• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

pastry "pastilles"

akwa

You can get high pressure with a cheap bench vice, but you'd still need some kind of pill-form mold or something. What exactly are you trying to make? Just curious. . . If you're trying to package supplements or pharmaceuticals, you could just use gel-caps.

Edited by Patrick S (log)

"If you hear a voice within you say 'you cannot paint,' then by all means paint, and that voice will be silenced" - Vincent Van Gogh

What kind of powder are you trying to bind? And do you mean unbound as in without a binding agent? If you can exert enough pressure onto the powder you won't need any binding agent. Just think of how brown sugar holds it shape under moderate pressure. Most pressed candy, Pez etc... is held together simply by the pressure in the molding process.

I would go for a drill press over a vice. If you get a short section of metal pipe to be used as the mould with a solid metal rod in place of the drill bit to act as a plunger you should be in business.

Hmm, now this really has me wondering what type of pastilles you are planning on making...

You can get high pressure with a cheap bench vice, but you'd still need some kind of pill-form mold or something. What exactly are you trying to make? Just curious. . . If you're trying to package supplements or pharmaceuticals, you could just use gel-caps.

where can i get gel caps?

all great advice

thanks

just working on a base technique, not particularly concerned with the particular elaboration,

but for a new interactive dessert Sydney May 2000

I wanted to make tubes of pills to garnish, perhaps to go,

probably with some citrus sugar, litchi and rosewater

a la vodka red bull

solid cocktails

where can i get gel caps?

all great advice

thanks

just working on a base technique, not particularly concerned with the particular elaboration,

but for a new interactive dessert Sydney May 2000

I wanted to make tubes of pills to garnish, perhaps to go,

probably with some citrus sugar, litchi and rosewater

a la vodka red bull

solid cocktails

You can find empty gel-caps at vitamin stores, head-shops, or at lots of online stores. For example:

Empty Gel Caps

Empty GelCaps

Empty Gel Caps

Good luck!

"If you hear a voice within you say 'you cannot paint,' then by all means paint, and that voice will be silenced" - Vincent Van Gogh