• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Eggnog – Recipes, Ingredients, Styles, etc.

Jason Perlow

A user just posted this single serving egg nog. It's really a flip, but, well, close enough. It calls for Snap, but I bet you could use another ginger liqueur and perhaps some Pimento Dram or something. (I'm not buying Snap until I find a use for the 720ml of Root that I have. ;) )

Kindred Cocktails | Craft + Collect + Concoct + Categorize + Community

A user just posted this single serving egg nog. It's really a flip, but, well, close enough. It calls for Snap, but I bet you could use another ginger liqueur and perhaps some Pimento Dram or something. (I'm not buying Snap until I find a use for the 720ml of Root that I have. ;) )

The Root isn't bad in a Hot Buttered Sailor, a drink a made for the winter menu at Oyster House a couple of years ago.

1.75 oz. Sailor Jerry Rum

.75 oz. Root

.50 oz. Grand Marnier

.5 oz. (heaping spoonful) Brown Sugar 5 Spice Butter*

Add all to a mug. Top with simmering water. Stir.

*Brown Sugar 5 Spice butter

Whip two softened sticks of butter with 3/4 cup light brown sugar and 1 teaspoon Chinese 5 spice. Transfer to an airtight container and refrigerate to re-solidify. Use by the heaping teaspoon.

Perfect thing for a night like tonight...

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

www.jeffreymorgenthaler.com/2009/egg-nog/

Makes a little bit less than a 750ml. It's even better after a day or more in the fridge. And it's easy - no eggs to separate, nothing to whisk - just blend the ingredients in order, and pour into an empty bottle. Done.

I'd seen the recipe back when it was first posted, but never made it. I recently had it at a friend's house and was blown away. It's really delicious.

Should you need to scale it up in future years, there's a much bigger batch on the small screen network.

Thanks! That is the one I wound up making. It's sitting in the fridge right now. I want to to age at least a day.

This came out pretty well. Has all the right flavor without the heaviness and richness of a more common eggnog. Of course, the problem with that is I like the richness and some heaviness in an egg nog. Not as thick as you get in a common commercial brand, but I think I really prefer a home made cooked custard style better.

Jeff Meeker, aka "jsmeeker"

• 2 weeks later...
food 013.JPG This is a cooked eggnog, heat 3c cream , 3c milk and 1/2c sugar, temper in 4 egg yolks stirring. Add 4 stiffly beaten and sugared egg whites in mounds and gently stir while pouring by ladle the liquid over the meringue to cook whites. Add more sugar if needed and vanilla. We add whiskey to the mug as desired and or nutmeg.

Has anyone though about just melting a gallon of supermarket ice cream, adding some eggs and burbon, and mixing it in the blender? You could foam it before serving in a french press. Already has the guar gum and vanilla extract in there and the milk and cream in similar proportions.

In the 70s there was a big fad for making Tom & Jerrys from a homemade mix that was kept in the freezer, based on ice cream, eggs, brown sugar and spices.

Broguiere's Dairy in Montebello, CA makes their eggnog with eggnog ice cream and actually demonstrated this process on the PBS Huell Howser show a few years ago. There is nothing else like it in commercial eggnog.

I know people who live north of me, near Bishop, who will drive all the way down to Montebello in mid-December to buy a couple of cases of the stuff (still in glass bottles) because it is so good.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

• 10 months later...

There are about as many eggnog threads on eGullet as there are styles of eggnog, but here is what I tried tonight for a sherry version:

1/2 oz Pusser's navy rum

1/2 oz Laird's 7 1/2 year apple brandy

1 oz Tio Pepe

1 whole egg (small)

1 oz heavy cream

2 dashes ground cinnamon

2 dashes Angostura

Shaken, double strained, with garnish of grated nutmeg. Served in a solid nineteenth century goblet.

My inspiration was this recipe from Andrew Willett for nineteenth century Baltimore Eggnog:

http://elementalmixology.files.wordpress.com/2011/11/baltimore-eggnog-recipe1.jpg

Except I couldn't very well call my version "Baltimore Eggnog", as lacking verdelho, I had to make do with sherry. I do have some nineteenth century malmsey on hand for emergencies but I feared malmsey would make the recipe a bit too rich.

Even so this eggnog is very nice, and something I would make again. Hopefully next time with verdelho.

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

• 3 years later...

Last week, the LA Times printed a recipe for a 'faux eggnog' cocktail from Gregory Westcott at Hinoki & the Bird restaurant.   The 'faux' header is unfortunate as it's just its own thing but after trying it l, I'm posting it here as I think it would make a good vegan-friendly alternative if everyone else is drinking eggnog. 

It calls for dark rum, coconut cream, a vanilla-orange-rosemary simple syrup and Angostura and chile-chocolate bitters and I was curious enough to give it a try as I have some guests coming who like this sort of stuff.

Bah! Humbug! from a recipe printed in the LA Times

2 ounces dark rum (I subbed Appleton Reserve for specified Zaya)

3/4 ounce coconut cream

3/4 ounce vanilla bean and orange simple syrup *

2 dashes Angostura bitters

2 dashes chile chocolate bitters (I used Bittermens xocolatl mole bitters)

Garnish: Grated nutmeg, flaming rosemary sprig

IMG_4289.jpg

* Vanilla bean & orange simple:  muddle zest of one orange + 1 vanilla bean + 2 sprigs rosemary with 1/2 cup sugar, add 1/2 cup hot water and continue to muddle/stir until the sugar dissolves

Edited by blue_dolphin (log)
  • Like 2

• 3 years later...
  • 3 months later...
20 minutes ago, Margaret Pilgrim said:

I don't drink eggnog but husband does.

I have to have eggnog and fruitcake every year during the holiday season. I'm not happy if I don't, doesn't feel right. But that's enough... doesn't matter that they're generally viewed as seasonal items because I don't even want either again until the next year. 

• Like 1

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

I did a batch of @ninagluck's version again in August to let it age.  Last year I did 3 batches, the original version, one with maple syrup, and one with cocoa nibs/pinon coffee beans.   Took a year to get to most of it.

The latest batch is pinon nuts flavored.  I found a small bag of pinons stashed in the freezer, toasted and shelled them and used them in the nog.  I am very interested in the flavor on this batch when we crack it open in a few weeks.

• Like 1
  • Delicious 1

Wow interesting on the nuts. Do they impart a pine element or? I have only managed to harvest less than a tablespoon over years - squirrels beat me to them. Nasty beasts throw the empty ones at me when I walk under the trees.

I may have said earlier that I only did a full on version once - where you whip the egg whites, 40 years later I still get comments. We did not drive home - slept oh so comfortably in the back of the Karmann Ghia... being passed out helped

• Haha 1

I still chuckle when I think of making Nina Gluck's eggnog -- walking in the liquor store and dumbfounding the clerk when the 60-ish lady wanted Everclear.

• Haha 1

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

1 hour ago, kayb said:

I still chuckle when I think of making Nina Gluck's eggnog -- walking in the liquor store and dumbfounding the clerk when the 60-ish lady wanted Everclear.

We were supposed to get a huge amount of eggs from our farmers who also own a large business selling eggs.  The new chickens that lay their first eggs lay really small ones which the grocery stores won't take so they (used to) give us all we wanted.  I had planned on making Nina's eggnog, but the eggs didn't come through.  I guess they had tons of people wanting them so they sold them and didn't notify us.  :(  Kinda bummed.  Might need to make a different version that doesn't have to sit so long.....

17 hours ago, Tri2Cook said:

I have to have eggnog and fruitcake every year during the holiday season. I'm not happy if I don't, doesn't feel right. But that's enough... doesn't matter that they're generally viewed as seasonal items because I don't even want either again until the next year. 

Yes, we also need to have one dose of fruitcake during the season.   

eGullet member #80.

1 hour ago, kayb said:

In France no one would have blinked an eye.    You can buy it in any supermarket.    Here, maybe just ask for it with a French accent?

eGullet member #80.

• 1 year later...

eggnog.thumb.jpg.32a481746222cf27e6763fe6dea6412e.jpg

My first eggnog of the season! We usually have it without anything added. Just to make it special, I added whipped cream, and accidentally dropped the whole nutmeg into one of the glasses while trying to make it pretty! XD

Here's my recipe. It is not cooked, and can be whipped up in just a few minutes. To tone down the sweetness, reduce fructose, and make it easier on the blood sugar, I substituted dextrose for part of the sugar, and added some Benefiber. Of course you could just use all regular sugar (by weight since dextrose is fluffy) and leave out the fiber if you prefer. 

Same-Day Eggnog

Ingredients

36 g (0.18 cup) sugar

12 g (4 tsp) instant clearjel

0.125 tsp table salt

1 pinch accent

95 g (0.83 cup) dextrose

36 g (0.43 cup) Benefiber

338 g (1.39 cup) whole milk

58 g (0.18 cup) Karo

68 g (4  large) egg yolk

5 ml (1 tsp) Vanilla extract

2.5 ml (½ tsp) vanilla bean paste

.62 ml (1/8 tsp) almond

.62 ml (1/8 tsp) butter rum extract

.6 g (.25 tsp) Freshly grated nutmeg

350 g (1.46 cup) heavy cream

Directions

1. Combine sugar, instant clearjel, salt, and accent in the pitcher of a blender and blend until finely powdered. Add dextrose and Benefiber, pulsing a few times to mix in.

2. Add milk, Karo, egg yolks, vanilla extract, vanilla paste, almond, butter rum and nutmeg, and blend until smooth.

3. Add cream and pulse the blender until just combined, unless you want to froth it up and increase volume. Pour into glass milk bottles and chill, or straight into serving glasses. If it has been sitting in the fridge, shake before serving.

• Like 1