind my chair – that’s all fine with me, quite entertaining in fact.

(1) There are plenty of San Francisco restaurants that are noisy beyond belief and you won't see a kid in sight -- it's the adults who are creating all the noise.

(2) chowfun simply said "they are a bit loud"... extrapolating from that to cite the example of kids running around under tables is a bit extreme.

(3) Suggesting that there is nothing else kid-friendly in San Francisco other than Shalimar, Ali Baba and Taco Trucks is also a bit extreme, unless you were being facetious.

Having said that, there is (unfortunately, in my view) some truth to the fact that San Francisco restaurants, in general, are not kid-friendly. It's almost like they have child-phobia or something. I have never understood the why part of it. Especially considering my point (1).

Anyway, I have found that noisy places are perfect for noisy kids -- if the kids are making noise, no one will notice.

Here's a few:

- Chow and Park Chow? They are pretty kid friendly.

- I haven't been to Isa in a long time, but they used to be pretty kid friendly.

- Pizetta 211 is child friendly, especially if you sit ouside at lunch time.

- Quince,

- and Antica Trattoria are restaurants with good food but are very noisy, so they should be child friendly (although the tables are place way too close, may not be that suitable for children).

Really, it entirely depends on the demeanour of the kids as to which restaurants you can take them to. In my last visit to Manresa, the table next to ours had two kids -- a 5-ish year old and a 6-ish year old. They were in their most perfect behaviour throught their meal. Impressive!

Wow. Mention kids on this board and the discussion goes wild. My boys are 6 and 9 and they are loud talkers, laughers and unfortunately at times whiners. They are never, ever allowed to run rampant in a restaurant nor would I allow them to throw food or make any kind of scene. They are actually quite well traveled and they have eaten in many fine establishments without incident. We are all much happier in a restaurant that is relaxed about children eating there. Quiet and romantic bad, loud and lively good. A place that takes a really long time to get the food out wouldnt be great either, but that's for us grown-ups!

Thanks for all of the suggestions so far and keep them coming please! We will not be able to get to all of them, but we are coming in during the holidays and I think we will need some plan B's in case wherever we are headed is too crowded.

How about breakfast? Years ago we went to Ella's and loved it. Is it still there? Dim sum in chinatown will also be a must for us.

We will be going to the exploratorium and to Zeum. Any great places for lunch near either of these?

Thanks for all of the suggestions so far and keep them coming please!  We will not be able to get to all of them, but we are coming in during the holidays and I think we will need some plan B's in case wherever we are headed is too crowded.

How about breakfast?  Years ago we went to Ella's and loved it.  Is it still there?  Dim sum in chinatown will also be a must for us. 

We will be going to the exploratorium and to Zeum.  Any great places for lunch near either of these?

Ella's is a mob scene on the weekends, so if you want to go, pick a weekday. I had a breakfast meeting there about a year ago and enjoyed it, although it's hard for me to concentrate on the food during business meals.

I had a wonderful lunch at Pizzetta 211 last weekend, and on our way back from there we browsed the Green Apple bookstore and various Asian shops on Clement St.

allison

I read chowfun as saying his/her kids are a little too loud for quiet, "fussy" restaurants, but old enough that they won't be running around the restaurant and hiding under other tables. (If my kids were ever like that, I wouldn't have taken them to Denny's, much less a good restaurant.) I guess I was assuming they are in the 8 to 13 year range. Maybe I am totally wrong.

I never found San Francisco restaurants to be child unfriendly. The only time I ever remember the slightest hint of a problem taking my kids to one was once when we went to Le Cyrano. It was a fine, reasonably priced, French restaurant on Geary, which I always loved from the time it opened in the early '70's. We showed up one night with a reservation, and the middle-aged French hostess, the wife of one of the owners I believe, greeted us with some concern on here face when she saw the kids. They were about 10 and 12 I think. We all had a great time, and toward the end of the meal, a smiling madame came over to me as I left the table and remarked how well-behaved the kids were.

Edited by Carlsbad (log)

There are also plenty of Chinese places that would be indifferent to kids. Notice that I didn't say welcome, I said indifferent.

There are dim sum places which, during the weekends especially, are full of large family with kids of various age. You and yours should fit in quite well.

chez pim

not an arbiter of taste

Chowfun, my most-trusted foodie friend in the Marina goes to Andale a lot, and I went once with a girlfriend. She had a huge shrimp burrito, served hot with a very savory tomatoey sauce on it. I went with my standard burrito—I loved grilled chicken, and theirs is roasted on a spit. It's in a nice neighborhood, too. It's not "authentic" Mexican per se, but who cares when you've got insanely flavorful and fresh ingredients in a place with nice (though casual) ambience?

Another place that you might have luck with would be the "early bird" dinner at Le Petit Robert--or is that too pricey? The food is so good: simple, flavorful bistro food prepared with top-quality ingredients (organic when possible). Since you'll be on an East Coast body clock, the early dinner might work well in your favor, since it's apt to be uncrowded. It's a very friendly place, and if I lived there, it would be my neighborhood restaurant in a heartbeat. It's on Polk and Greene.

Also, when I ate there, sitting at the table next to us was Alton Brown. He eats there regularly when he comes to town, if that's an endorsement. (I considered it a good one.)

Lastly, if you're coming to San Francisco, you should consider plunking down the $25 for the Entertainment book. The coupons in there for things like tours, the aquarium, the Exploratorium, the zoo, Zeum, California Academy of Sciences, Turbo Ride, and a zillion restaurant two-for-ones (including Andale). You will save so much money. Dining, shopping, travel (half price on lots of hotels), and so on.

Hope that helps. I'll ask the foodie friend about places to eat near Zeum and the Exploratorium.

Believe it or not, I have some more questions!

We are arriving on the morning of December 24 and making a beeline from the airport to Point Reyes. We will likely be looking for some lunch enroute. I dont think we want to get too snarled in city traffic, so something near the airport or on the way to Point Reyes, such as in Marin, would be good.

Also, because the next day is Christmas, we need to pick up some stuff for lunch to keep in our hotel fridge. Any suggestions for picking up some good lunch stuff, and snacks? There is a gourmet shop in Olema, but I have to check the timing to see if we will make it before it closes. Otherwise we need to pick something up in San Francisco or on the way.

We have made reservations at Manka's and the Olema Inn for our two dinners up there.

We will be in SF for New year's eve. We have a sitter. Any grown-ups only recommendations for that evening?

As far as prices go, we are flexible on prices. If a place is expensive, the food should be worth the expense.

I havent heard too much about sushi. I know that you have an embarrassment of riches when it comes to sushi in San Francisco. We are interested in quality over price. Where is the best sushi in SF? We have really liked Kabuto and we are likely to go there. Any other places?

Believe it or not, I have some more questions!

We are arriving on the morning of December 24 and making a beeline from the airport to Point Reyes.  We will likely be looking for some lunch enroute.  I dont think we want to get too snarled in city traffic, so something near the airport or on the way to Point Reyes, such as in Marin, would be good.

Also, because the next day is Christmas, we need to pick up some stuff for lunch  to keep in our hotel fridge.  Any suggestions for picking up some good lunch stuff, and snacks?  There is a gourmet shop in Olema, but I have to check the timing to see if we will make it before it closes.  Otherwise we need to pick something up in San Francisco or on the way.

We have made reservations at Manka's and the Olema Inn for our two dinners up there.

We will be in SF for New year's eve.  We have a sitter.  Any grown-ups only recommendations for that evening?

As far as prices go, we are flexible on prices.  If a place is expensive, the food should be worth the expense. 

I havent heard too much about sushi.  I know that you have an embarrassment of riches when it comes to sushi in San Francisco.  We are interested in quality over price. Where is the best sushi in SF?  We have really liked Kabuto and we are likely to go there.  Any other places?

Stop in Mill Valley for lunch. Best deal is Jennie Lows lunch special. Pick up goodies at Mill Valley market and your on your way. First rule for me is out of the city and on my way.

Bruce Frigard

Quality control Taster, Château D'Eau Winery

"Free time is the engine of ingenuity, creativity and innovation"

111,111,111 x 111,111,111 = 12,345,678,987,654,321

Also, because the next day is Christmas, we need to pick up some stuff for lunch  to keep in our hotel fridge.  Any suggestions for picking up some good lunch stuff, and snacks?  There is a gourmet shop in Olema, but I have to check the timing to see if we will make it before it closes.  Otherwise we need to pick something up in San Francisco or on the way.

I'm not sure about a gourmet place in Olema-I think that's kind of a stretch- but there are some good places in Point Reyes Station. Call the Cowgirl Creamery & see how late they are planning to be open: http://www.cowgirlcreamery.com/aboutus/ (they are just off Highway One, in town) Their cheese is fabulous!!!

In Point Reyes Station, right in town on Highway One, is a GREAT bakery-the Bovine Bakery. Perfect sourdough to go w/ your cheese, plus good cookies for after a hike. (Please tell me you are hiking.) Across the street from the bakery is a good grocery store-lots of organic fruits & vegetables, plus the full line of Strauss Creamery products. (there's a difference)

If you shop at those three places, you will feast at Christmas.

You will be driving out Sir Francis Drake Blvd.-you'll pass lots of towns with good places to eat. Fairfax is the last one-they've got a number of good spots, including a Thai place that escapes me at the moment.

Mill Valley Market is also great, but I doubt that it will be much fun to shop at on Christmas Eve. Point Reyes will be less crowded.