• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Post Your New Cocktail Creations Here

Jason Perlow

That may certainly be the next incarnation. I tried a bit of Blood Orange bitters in tonight's incarnation. I think I need to get my pomegranate supply and flavor intact before I start messing any further.

I don't have the Rangpur at my bar yet, but that doesn't mean I won't. I might need to dial back the lime a bit and up the pomegranate in that case. Not sure how the gin flavors will play with all that. :unsure:

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

Erik

Every time you post a picture of a drink in those glasses I always wonder if you received them from your parents. I have the same glasses, grabbed them from my mom before she disposed of them.

I also have another set of gold and black but instead of leaves the motif is coins.

Rich

"The only time I ever said no to a drink was when I misunderstood the question."

Will Sinclair

i recently drank a real serious barrique aged salice salentino from puglia. usually they are young and fresh, rough around the edges and super expressive. this was more integrated (relative anyway) and despite the infamous varietal very classy and bordeaux like... the whole comparison reminded me of he seagrams cask aged gin i had collecting dust. i thought there must be a type of drink where its mellowness would make it superior to an untreated gin and better than a brown spirit...

pick me up cocktail...

1.5 oz. seagrams cask aged gin

1 oz. hand made sorrento nocillo aged in bottle for 17 years (walnut liqueur)

1 oz. fresh espresso

.25 oz. simple syrup

.25 oz. maraschino liqueur

the flavors lead into each other really well and you get the most delicate and sophisticated type of bitter. maraschino provides that subliminal touch... i tried this with and without the simple but in the end the consensus was that it added a little more life to the drink...

abstract expressionist beverage compounder

creator of acquired tastes

bostonapothecary.com

Erik

Every time you post a picture of a drink in those glasses I always wonder if you received them from your parents. I have the same glasses, grabbed them from my mom before she disposed of them.

I also have another set of gold and black but instead of leaves the motif is coins.

Rich

Rich,

Like many of the cooler vintage drink glasses I have, those came from my wife's grandmother. She was a wonderful woman who enjoyed a good stiff drink from time to time. We like to think that, were she still alive, she would be pleased to see that we are taking care of them and that they are still seeing proper use. You know, not being used as juice glasses for kids and run through the dishwasher every day.

---

Erik Ellestad

If the ocean was whiskey and I was a duck...

Bernal Heights, SF, CA

This is the product of an ongoing experimentation with egg yolk:

2 oz. Applejack

1/2 oz. Yellow Chartreuse

2 dash Peychaud's

1 egg yolk

3/4 oz. lemon juice

1/2 oz. simple syrup

Shake, Strain, Serve Up

i would drink that.

abstract expressionist beverage compounder

creator of acquired tastes

bostonapothecary.com

I've been playing around with a drink that would showcase the delicate plum flavors of Pearl Plum vodka. Here's the latest incarnation:

Plum Blossom:

2.0 oz. Pear Plum vodka

.5 oz fresh lemon juice

.5 oz. pineapple juice

.25 oz. St. Germain liqueur

1 tsp. Luxardo Maraschino liqueur

splash cranberry juice

dash Fee Brothers Lemon bitters

Lemon Twist

A very pretty liqht purple concoction that preserves the fresh plum flavor in the vodka. Not too sweet, not too tart. Definitely a keeper.

gallery_7409_476_21945.jpg

Katie M. Loeb

Cheers!

Here's a take on a fresh juice gimlet

2 oz. Tanqueray Rangpur

3/4 oz. lime juice

3/4 oz. simple syrup

3 drops orange flower water

9 drops orange bitters

rinse of Cruzan black strap rum

Shake, Strain, Serve Up

I tested it out today, and the guys thought it had a nose of chocolate. Fortunately, I like chocolate. Unfortunately, I don't have any chocolate bitters, which I would love to substitute for the orange bitters.

Playing with gum syrup recipe from Imbibe. Somehow the Chartreuse and absinthe work well in the background. The gum syrup does add a pronounced silky texture. Named after Bushwick's soul label, Daptone Records.

The Daptone

2 oz rye

.5 gum syrup

1 tsp yellow chartreuse

2 dashes Bitter Truth aromatic bitters

absinthe rinse

lemon twist garnish

shake hard with cracked 1" cubes

gallery_58117_5695_17136.jpg

"Wives and such are constantly filling up any refrigerator they have a

claim on, even its ice compartment, with irrelevant rubbish like

food."" - Kingsley Amis

• 3 weeks later...

Ok, I had three of these last night. My wife also dug it.

2 oz. Laird's Apple Brandy (7 1/2 year)

1/2 oz. Benedictine

1/2 oz. Vya Sweet Vermouth

1/2 oz. Fee's West Indies Falernum

1 Dash of Boyajian Maple Extract.

I ordered the Citrus Oil Sampler from Boyajian and they threw in a bottle of their new maple flavor extract. It is very intense and added that nice maple flavor without adding sweetness or volume to the drink.

I'm looking forward to trying out their citrus oils next.

-Morgan

Edited by Morgan_Weber (log)

Ok, I had three of these last night.  My wife also dug it.

1/2 oz. Benedictine

I ordered the Citrus Oil Sampler from Boyajian and they threw in a bottle of their new maple flavor extract.  It is very intense and added that nice maple flavor without adding sweetness or volume to the drink.

-Morgan

Morgan, do you have a source for the Laird's 7 yr in Houston? I can't even seem to get the Bottled in Bond anymore. What's happening here?

Andy Arrington

Journeyman Drinksmith

Twitter--@LoneStarBarman

1/2 oz. Benedictine

I ordered the Citrus Oil Sampler from Boyajian and they threw in a bottle of their new maple flavor extract.  It is very intense and added that nice maple flavor without adding sweetness or volume to the drink.

-Morgan

Morgan, do you have a source for the Laird's 7 yr in Houston? I can't even seem to get the Bottled in Bond anymore. What's happening here?

I picked up the Laird's Brandy a week or so ago at the Downtown Spec's. Most of the Spec's around here, even the small ones are carrying the Bonded Apple Jack. Spec's went through about a 2 month period where they weren't carrying it though which is dissapointing because I like it so much better than the regular Applejack. A friend of mine who lives in Waco said he picked up a bottle of the Bonded at Dicorte's. Definitely call before you go though, just in case.

1/2 oz. Benedictine

-Morgan

I picked up the Laird's Brandy a week or so ago at the Downtown Spec's. Most of the Spec's around here, even the small ones are carrying the Bonded Apple Jack. Spec's went through about a 2 month period where they weren't carrying it though which is dissapointing because I like it so much better than the regular Applejack. A friend of mine who lives in Waco said he picked up a bottle of the Bonded at Dicorte's. Definitely call before you go though, just in case.

Glad to know they have it again, the last two times I was downtown they were out of it. The one here in College Station doesn't carry the bonded...yet, although to put it in perspective it took them 3 months to stock Angostura bitters! Thanks for the heads-up.

edit: grammar

Edited by thirtyoneknots (log)

Andy Arrington

Journeyman Drinksmith

Twitter--@LoneStarBarman

Hey all, new to (posting on) the forums, not new to reading them.

I came up with one of my favorite gin drinks ever the other night when I was pining for a good old Martini and had zero vermouth. I needed a little sweetness, and a little funk. I did have some whiskey, and a little grand marnier sitting around. What sort of unholy union would they form?

---

The Lower Haitian

2 oz Plymouth Gin

1/2 tsp Knob Creek Bourbon

1/2 tsp Grand Marnier

4 dashes Regan's OB

1 long strip lemon peel, halved

Spritz the oils of one of the lemon peel pieces into a cocktail glass and rub the rim with it as well. Throw the peel into the bottom of the mixing glass, followed by a good handful of ice. Add spirits, stir vigorously, and strain into the cocktail glass.

Top with lemon twist.

---

I'll admit, I didn't have high hopes for this one, either. As it turned out, something about that combo brought the most incredible juniper notes out of the gin, turning the glass into an aromatherapy session. It was also dead delicious.

All the latest on culinary survival in the big city:

www.feedingfashionistas.com

• 1 month later...

Is this an original cocktail? Seems like someone should have thought of it before.

I've not had much luck finding vermouth here in Kauai, so had the idea to use a drier sake instead.

Found Gekkeikenn Haiku in a store.

Figured it might be too delicate to mix solely with gin so went with a modified Vesper model.

Akiko (or "Aki" for short)

1 1/2 Tanqueray

3/4 Gekkeiken Haiku Sake

3/4 oz vodka

Stir with cracked ice and strain into a cocktail glass.

I haven't figured out a garnish, but it's really good. A nice clean dry martini type thing.

Edited by eje (log)

---

Erik Ellestad

Bernal Heights, SF, CA

Erik:

Suffering in Paradise? No vermouth in Kauai? Not exactly the Seventh Circle of Hell, but I guess for a cocktail geek, it's punishment enough. :wink:

The drink is a differently proportioned Vesper, no? Seems like citrus twist would be a good garnish. Maybe lime?

Katie M. Loeb

Cheers!

Speaking of garnishes...

I don't like the citrus idea, as I think it would overpower the gentle flavor of the sake. With citrus, that would be all you tasted/smelled.

I did however decide on a nasturtium flower, which I think works really well. Even quite peppery-tasty with the cocktail, if you decide to consume it.

I also tried a li hing rock salt plum, which really didn't work at all. Well, it was kind of tasty, just really ugly.

So...

Akiko (or "Aki" for short)

1 1/2 Tanqueray

3/4 Gekkeiken Haiku Sake

3/4 oz vodka

Stir with cracked ice and strain into a cocktail glass. Garnish with a Nasturtium flower.

"Aki" is the name of one of the Asian Bond girls in "You Only Live Twice". Played by Akiko Wakabayashi (imdb link).

---

Erik Ellestad

Bernal Heights, SF, CA

This does not compare with some of the very inventive creations posted here. I won't suggest that I was the first to try this, but I made it last night for sipping on the patio after work

2oz mae de ouro cachaca

1oz St Germaine Elderflower

1oz fresh lime juice.

shaken with ice and served in a salt rimmed glass with a lime garnish.

This came together very nicely. Just a margriata variation, but quite tasty and refreshing.

Edited by lancastermike (log)

Good one Mike. Sounds delicious and I just might have to make myself one soon. The St. Germain can be swapped in as the sweetening agent in many cocktail recipes. Per my buddy Nick's suggestion, I substituted half of the Maraschino in an Aviation for St. Germain and came up with the Aviatrix, a slightly more flowery and feminine version of the classic. I'm certain that would work in a myriad applications.

Katie M. Loeb

Cheers!

Good one Mike.  Sounds delicious and I just might have to make myself one soon.  The St. Germain can be swapped in as the sweetening agent in many cocktail recipes.  Per my buddy Nick's suggestion, I substituted half of the Maraschino in an Aviation for St. Germain and came up with the Aviatrix, a slightly more flowery and feminine version of the classic.  I'm certain that would work in a myriad applications.

I'm assuming you're using more than 2 tsp of maraschino in the original recipe then? My main gripe against St. Germain is how easily it gets clobbered when used in small amounts, say, less than 1/2 oz in most drinks. Seems to be its main limitation.

Andy Arrington

Journeyman Drinksmith

Twitter--@LoneStarBarman

Good one Mike.  Sounds delicious and I just might have to make myself one soon.  The St. Germain can be swapped in as the sweetening agent in many cocktail recipes.  Per my buddy Nick's suggestion, I substituted half of the Maraschino in an Aviation for St. Germain and came up with the Aviatrix, a slightly more flowery and feminine version of the classic.  I'm certain that would work in a myriad applications.

I'm assuming you're using more than 2 tsp of maraschino in the original recipe then? My main gripe against St. Germain is how easily it gets clobbered when used in small amounts, say, less than 1/2 oz in most drinks. Seems to be its main limitation.

Yes. 2 gin, 1 fresh lemon, .5 maraschino, .5 St. Germain.

I rarely use any ingredient in such small proportions unless it's something really strong like absinthe, Pernod, etc. Half an ounce is my usual minimum otherwise. I find anything less is not discernable in most cases.

Katie M. Loeb

Cheers!

Yes. 2 gin, 1 fresh lemon, .5 maraschino, .5 St. Germain.

I rarely use any ingredient in such small proportions unless it's something really strong like absinthe, Pernod, etc. Half an ounce is my usual minimum otherwise. I find anything less is not discernable in most cases.

I've had Katie's Avatrix....and it's damn good! :biggrin:

so now I got this big bottle of marschino, what else can I do with it?

[...]

I've had Katie's Avatrix....and it's damn good!  :biggrin:

so now I got this big bottle of marschino, what else can I do with it?

You might find a few suggestions here:

Maraschino Liqueur

;-)

Edited by eje (log)

---

Erik Ellestad

Bernal Heights, SF, CA