• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

eGullet Outing at Mandalay

Al_Dente

Well then, which dish, Mr. Dente?

Any one (or two?) from the following:

Tofu MoteNyinChin Gyaw: Tofu

Tofu stir-fried with sour mustard, onion and cilantro (vegetarian)

Ngar MaGee Thee Hin: Catfish

Lightly fried catfish simmered in onion-tomato based curry with tamarind and green pepper

KyetThar BooThee Hin: Chicken

Chicken chunks and long squash simmered in onion curry sauce

ShweJi: Cream of wheat, coconut cream, sugar, raisin and milk topped with poppy seeds and baked until golden brown, for dessert. *

* Just kidding about the last one.

I suggest this with the assumption there are other hot-heads in our group. Shoot me down if I'm wrong!

Edited to add assumption...

Edited by Al_Dente (log)

peak performance is predicated on proper pan preparation...

-- A.B.

My initial comment about heat levels wasn't an effort to get everything to be mild...I'm more in favor of an even split - some mild, some medium, some hot. With 6 entrees, that'd be two each; so this doesn't get TOO complicated I'd say go with 2 of Al_Dente's requests for the hots....maybe the shrimp & noodles medium and the other 2 mild?

"What, after all, is more seductive than the prospect of sinning in libraries?"

Michael Dirda, An Open Book

Have a good time--wish I could make it!

On the Pork w/bitter melon: I received the same comment ("are you sure?") the first time I ordered it. Maybe my definition of bitter is different than most, but it wasn't bitter at all. More like the Indian rough analog of bitter (the-tho) which isn't bitter like coffee, but more bitter like escarole or certain types of squas. It is great.

Don't go for anything mild! If you must, they can give you pepper sauce on the side.

Also, Tom Sietsema reviews Mandalay today in the Post Mag. 2 stars--methinks it would have been 3 except for the service. I've never had a problem, but then again, I'm a regular.

K

Since you were considerate enough to include so many vegetarian choices, count me in. I'll be bringing my carnivorous husband as well. I must admit that I'm pretty much a wuss when it comes to spices, but husband likes the tongue-searing heat.

Attendees:

Malawry (possibly +3)

JPW +2

EllenH +1

Chef Shogun

Sashorter

Al Dente +1

Bilrus +1

Hillvalley (possibly +1)

Mrs P +1

Painemilla +1

Gastro888 (pretty sure)

Mktye +4

KVentura +1 (As a former vegetarian myself, I tried to look out for you, and am glad to be rewarded with your attendance! :biggrin:)

Mdt

Remember, I need your RSVPs by this Wednesday. Specifically, Wednesday at 7pm! Please solidify your "maybe" friends by then.

Upon reflection, I am leaning towards asking for medium and mild versions of most of the dishes, plus maybe one truly hot dish for the chile fiends.

Upon reflection, I am leaning towards asking for medium and mild versions of most of the dishes, plus maybe one truly hot dish for the chile fiends.

Maybe just go "hot" on one of them, not "extra hot". Though that might be splittin chilis... :wink:

peak performance is predicated on proper pan preparation...

-- A.B.

Malawry (definitely +2)

JPW +2

EllenH +1

Chef Shogun

Sashorter

Al Dente +1

Bilrus +1

Hillvalley (possibly +1)

Mrs P +1

Painemilla +1

Gastro888

Mktye +4

KVentura +1

Mdt

Tomdc

Rvanrens +1

Tomdc, I suspect the food as it would be in Burma would generally be hotter than most people attending would prefer.

Mnebergall, no corkage allowed. There is a limited beer and wine list though apparently, so you can buy your brewskies there.

Thanks for organizing this Malawry.

We swung by for a quick bite tonight, and yes they do have a limted beer and wine selection available. I recall they had standards - Rolling Rock, Amstel, Corona, etc. They were out of Singha! Oh well. Anyway, I had the shrimp with sour mustard (GO Medium spicy!) and it was a treat. Can't wait for next week!

Tomdc, I suspect the food as it would be in Burma would generally be hotter than most people attending would prefer.

Also, some dishes are usually eaten without forks and by hand. Some of the "thokes", as they call it, are eaten with your hand.

Final list:

Malawry (definitely +2)

JPW +1.25

EllenH +1

Chef Shogun

Sashorter

Al Dente +1

Bilrus +1

Hillvalley (possibly +1)

Mrs P +1

Painemilla +1

Gastro888

Mktye +4

KVentura +1

Mdt

Tomdc

Rvanrens +1

Mnebergall

I'll PM each of you by Sunday with additional details.

I plan to bring my camera too, but sometimes I forget so I'm glad Bilrus plans to bring his too.

We try to be warm and fuzzy to our newbies. Or at least I try to be. If you get as sucked into eG as I am, then I won't have to feel so bad about the time I spend here. :rolleyes:

Drat! I've wanted to get tapped in to eGullet, haven't yet made it to Mandalay (foolishly have tried walking in on a weekend night), and live about two blocks from there...

Unfortunately, I'll be in Cleveland (aren't you jealous?). Look forward to hearing what everybody thinks. Have a great time.

Here are some pics of the dishes from tonight. I'll throw in my two cents worth of commentary tomorrow.

Baya Gyaw: Gram Fritters

yellow split peas, ginger, garlic, and cilantro blended and deep-fried

gallery_7851_471_1103082724.jpg

Ginn Thoke: Ginger Salad

Shredded ginger, cabbage, onion tossed with Burmese dressing, garnished with fried garlic, crispy yellow peas and carrots

gallery_7851_471_1103082850.jpg

WetThar KyetHinGarThee Gyaw: Pork

Sliced pork sauteed with bitter melon

gallery_7851_471_1103083367.jpg

KyarZan Gyaw: Noodles

Thin noodles stir-fried with cabbage, carrot and green onion

gallery_7851_471_1103083296.jpg

Tofu MoteNyinChin Gyaw: Tofu

Tofu stir-fried with sour mustard, onion and cilantro

gallery_7851_471_1103083734.jpg

Ngar MaGee Thee Hin: Catfish

Lightly fried catfish simmered in onion-tomato based curry with tamarind and green pepper

gallery_7851_471_1103083999.jpg

PaZun OhnNoh Hin: Shrimp

Shrimp, green pepper, onion and tomato in coconut curry sauce

gallery_7851_471_1103083436.jpg

KyetThar BooThee Hin: Chicken

Chicken chunks and long squash simmered in onion curry sauce

gallery_7851_471_1103083513.jpg

ShweJi: Cream of wheat, coconut cream, sugar, raisin and milk topped with poppy seeds and baked until golden brown

gallery_7851_471_1103083806.jpg

Edited by bilrus (log)

Bill Russell