• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Canadian Apple Crisp

Dejah

Here you are....jo-mel!

This is a recipe found on the cans of E.D. Smith apple pie filling. I haven't seen it on any cans in recent years. It remains one of my family's favourite treats.

Canadian Apple Crisp

1 - 19 oz. can E.D. Smith Apple Pie Filling.

( I have used homemade apple pie filling)

1 cup all purpose flour

1/4 cup sugar

1 1/2 tsp baking powder

1/2 tsp salt

1 1/2 cups shredded Canadian medium cheddar cheese

1/3 cup melted butter

1/4 cup milk

1. Spoon apple pie filling into a shallow 1 qt. baking dish

2. Combine flour, sugar, baking powder, salt and cheese.

3. Add melted butter and milk until well blended.

4. Spoon the mixture over the filling.

5. Bake at 375F for 25-35 minutes until golden brown.

This makes 6 servings. I never believe this kind of info' so I double the recipe mand make a 9x13 pan full. :wink:

This stuff is great right out of the oven...or cool a bit and topped with vanilla ice cream.

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

Thanks SO much, Dejah!! I plan to make it this week-end.

My Mother always loved apple pie with a slice of cheddar. I could never understand why, (?cold cheese on warm pie?) and thought it was just her Canadian thing. But melted cheddar is a whole nother taste sensation.

We don't get that brand of canned apples here, but Comstock should do. Actually, I'm a BIG fan of dried apples (from the soft packages) that I soak in very hot water until they are like soft sliced apples. But it is the topping that I want to try.

Thanks again!

• 1 year later...
My mom always swore by Northern Spy apples for baking. They are not so easy to find, and I doubt if ED Smith uses them.

e.d. Smith uses Northern Spy apples: website. Retail product under the e.d. Smith brand is available in Canada. Although they do do private label work for U.S. Supermarkets, including Wakefern (Shop Rite) and Wegman's, they limit this to salad dressings and marinades. Couldn't tell from website whether the pie filling is available in U.S., but although Northern Spy is hard to find as a fresh apple, except at the stands of orchards which grow them, they are a big canning apple, much favored by processors. Not only in canned apple ie filling, but for frozen apple pies. Although their website doesn't specify the variety, I would suspect Comstock uses Northern Spy, too.

Bob Libkind aka "rlibkind"

Robert's Market Report

• 2 weeks later...
My mom always swore by Northern Spy apples for baking. They are not so easy to find, and I doubt if ED Smith uses them.

e.d. Smith uses Northern Spy apples: website. Retail product under the e.d. Smith brand is available in Canada. Although they do do private label work for U.S. Supermarkets, including Wakefern (Shop Rite) and Wegman's, they limit this to salad dressings and marinades. Couldn't tell from website whether the pie filling is available in U.S., but although Northern Spy is hard to find as a fresh apple, except at the stands of orchards which grow them, they are a big canning apple, much favored by processors. Not only in canned apple ie filling, but for frozen apple pies. Although their website doesn't specify the variety, I would suspect Comstock uses Northern Spy, too.

Thanks for the information on E.D. Smith and the use of Spies by canners. It reinforces my basic faith in an old, mature industry. I believe Smith has a plant i n Western N.Y. as well as Ontario.