• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

eGullet Outing at Mandalay

Al_Dente

I am very sorry to do this, but it turns out I cannot make the 12th. Which means that every weekend in December is unavailable for me. If ya'll still want dinner to be on the 12th we can do it then, but I cannot attend or make the financial arrangements. I would prefer to move it to a weeknight so I can attend. However, I realize that many of you cannot make weeknights. If there is a weeknight the week of December 12 that you can make, please post here or PM me.

I spoke with Aung today about working up a menu--I hope to set a menu and get a price for us in the next day or two.

The 13th or 14th works for me.

peak performance is predicated on proper pan preparation...

-- A.B.

OK, we are definitely on for Tuesday, December 14 at 7pm.

Expected price point is about $15.

Here is the menu:

Baya Gyaw: Gram Fritters

yellow split peas, ginger, garlic, and cilantro blended and deep-fried (vegetarian)

Ginn Thoke: Ginger Salad

Shredded ginger, cabbage, onion tossed with Burmese dressing, garnished with fried garlic, crispy yellow peas and carrots (vegetarian)

KyarZan Gyaw: Noodles

Thin noodles stir-fried with cabbage, carrot and green onion (vegetarian)

Tofu MoteNyinChin Gyaw: Tofu

Tofu stir-fried with sour mustard, onion and cilantro (vegetarian)

Ngar MaGee Thee Hin: Catfish

Lightly fried catfish simmered in onion-tomato based curry with tamarind and green pepper

PaZun OhnNoh Hin: Shrimp

Shrimp, green pepper, onion and tomato in coconut curry sauce

WetThar KyetHinGarThee Gyaw: Pork

Sliced pork sauteed with bitter melon

KyetThar BooThee Hin: Chicken

Chicken chunks and long squash simmered in onion curry sauce

ShweJi: Cream of wheat, coconut cream, sugar, raisin and milk topped with poppy seeds and baked until golden brown, for dessert.

If you would like to go, please PM me or post here. I MUST KNOW your plans NO LATER THAN Wednesday, December 8. Please plan to bring cash with you. Beverages and gratuity are not included (I am pretty sure they do not have a liquor license). I'll post attendance lists as people RSVP.

I for one am really looking forward to that pork dish--apparently it's a bit edgy with the bitter melon. Aung asked me, "Are you sure you want to order that?" :hmmm:

Wow, $15! Excellent. I'll have to check with my official scheduler, but I should be in for 2. I'll know by Monday.

Can we bring wine? And if so, any suggestions Mr Rocks/Wabeck/Slater?

Edited by Al_Dente (log)

peak performance is predicated on proper pan preparation...

-- A.B.

Wow, $15! Excellent. I'll have to check with my official scheduler, but I should be in for 2. I'll know by Monday.

Can we bring wine? And if so, any suggestions Mr Rocks/Wabeck/Slater?

In a situation such as this (sour mustard, etc.), I adhere to the principles of Taoism, i.e., Tsing Tao.

OK, so so far we have:

Malawry

JPW +2

EllenH +1

Chef Shogun

Sashorter

Maybes/people who have expressed interest but not committed:

Al Dente

Mktye

Mrs. P

KVentura

Rvanrens

Bilrus

Wrash

Gear02

Anybody else?

Hey guys, not to be a complete wimp or anything, but could I request an even distribution between "medium" heat and "spicy/extra spicy"? I like some zip to my food but don't want to be crying "oh no!" after taking a bite of the PaZun OhnNoh Hin [oh no, "ohnNoh", heh-heh......sorry] :blink:

"What, after all, is more seductive than the prospect of sinning in libraries?"

Michael Dirda, An Open Book

I have not specified heat levels on any of these dishes. Those who are coming, perhaps you should state your preferences? I can talk to Aung about it when I call him back with a number of attendees.

Baya Gyaw: Gram Fritters

yellow split peas, ginger, garlic, and cilantro blended and deep-fried (vegetarian)

Is this the traditional final night of Channukah dish :wink:

I'm in, with a possible guest. And I vote for mild heat so we can still taste what we are eating.

True Heroism is remarkably sober, very undramatic.

It is not the urge to surpass all others at whatever cost,

but the urge to serve others at whatever cost. -Arthur Ashe

Attendees:

Malawry (possibly +3)

JPW +2

EllenH +1

Chef Shogun

Sashorter

Al Dente +1

Bilrus +1

Hillvalley (possibly +1)

So far, heat level consensus seems to be that things should be mild. Sorry, Chef Shogun. :rolleyes: