• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Best Hurricane

jhlurie

This could have gone in the American South forum... but I decided to try here instead.  The Hurricane in some senses is kind of a throwaway drink--it's fruit juice and Rum, for pete's sake.  But despite that, I've heard some strong opinions over the years about which bar in the Big Easy makes the best Hurricane.

Next time I visit N.O. instead of drinking my way up and down Bourbon Street I'm going to pick and choose a bit more.  So where, my fellow eGulleteers, should I focus my efforts?

Jon Lurie, aka "jhlurie"

• 4 weeks later...
Pat O'Briens :wow:  :raz:

And, believe it or not, there is now a NO rum, which I've not had:

http://www.neworleansrum.com/

Man, have I heard that one argued through the years.  "Pat O'Briens rules", "Pat O"Briens sucks" and every possible reaction in between.

I'm curious.  Are Hurricanes even served outside the Quarter in N.O.?  Somehow, if so, I suspect that the best one is in some little bar elsewhere in the city.

Jon Lurie, aka "jhlurie"