• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Matyson Revisited

rlibkind

Finally made it to Matyson for lunch today, after all other plans to get there somehow got waylaid (waylayed?). As it happens, this week they are celebrating their first anniversary.

What took me so long ! ! ! ! !

She Who Must Be Obeyed adores parsinips, so it was a no brainer for her to go with the parsnip soup as a first. A nice, creamy light concoction set off wonderfully by the dollop of orange concasse (or did they call it marmalade? - I forget). My black bean bean soup, while not quite as stunning as the parsnip, was enlivened by very fresh scallions.

SWMBO hadn't had a muffuletta since a visit to N.O. many moons ago, so it was also a no brainer when she saw that item on the menu. Served with fantastic french fries. (Holly, if the best fries in town are at Bellini Grill are the best in town, Matyson's has got to be a close second.) The sandwich itself was a masterwork, so long as you like your pork roasted with plenty of rosemary.

My duck confit was superb, served over creamy, tasty orzo spiked with some portobello, greens and who knows what else. By the time I was done, nothing was left on the leg but the bone, and it was a very meaty (and not overly salty) confit.

SWMBO complained about the chocolate ice cream (she always complains about any chocolate that does not send her to immediate orgasm), but I noticed there was none left when she put her spoon down. As for me. well, Bontsche Sweig can have his sweet roll over day in Heaven; I'll take Matyson's coconut cream pie.

We wiill be back, and it won't take a year.

Bob Libkind aka "rlibkind"

Robert's Market Report

• 7 months later...

Wow, first visit to this place last night. Great night!

It was my wife's birthday, so I stopped by PLCB to pick up the Yering Station Shiraz. Had pre-dinner drinks at Ritz-Carlton's Rotunda bar (highly recommended). Anyone ever have their afternoon tea? My wife is thinking of trying it and the server said they are now having it from Wednesday to Saturday ($30). Wife had a cosmo, but instead of vodka, it was made with sake, very tasty.

On to Matyson. I guess we were lucky because they were having their Mid-week Tasting Menu ($40 for 5 courses) and Thursday was the last night for their 'BBQ' tasting menu. My wife ordered it and I had Calamari Confit and Pacific Halibut, ending with the above mentioned coconut cream pie (YUMMY!). I don't know if it's too cruel to mention what was available for the BBQ menu, but here it is:

1. Grilled Tuna

2. Grilled Sweetbread

3. BBQ Duck

4. Grilled Pork

5. Peach Polenta

I'm not giving the above items justice, but they were all wonderful. Highlights for me was the chorizo sausage in calamari confit and the toasted coconuts on the cream pie. Everything was excellent and the Yering Station was a little oaky, but went well with everything. We will definitely return, but this mid-week tasting menu is an excellent deal. Though the portions aren't huge, my wife was pretty full by the pork.

Edited by robertruelan (log)

Wow, first visit to this place last night. Great night!

It was my wife's birthday, so I stopped by PLCB to pick up the Yering Station Shiraz. Had pre-dinner drinks at Ritz-Carlton's Rotunda bar (highly recommended). Anyone ever have their afternoon tea? My wife is thinking of trying it and the server said they are now having it from Wednesday to Saturday ($30). Wife had a cosmo, but instead of vodka, it was made with sake, very tasty.

Had the afternoon tea at the Ritz-Carlton. It's lovely.

• 4 weeks later...

We showed up at Melograno but saw they were closed for vacation. Not to be stuck with a bottle, we called Matyson and they said they had a table open so we zoomed over.

I had been there once before and enjoyed it. I liked it even more this time.

Crab salad over heirloom tomatoes served on grilled bread with avocado paste. Topped with oranges. Sounds busy but was light and very good.

For entree, I had the roast rack of lamb with gorgonzola sauce. It was served with a great polenta with a sharp cheese mixed in. Peach/pine nut/arugula salad on the side. Excellent.

I remember their desserts being particular strong and I shared the warm chocolate hazelnut tart with my wife. It was topped with a very delicately flavored coffee ice cream. Delicious.

Dinner for 4 - $200 incl tip.

Good show, Matyson!

Evan

Dough can sense fear.

• 4 weeks later...

We went night before last. I went for the offal meal - foie gras and sweetbreads - both were absolutely outsanding. Others in my group had "milder" fare - Steak Frites, Crab, etc. The desserts were also outstanding. Several had the Banana Cream Pie (always great) and I opted for the flan - also outstanding.

I note that LaBan has always ignored this place, which is a godsend. You can still get a reservation here. It is also nice that they added themselves to Open Table.

Still it is one of my faves here.

• 4 months later...

Matyson is still one of my favorite byobs when I am in Philadelphia. This weekend I joined friends for a celebration and enjoyed fantastic service and food. For starters I had what chef is calling a "Sticky Bun II" - which is a pinwheel of flaky dough layered with dried fig and then topped with a generous mound of melting duck confit and tidbits of pink grapefruit. I also sampled the poached lobster salad which was first rate, though on the small side (hence I did not get a big sample.) My main course was a perfectly prepared whole bronzino that had been partially de-boned - with sprigs of rosemary and lemon slices tucked inside, between filets served with broccoli and sun dried tomatoes. It was just the right size fish - slightly longer than the plate and extremely meaty. I had been waivering between it and the wild rock fish and the waiter steered me to the bronzino. Other entrees at the table were a seafood chowder, duck breast, scallops, and the roast chicken. With my new years' resolutions still in force, I could only stare longingly at the desserts! They mentioned that they will be participating in Restaurant Week, although it sounded as though this was a reluctant decision driven more by the competition than by any profit potential. The room was full to the gills throughout the evening.

• 5 months later...

Thought I'd bump up this thread because Matyson's tasting menu this week is World Cup-themed. I don't have time to go, but I sure like the idea...

1 World, 1 Sport, 1 Month

32 Countries

Japan

Hamachi Sashimi

Citrus salad, miso vinaigrette

Germany

Warm Potato Salad

Caviar, 1\2 cooked salmon

Australia

The Fish from Down Under

Barramundi, ginger, scallions & black beans

Trinidad & Tobago

Coconut Lamb Stew

Italy

White Chocolate Affogato Sundae

$45, 5 courses, available Monday thru Thursday. Reservations recommended.

If anyone goes, please report back!