• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Milkshakes: use a blender or mixer?

glenn

I've been getting conflicting advice about what to use for making milkshakes when using hard ice cream. Hamilton Beach told me I'd be best off using a blender, specifically, this one for milkshakes. They said this mixer was primarily for use with soft ice cream. Two ice cream distributors told me the opposite. Hence, I am confused. [i'm only using Hamilton Beach equipment as examples - I know Waring and others make capable equipment.]

It would be nice to be able to use the blender as I also plan on making smoothies. Thanks for any advice.

I think it should be this.. No BLENDER at all, but a shake mixer.

I've got an antique Hamilton Beach from a soda shop that does three at a time...

Would never destroy the molecular structure of ice cream by BLENDING it.... :hmmm:

A milk shake mixer for sure. The right tool for the right job. The blades of a milk shake mixer are specifically designed to the point that they can be changed for hard or soft ice cream. They also blend much faster and do so without raising the temperature of the finished shake as much as a blender. You probably need two or three blenders because proper blending does take time and if you've got orders for two or three shakes it's going to take too long.

I'm not sure whom you were talking with from Hamilton Beach but I'd ask for a second opinion.

Holly Moore

"I eat, therefore I am."

HollyEats.Com

Twitter

It seems no contest. Plus I see mixers at Ben & Jerry's, not blenders. I see I got the links screwed up, that mixer link was supposed to point to their triple mixer. I ended up calling Hamilton Beach - Holly, you were right, the triple mixer comes with blades for both hard and soft ice cream. And they had no idea why I was told the blender would do a better job.

While I'm at it, let me ask if using a super premium ice cream for shakes would be a waste. At this point, I'm leaning towards going with Double Rainbow. They have the highest prices of any of the supers that I checked, but, I get a free ice cream dipping display (which would cost up to $2500.) My personal feeling is that it wouldn't be a waste regardless if you consider I want to be known for having great shakes.

It seems no contest.  Plus I see mixers at Ben & Jerry's, not blenders.  I see I got the links screwed up, that mixer link was supposed to point to their triple mixer.  I ended up calling Hamilton Beach - Holly, you were right, the triple mixer comes with blades for both hard and soft ice cream.  And they had no idea why I was told the blender would do a better job.

While I'm at it, let me ask if using a super premium ice cream for shakes would be a waste.  At this point, I'm leaning towards going with Double Rainbow.  They have the highest prices of any of the supers that I checked, but, I get a free ice cream dipping display (which would cost up to $2500.)  My personal feeling is that it wouldn't be a waste regardless if you consider I want to be known for having great shakes.

Premium quality in a shake is NEVER a waste as it is the basis of the shake -- and I think Double Rainbow is a great choice! It isn't like there are tons of other ingedients that would be covering up the taste or pastiness of a bad ice cream!

I'd go with a quality, but not a top quality ice cream. Doubt you could tell the difference. To make the shake special, use half and half or light cream instead of milk. To make it extraordinary, use heavy cream.

Any ice cream company should give you a free dipping cabinet.

Holly Moore

"I eat, therefore I am."

HollyEats.Com

Twitter

If you can't get a shake mixer (and I have one of the HB triples also) then the next best thing is an immersion blender because you can work it up and down in the container.

The Cuisinart, which is very inexpensive, does a fine job on malts, shakes and smoothies.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

My milk shake maker is the only gift from my Bat Mitzvah that I still use.

Go buy one. There is nothing better than a chocolate milkshake at 2 am in the middle of July. Or December for that matter.

True Heroism is remarkably sober, very undramatic.

It is not the urge to surpass all others at whatever cost,

but the urge to serve others at whatever cost. -Arthur Ashe

I'd go with a quality, but not a top quality ice cream.  Doubt you could tell the difference.  To make the shake special, use half and half or light cream instead of milk.  To make it extraordinary, use heavy cream.

That's not true, at least any more. And that's more or less my deciding factor at this point. I also don't want a dipping cabinet - I want the display, an ice cream dipping display. It's not up to the ice cream company - it's the distributor since ice cream companies usually don't sell direct. If you have another suggestion, I'd love to hear it.

Also, I will be using the ice cream for more than shakes. It's hard to say at this point, but my guess is about 60% of my ice cream sales will be shakes. The rest will be by the cup and waffle sandwiches.

I'd go with a quality, but not a top quality ice cream.  Doubt you could tell the difference.  To make the shake special, use half and half or light cream instead of milk.  To make it extraordinary, use heavy cream.

That's not true, at least any more. And that's more or less my deciding factor at this point. I also don't want a dipping cabinet - I want the display, an ice cream dipping display. It's not up to the ice cream company - it's the distributor since ice cream companies usually don't sell direct. If you have another suggestion, I'd love to hear it.

Also, I will be using the ice cream for more than shakes. It's hard to say at this point, but my guess is about 60% of my ice cream sales will be shakes. The rest will be by the cup and waffle sandwiches.

Don't know your area good enough. Does Bassett's in Philadelphia go up that far. They'd be an excellent choice and do provide cabinets.

Holly Moore

"I eat, therefore I am."

HollyEats.Com

Twitter