• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

eGullet Outing at Mandalay

Al_Dente

My parents are Burmese so I grew up on the food.

I think we just found our culinary tour guide on an eGullet outing BURMESE-STYLE!

Whaddaya say gear02?

Al

Associate Deputy Vice-Chief Co-Instigator

peak performance is predicated on proper pan preparation...

-- A.B.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm into the idea of a Mandalay gathering too, and am willing to organize it.

How's the week of December 6? Who's game? What nights that week work for you?

Oh, cool! Thanks for taking charge, Malawry.

Monday the 6th and Tuesday the 7th are out for me. I'd vote for Thursday the 9th.

"What, after all, is more seductive than the prospect of sinning in libraries?"

Michael Dirda, An Open Book

Oh, cool! Thanks for taking charge, Malawry.

Monday the 6th and Tuesday the 7th are out for me. I'd vote for Thursday the 9th.

I'm game...but weekends work better for me since I live in Fairfax and don't relish the idea of driving to maryland during rush hour...

I work about 1/2 mile away, so I'm pretty sure I could make it. Isn't there a Bourdain thing going on 12/6?

peak performance is predicated on proper pan preparation...

-- A.B.

I'd probably be up for going, but that is almost far enough away from Loudoun County that I might need to find lodging.

I'd put you up Bill, but I don't think that Peanut's crib is quite big enough.

If someone writes a book about restaurants and nobody reads it, will it produce a 10 page thread?

Joe W

I just called and spoke to Aung. They are open on Sunday nights, so that is a possibility. Since they are still figuring out things in their new location, they are not currently taking reservations. He said they could probably accommodate us on a Sunday most easily before 6:30 or after 8pm (Sundays have been very busy there). He also said a weeknight would be far preferable to them. We briefly discussed putting together a special menu. Let's hear more date suggestions. I'm going to try to stop by Friday afternoon to discuss more details with Aung, so PM me or post here by then. I'm totally flexible.

Bill, if you seriously need a place to stay, my futon should be available. :smile:

Bill, if you seriously need a place to stay, my futon should be available. :smile:

Thanks but that was just me being wacky after not getting home until 1 after Restaurant Eve, which is still technically in Virginia. I think I can make the trek.

I can always sleep in the back of my hulking SUV if I need to. :wink:

Bill Russell

Thanks but that was just me being wacky after not getting home until 1 after Restaurant Eve, which is still technically in Virginia.  I think I can make the trek. 

I can always sleep in the back of my hulking SUV if I need to. :wink:

Just stay away from Mark Slater's caravan... :wink:

I like to cook with wine. Sometimes I even add it to the food.

I'm still planning to put together a dinner for us there, but Aung wasn't around when I came by last Friday and then I got too busy with other things to set it up with him. I'm still taking suggestions for dates, though! Right now Sunday, Dec. 12 is looking most popular, so if that doesn't work for you make your voice heard. :biggrin:

I'm still planning to put together a dinner for us there, but Aung wasn't around when I came by last Friday and then I got too busy with other things to set it up with him. I'm still taking suggestions for dates, though! Right now Sunday, Dec. 12 is looking most popular, so if that doesn't work for you make your voice heard. :biggrin:

I'll be out of town that day, but I promise not to pout if that's the chosen day.

Bill Russell

Well, I don't know 'bout nobuddy else, but Dec 12 is fine for me...Sundays are generally REEEL good, seein's how I don't work Mondays.

Rob

A heads up from today's Ask Tom:

Silver Spring, MD: Any thoughts on Mandalay, the new Burmese restaurant in Downtown Silver Spring that I believe relocated from College Park? Wife and I are thinking of trying it out.

Tom Sietsema: (Almost) perfect timing. My review of the Burmese restaurant is right around the corner. Can you wait a week?

Could be busy the following week...

Bill Russell

Thanks for the heads up, Bill.

I'm planning to book us for the 12th when I return to town this weekend, unless somebody has objections.

Possible eGullet Outing at Mandalay

Candi-DATE: December 12th

Me thinks a certain forum host has too much time on his hands :raz:

True Heroism is remarkably sober, very undramatic.

It is not the urge to surpass all others at whatever cost,

but the urge to serve others at whatever cost. -Arthur Ashe

I am very sorry to do this, but it turns out I cannot make the 12th. Which means that every weekend in December is unavailable for me. If ya'll still want dinner to be on the 12th we can do it then, but I cannot attend or make the financial arrangements. I would prefer to move it to a weeknight so I can attend. However, I realize that many of you cannot make weeknights. If there is a weeknight the week of December 12 that you can make, please post here or PM me.

I spoke with Aung today about working up a menu--I hope to set a menu and get a price for us in the next day or two.