• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Eggnog – Recipes, Ingredients, Styles, etc.

Jason Perlow

54 minutes ago, kayb said:

I will warn you. That stuff will light you up.

And the liquor store peeps are amused when the little old lady comes in asking for Everclear.

I am minded of the time I made eggnog with lab ethanol.  The eggs curdled as if they were fried.

• Haha 1

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

7 hours ago, kayb said:

I will warn you. That stuff will light you up.

Ha!  My new egg nog toast will be "Let there be Light!"

This is true.  This is not an egg nog for amateurs.  I like the Everclear flavor cleanliness.  I do not like rum, years of avoiding egg nog due to the rum flavors kinda made me adverse most offered versions.   This stuff ages perfectly, one of my batches is from 2019 and is heavenly.

• Like 1

On 12/6/2021 at 4:41 PM, Wisp said:

Where can I find Nina's eggnog recipe??

Here ya go: @ninagluck's    Eggnog recipe

There are questions and discussion in a few following posts.

• Thanks 1

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

Husband declares it the Holidays at some point with a request for eggnog.    I make it to order in a pyrex cup.   

One organic egg, about 2 tablespoons superfine sugar, about 1/2 cup whipping cream.    Beat together until frothy.    Add a splash of each cognac and dark rum, about a jigger each..   Grate nutmeg on top.    Serve in balloon glass.   

Two per season allowed.   

• Like 2

eGullet member #80.

• 2 weeks later...

@TdeVmy ex and I used to make at least 4x a similar recipe - twice in one night! It was about 80 bottles of the stuff. It was his German great-great grandfather’s recipe which used brandy, rum, and bourbon.   We gave it out to his employees.  

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, TdeV said:

Thanks to @blue_dolphin's recommendation I'm planning to make some eggnog. This recipe calls for ~3 cups volume for eggnog for 2. If I want to double the recipe, can I use an immersion blender, or, should I make the drink in 2 separate batches? (My blender is 5 cups)

I'm not sure which recipe you are using. The one I recommended, Clyde Common’s Tequila-Sherry Egg Nog from Jeffery Morganthaler, calls for 12 eggs, uses a stand mixer and has an estimated yield of ~ 1 gal.  I suspect an immersion blender would work if that's what you prefer. 

Edited to add that now I see you may be following the 1/6 scale recipe he gives for 2 servings.  Sorry I missed that. 

Edited by blue_dolphin (log)
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 11 months later...

I blended up a quart and a half of easy eggnog yesterday.  (I will make the Everclear nog as soon as I get mor eggs, milk and cream).

This recipe uses just whole eggs and sugar, milk and cream, cognac and bourbon and nutmeg and cinnamon.  Easy and quick to make.

It's in the fridge now and will be ready to drink tomorrow.

• Like 1
  • Delicious 1

High proof Everclear that's used in Nina's nog isn't available in California so I've never been able to try that one.  Plus, I kinda like the flavors of the alcoholic ingredients to come through.  That said, if I happen to find a bottle of that high proof stuff, I will give it a try.  

I mixed a half batch (6 eggs, makes a little under 2 quarts) of Jeffrey Morganthaler's Clyde Common's Tequila-Sherry Eggnog, made with Añejo tequila and Amontillado sherry. I made quite a bit of this last year for gifts and it was very well received.  

I noticed that he wrote an article for the Daily Beast, Eggnog Haters: You Need to Make this Delicious Recipe, in which he suggests a Manhattan variation with bourbon and Carpano Antica vermouth so I think I'll mix up a batch of that, too.  Debating between using rye as I prefer in a Manhattan or bourbon as suggested.  Bourbon might go better with the cream.  I will report back 😉

He also has recipes on his website for a basic egg nog with brandy and spiced rum  and a non-alcoholic egg nog.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Reporting back on the Manhattan egg nog.  This is made like Morganthaler's Clyde Common egg nog (see link in above post) subbing bourbon for the tequila and Carpano Antica vermouth for the sherry.  

The Carpano Antica is fairly sweet so this came out a bit sweet for my taste.  If I make it again, I will dial back the sugar to 2/3 of the original recipe so 300g for a full recipe rather than 450g.  

I tried using a few dashes of Angostura bitters as a garnish instead of nutmeg.  It works nicely, helps balance the sweetness and you can try your hand at using a toothpick to make latte art on top of the glass 🙃

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

After tasting the above0mentioned eggnog I found it to be missing something.

I should have guessed what it was simply by looking at the recipe!

It had no vanilla in it.  After that I added a big splash of vanilla and another big splash of bourbon.  Really good now!!!  In fact, it's so good I made up another two quarts yesterday.

I still plan on making the Everclear recipe but I'll bottle that up for next year.

Been saving my empty screw-top wine bottled for that purpose.

Here's the recipe I used: (I did find it a little heavy on the ground nutmeg so I cut that back on subsequent batches.)

5 Minute Homemade Blender Eggnog

Author: Thechunkychef.com

▢ 4 large eggs the freshest you can find
▢ 3/4 cup granulated sugar (or superfine sugar)
▢ 1/2 tsp dried nutmeg
▢ 1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
▢ 3 oz cognac (about 1/3 cup + 1 Tbsp)
▢ 3 oz bourbon (about 1/3 cup + 1 Tbsp)
▢ 1 1/2 cups whole milk
▢ 1 cup heavy cream

(vanilla)
Instructions
Add whole eggs to blender and blend on MED speed (or LOW if you only have a HIGH and LOW setting option) for 30 seconds.
Add sugar and blend another 20 seconds.
Add nutmeg, cinnamon, cognac, bourbon, milk and heavy cream and blend until combined, about 10-15 seconds.
Transfer to an airtight container and refrigerate for a day or so to allow flavors to combine and mellow.
TO SERVE:
Eggnog may have settled in the refrigerator, so either give it a good shake or two, or pour into a mixing bowl and give it a whisk to get everything combined.
Serve with some additional grated nutmeg on top, and an optional cinnamon stick.

Edited by lindag (log)
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 3

• 11 months later...

Oh gosh, I didn't realize earlier that it's that time again.  Today I'm mixing up some much anticipated batch of the above recipe for eggnog.

It is SO good!  And SO easy to make.  I'll never drink that supermarket stuff again.

• Like 4