• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

teapots,etc.

jpr54_

For actually making tea (rather than just having display items) the teapot does not seem to have that much of an impact, although the minimum workable size seems to be a two (large) cup version. The main factors seem to be the water, the tea blend and type and your technique. The only thing I ask of a teapot is that it doesn't drip or dribble when you pour.

• 2 weeks later...

MONO Teapots.

I have both the 2.5 cup and the larger 5 cup.

For black tea they are simply the best pots for making tea.

The size of the infuser ensures the leaves expand to their maximum potential then just lift up the basket and presto, perfect tea from a pot that doesn't drip.

Design by award winning designer Tassilo von Grolhman. This teapot shows as part of the permanent collection of many museums and galleries in Europe and NA.

If I was more pooty(my wifes petname for a compooooter)) savvvvvy I would have included some kind of link to some kind of site that shows the pot in question. But, me poooty illiterate so hopefully someone else will help a brother out and do it.

slowfood/slowwine

Large Bredemeijer teapot sort of like this

Without this double-walled teapot, I wouldn't want to get up in the morning. Husband and I drink black tea in the morning, several cups each, and this keeps the tea hot enough to enjoy every cup :raz::laugh::biggrin:

I talked my sister into sending me one from the Netherlands. :cool:

During the working day, we both drink coffee, and in the evenings, it's usually green tea in a straight-sided pottery teapot with a nylon mesh insert.

MONO Teapots.

If I was more pooty(my wifes petname for a compooooter)) savvvvvy I would have included some kind of link to some kind of site that shows the pot in question. But, me poooty illiterate so hopefully someone else will help a brother out and do it.

clickety click

Why thank you :)

slowfood/slowwine

I've been searching the 'net since the thread started to find a new modern art teapot I saw at the San Francisco Museum of Modern art. Alas, I can't find a picture of it

Like the Mono and Bredemeijer pots, it has the infuser inside, but was made this one so remarkable was that the infuser was strategically placed in the upper 1/4 of the pot -- as soon as a single cup was poured, it would no longer infuse more tea into the water.

I thought it especially brilliant as these ones with the large or long infusers tend to over brew the tea unless you decant the tea into another pot. I'll call the museum shop a bit later (after they've opened) and see if I can get the name of the designer and picture for you.

I'm a bit of a teapot nut, having over a dozen on display in my house and having made one myself in sterling (it was HARD to make!!!!)

I have a huge collection of teapots I have been collecting for 50 years.

My most recent acquisition was this German Tilting teapot that I saw in the catalog from this site.

It is a neat design. I tried it once and it worked just as it should.

Of course for my everyday tea I use one of my TeaMates, the great appliance that was sold in the U.S. for a couple of years then, because of slow sales, was discontinued in this country. Fortunately I had bought an extra for "just in case" and very glad I did.

It was distributed by ChefsChoice, the people who have the great electric knife sharpeners/Edgecraft.

They still do repairs if something goes wrong with the TeaMate. A good company.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

My most recent acquisition was this German Tilting teapot that I saw in the catalog from this site.

It is a neat design.  I tried it once and it worked just as it should.

That's it! That's the one I saw -- I loved it but couldn't justify spending the money on it... Why use it only once? It looks like great fun!

This Teapot from Williams Sonoma is my daily-user. I like the wool-lined cozy that keeps the tea hot for some time.

I also have a beloved set like this one which is an antique. It is amazing because when you put the put inside the insulated basket, it keeps the tea hot for HOURS. I found mine in an antique store and Shawn will use it when he is working in the studio, locking himself for hours at a time but always having hot tea to keep him warm.

I  have a huge collection of teapots I have been collecting for 50 years.

Of course for my everyday tea I use one of my TeaMates, the great appliance that was sold in the U.S. for a couple of years then, because of slow sales, was discontinued in this country.  Fortunately I had bought an extra for "just in case" and very glad I did. 

It was distributed by ChefsChoice, the people who have the great electric knife sharpeners/Edgecraft. 

They still do repairs if something goes wrong with the TeaMate.  A good company.

There are several reliable websites which offer this teapot at a lower price

one of these is www.zackusa.com

I have an antique Chinese straw-padded tea basket too (was my grandfather's, I think), and use it during the day sometimes, to keep myself chained to the computer instead of excusing myself from work to make another cup of tea.

The Chinese grocery I used to work at always had one for staff - a pleasure to use, and works so well :wub:

That's it! That's the one I saw -- I loved it but couldn't justify spending the money on it... Why use it only once? It looks like great fun!

Because I love my TeaMate. And, probably because of my age, I forget about the others until I am well into my routine of measuring tea into the basket of the TeaMate.

I usually do this on automatic pilot.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

I  have a huge collection of teapots I have been collecting for 50 years.

Of course for my everyday tea I use one of my TeaMates, the great appliance that was sold in the U.S. for a couple of years then, because of slow sales, was discontinued in this country.  Fortunately I had bought an extra for "just in case" and very glad I did. 

They still do repairs if something goes wrong with the TeaMate.  A good company.

There are several reliable websites which offer this teapot at a lower price

one of these is www.zackusa.com

good to know that it is available elsewhere. I had a credit to use up with H-S, otherwise I would have looked for another source. There was quite a bit of talk about this teapot on the TeaMail list about a year ago.

Large Bredemeijer teapot sort of like this

Without this double-walled teapot, I wouldn't want to get up in the morning. Husband and I drink black tea in the morning, several cups each, and this keeps the tea hot enough to enjoy every cup  :raz:  :laugh:  :biggrin:

I talked my sister into sending me one from the Netherlands.  :cool:

That's a really nice looking pot, & seems to be intelligently designed.

As I mentioned in another thread, I have a collection of antique Hall & McCormick teapots. They're extra-heavy earthenware & hold the heat really well. That (heat-holding capability) is the most important feature you want to look for in a teapot, IMHO.

I'd be leery of keeping a teapot warm over a candle or any source of heat, you'd wind up with peculiar-tasting stewed tea after a while.

Thank God for tea! What would the world do without tea? How did it exist? I am glad I was not born before tea!

- Sydney Smith, English clergyman & essayist, 1771-1845