• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Rakia

Stone

A few years back I took a vacation to Croatia (which I highly recommend to everyone) and brought back a bottle of home-made liquour -- Rakia.  It's similar to Ouzo (strong, anise flavored), and bottled with an assortment of herbs.  I finished the bottle, and am trying to find more.  I live in the SF bay area.  Any leads?

Heck if you find any, let the board know (after you've ensured your own supply, of course).  Since Ouzo is great stuff, it does sound interesting.

I think our California community is a bit thin here so far, but I know that several here are experts in mail-ordering booze.

That said, if the liquor was available elsewhere in the country, would you be up to mail order?  That sometimes requires a pretty big outlay--ordering by the case if its coming from a distributor...

Of course if someone here actually knows a distributor of the stuff, you could also try to talk a local liquor store into splitting the order with you.

Jon Lurie, aka "jhlurie"

I can't help you with locating any Rakia (being in Edinburgh, UK), but I would say that if you do find it, it may be not quite what you remember. Rakia is one of those home made boozes that tends to differ from location to location. Most of them are strongly Anise flavoured, but sometimes they can be very faintly flavoured and are more like Grappa. Ah, Rakia. The last time I had it was at my cousins funeral, my uncles had made about five litres of the stuff. It was a very weird wake.