• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

All in the name . . .

KatieM

I know this is a lot to ask of you all, but I thought with so many creative minds, you might be able to help me come up with a suitable name for my cake business. It's been operable for about 18 months, but since I've just relocated, I have an opportunity to change the name if I like. Plus, I'm currently in the process of forming a website, new business cards, etc., with the help of a graphic designer. So whatever name I pick, I'm kind of going to have to stick with. So here's a little background so you have an idea what I'm looking for.

I mostly do wedding and special occasion cakes, but I also do a lot of dinner parties and catered events, so it isn't just cakes. I do pies, tarts, pastry, candies, chocolate and pretty much anything else someone might ask me to do. I like to keep the business very customized, and I try not to do any of my cakes more than once. So the current name is Katie's Custom Confections. I'm not completely sold on it, and I mainly do NOT want anything that sounds really cheesy. Also, my brother is a culinary chef, and it is very likely that we will form some sort of joint venture in the future, when we both have more experience and more capital. So I'd like to have a name that could concievably morph into or join into another, bigger business later on.

Anything else I could tell you? I live in Central Illinois,so I'm not sure if that is relevant, but idealy the name could resonate nationally as well as locally (wishful thinking now!) It's really frustrating, this name game. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated. Even if the suggestion is to name my own business and to leave you guys alone! :wink:

What do you think?

"First rule in roadside beet sales, put the most attractive beets on top. The ones that make you pull the car over and go 'wow, I need this beet right now'. Those are the money beets." Dwight Schrute, The Office, Season 3, Product Recall

Katie, since you say your brother may be joining you, and you, I take it, plan to expand the business to include food other than sweets, why not just go with "Custom Cusine" ? It shows "made to order" (Custom) and the fact that you have more than just sweets to offer (Cusine). Sound good to you? Best of luck with the new location and venture! :biggrin:

Edited because I can't type worth a damn!

Edited by judiu (log)

"Commit random acts of senseless kindness"

Hmm . . . both very good suggestions! Kakes, though. That's kind of fun and abstract. However, my mom made me promise that any business I started would not have any cleverly mispelled words in the name. She finds these offensive, as she is an English teacher. But I really like that one. Maybe something in that vein, though? I suppose I could always explain that I do more than cakes on another line. Something like "Your custom confectionary solution for weddings, birthdays, dinner parties, etc." Or something like that. Any joint venture with my brother (whatever that may be) would probably have to involve a name change anyway, though it could always say something like Such and Such place, featuring Kakes. Then again, I have no idea. Does any of this make any sense? Thanks again so much for your help and suggestions, everyone!

Katie

"First rule in roadside beet sales, put the most attractive beets on top. The ones that make you pull the car over and go 'wow, I need this beet right now'. Those are the money beets." Dwight Schrute, The Office, Season 3, Product Recall

Cake it Easy Custom Confections

Cake-A-Palooza

Cake Whammy

Katie's Cake Classics

Praline State Confections

Marsha Lynch aka "zilla369"

Has anyone ever actually seen a bandit making out?

Uh-huh: just as I thought. Stereotyping.

My first thought was "Stacked"....but then I got to the part where you dont' want anything cheesy :laugh: and something to morph into another potential endeavor. I have no idea how liberal Illinois is....but I still think Stacked is a good name for a cake business :unsure:

If you decide to stay independent you might try

Bakewell's or Bake for you

But, if you and your brother are definitely going to team up then you should keep it simple. Most people only want to remember one word.

Wellington's or sugar or something of that nature. Also single words pass more quickly by word of mouth.

I hope this helps and I wish you success.

If only Jack Nicholson could have narrated my dinner, it would have been perfect.

I don't know what your last name is (M something?) but maybe you could use it somehow-- this way, it's personalized and inclusive of your brother, but it also won't be a problem if he doesn't join up with you or if he joins up a long time from now.

I know that's not much of an idea, but I'm not feeling too creative these days...

Good luck. :smile:

"There is no worse taste in the mouth than chocolate and cigarettes. Second would be tuna and peppermint. I've combined everything, so I know."

--Augusten Burroughs

Chicago Cake Company

Chicago Custom Cakes

Katie's Custom Confectionary [est. 2002]

It doesn't matter that you aren't in Chicago proper for the first two if you're aiming for a national distribution. My $.02 and yes I do logos!

Edited by johnnyd (log)

"I took the habit of asking Pierre to bring me whatever looks good today and he would bring out the most wonderful things," - bleudauvergne

foodblogs: Dining Downeast I - Dining Downeast II

Portland Food Map.com

so many creative suggestions for what sounds like a wonderfully delicious business

this might be too cheesy - Cakes - we make them the way you want (like) them

Confectionary Creations

I really liked Chicago Cake Company but it sounds a little big/industrial as a potential customer i think its really important to impart the 'for you' individual part.

Cake Creations

Creative Cakes

As I brainstorm here I realized that I might be repeating suggestions - I cant remember whats been said already, sorry

Have you heard of Magnolia its a bakery in NYC they make some of the best cupcakes in the world I'm not sure if the full name is Magnolia Bakery or just Magnolia - regardless its by reputation that they are know for their cupcakes - is there a name like that which would incorporate you and your brother without exactly spelling out what you do? and then you could add in smaller print a few words of explaination

good luck

What street are you on?? Nothing like a great location plug every time you see/hear/say the name

Cooper Street Cakes

Cooper Bakery

Cooper Cakery

Katie's on Cooper

For this very reason, I went with Acme Cakes because I have struggled with 'the name' thing for ever!!! I really liked Theobroma too, 'food of the gods' or Ambrosia same meaning - but ...went with acme cakes...but I really like ambrosia! Ahh yah, did I say I struggled forever - maybe still struggling :laugh:

Edited by K8memphis (log)

I love "acme cakes" ----makes me think of the Road Runner and other silliness. It's one of those names that will stick in your head and is totally fitting of your personality.

Can't stand my company name...too hard to say cuz it all runs together. Iced Dreams....blech. Not fitting of my personality at all. And I always have to spell it out becuase those two "d's" seem to confuse people.

Kelley

Katie's Kitchen

Custom Cakes & Confections

Both of these have great logo possibilities.... a double "K" on the first; a triple "C" on the second.

Edited by Jaymes (log)

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

KatieKakes

(kind of like pattycakes). Fun. Clever. Creative. You can still do other things, not just cakes.

I think there is a Creative Cakes in every town in America. Custom blah blah blah gets longwinded. You need something memorable, and clever. Logos are then easier to come up with and design around as well.

KatieKakes rolls off the tongue...

I like to cook with wine. Sometimes I even add it to the food.

oh, "Stacked" is awesome.. wish I'd thought of that. I can tell you I wish I'd named my business something else. It's a long story, but once your legal docs are signed, it's a done deal. a friend of mine here in Portland named her specialty cake business

cake

all lowercase, simple, and distinct

Melissa McKinney

Chef/Owner Criollo Bakery

mel@criollobakery.com