• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Next big Italian region(s)

Ciao Kevin

I'd say it the next big region will be Campania. As you can see from my other posts, I'm crazy about Naples and use it as a starting point to travel the region. The Sorrento peninsula is pretty discovered, but the Caserta area, Irpinia, the Cilento, Ischia are all places that I think are worth exploring, with terrific restaurants. The regional wines and foods are simply spectacular. And there's plenty to do between meals.

I think that most people go to Venice and then move on to another region, without exploring the region of Veneto or nearby Friuli. It's a shame, since both regions have a lot to offer, and prices far lower than Venice.

a presto

Faith

Faith:

It's been a pleasure reading this thread.

What do you think the next big region to be "discovered" in Italy will be, and what region should, in your mind, be visited more, if there is a difference?

exploring the region of Veneto or nearby Friuli.  It's a shame, since both regions have a lot to offer, and prices far lower than Venice.

A great suggestion!

A particularly interesting region is "il carso" (or "Kras" in Slowenian or "Karst" in German), the Italian/Slowenian hinterland of Trieste, the former sea harbour of the Austro/Hungarian empire. You'll find a fascinating (culinary) patchwork of all three cultures.

Watch out for the "osmizze", something similar to the "Heurigen" in Austria, rural inns run by local wine growers and farmers. They are offering home grown products and dishes and are opened in summertime only.

Apart from my Austrian friends I never met foreigners (to Italy) who explored this region.

Edited by Boris_A (log)

Make it as simple as possible, but not simpler.

Ciao Boris

I'm glad you like my choice. If you've got any places to suggest in the Carso, besides Devetak, which I adore, I'm open to suggestions. Off-the-beaten-track is my middle name.

a presto

Faith

exploring the region of Veneto or nearby Friuli.  It's a shame, since both regions have a lot to offer, and prices far lower than Venice.

A great suggestion!

A particularly interesting region is "il carso" (or "Kras" in Slowenian or "Karst" in German), the Italian/Slowenian hinterland of Trieste, the former sea harbour of the Austro/Hungarian empire. You'll find a fascinating (culinary) patchwork of all three cultures.

Watch out for the "osmizze", something similar to the "Heurigen" in Austria, rural inns run by local wine growers and farmers. They are offering home grown products and dishes and are opened in summertime only.

Apart from my Austrian friends I never met foreigners (to Italy) who explored this region.

Ciao Boris

I'm glad you like my choice.  If you've got any places to suggest in the Carso, besides Devetak, which I adore, I'm open to suggestions.  Off-the-beaten-track is my middle name.

a presto

Faith

Salve, Faith!

It's some years ago when my Austrian friends showed me two or three places here on the map in the lila coloured comune. I really cant' remember a specific name, but the seasonally opening times of the osmizze differ greatly anyway. The legal framework was established at times of Maria Theresia as such that vintners were allowed to open temporarily a "Heurigen" or "Buschenschank" or "osmizza" for some weeks during a year, provided they offered their own wine and products. It's completely different from a professionally run establishment, but the charm and the excitement of visiting such places is unique.

These signs indicating the temporary opening are the same like with traditional places in Austria. One says that the heart of a Viennese makes an extra beat if he notices one of these pine branches.

Off -the-beaten-tracks! Must be "Seelenverwandtschaft", Faith.

Ci vediamo!

edited for a better description of the magic of osmizze

Edited by Boris_A (log)

Make it as simple as possible, but not simpler.