• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Esquire Magazine's Top 21 restaurants in the US

KUDOS to Chef Ethan Stowell and his staff for winning an award for "Top 21 restaurants of 2004" . Union was the only restaurant that won an award from the Pacific Northwest-

His food is exceptional, truly exceptional! Very restrained style of cooking, allowing diners to experience each unique flavor, and all coming together harmoniously on one plate.

Food is seamless-

It's a fantastic, and well-deserved, honor for Union and Ethan. As lmf said, many of us here are big fans as witnessed by these two threads (among others):

Union thread #1

Union thread #2

Welcome to eG ms v-r, hope you'll keep posting about places you like...

Most women don't seem to know how much flour to use so it gets so thick you have to chop it off the plate with a knife and it tastes like wallpaper paste....Just why cream sauce is bitched up so often is an all-time mytery to me, because it's so easy to make and can be used as the basis for such a variety of really delicious food.

- Victor Bergeron, Trader Vic's Book of Food & Drink, 1946

KUDOS to Chef Ethan Stowell and his staff for winning an award for "Top 21 restaurants of 2004" . Union was the only restaurant that won an award from the Pacific Northwest-

His food is exceptional, truly exceptional! Very restrained style of cooking, allowing diners to experience each unique flavor, and all coming together harmoniously on one plate.

Food is seamless-

who,s list is this??and who were the other 20 if you could provide a link or list that would be appreciated

Thanks, Dave s

"Food is our common ground,a universal experience"

James Beard

KUDOS to Chef Ethan Stowell and his staff for winning an award for "Top 21 restaurants of 2004" .  Union was the only restaurant that won an award from the Pacific Northwest-

His food is exceptional, truly exceptional!  Very restrained style of cooking, allowing diners to experience each unique flavor, and all coming together harmoniously on one plate.

Food is seamless-

who,s list is this??and who were the other 20 if you could provide a link or list that would be appreciated

Thanks, Dave s

It's from a recent article in Esquire by John Mariani. It's available on the Esquire site for a fee. I'm guessing there's already a thread about this over in Food Media & News, but I haven't checked.

Edited by tighe (log)

Most women don't seem to know how much flour to use so it gets so thick you have to chop it off the plate with a knife and it tastes like wallpaper paste....Just why cream sauce is bitched up so often is an all-time mytery to me, because it's so easy to make and can be used as the basis for such a variety of really delicious food.

- Victor Bergeron, Trader Vic's Book of Food & Drink, 1946

It's a fantastic, and well-deserved, honor for Union and Ethan.  As lmf said, many of us here are big fans as witnessed by these two threads (among others):

Union thread #1

Union thread #2

Welcome to eG ms v-r, hope you'll keep posting about places you like...

Thank you all for your warm welcome!

I also just came back from having dinner tonight at Nell's (Green Lake area) for their 25 for $25 promotion...I always try to make it to Nell's at least once/month. But WOW... their food is always truly exceptional. Very nice balance of flavors, and great wine list - plenty of eccentric goodies.

Anyway, thanks again for the warm welcome!

Born and raised a "foodie" & "wine-y"

KUDOS to Chef Ethan Stowell and his staff for winning an award for "Top 21 restaurants of 2004" .

Ya know, it really sucks having this restaurant sitting in my backyard. :laugh::laugh:

I heard from LMF that Jason is no longer working behind the bar. :sad:

Welcome ms vosne-romanee!

Drink!

I refuse to spend my life worrying about what I eat. There is no pleasure worth forgoing just for an extra three years in the geriatric ward. --John Mortimera

I've eaten at Union three times in the last couple of months, all of them were fine and I think it's a great value, but I have a hard time thinking that it even comes close to a "Best Restaurant" in the city, let alone country, and certainly not in the world.

I love that Ethan is pushing food and dining, and I like the presence of more tasting menus, but each of the last visits not a single course, made me pause and say,"this is really amazing, how did he do that". I had some really well cooked duck that I enjoyed, but the sauce was overly sweet for my liking.

I'm a fan of Union, but I think it still has growing to do, as I would guess the Chef would agree. I'll keep supporting it, especially because of the value, the price point makes it easy to enjoy, so on that side I think they are doing a great job!

As for best place in the city, I consistently think that goes to Harvest Vine.

Food is seamless-

Thanks, Dave s

Atlanta - Rathbun's, Restaurant Eugene

Boston - Restaurant L

Charleston, SC - Sienna

Denver - Table 6

El Dorado Hills, CA. - Masque Ristorante

Greenwich, CT. - Gaia

Houston - 17

Keswick, VA. - Fossett's

Los Angeles - Patina

New Orleans - Cafe Adelaide & the Swizzle Stick Bar

New York - BLT Steak, Mas, Masa, Megu