• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Daily Pasta?

Hello Faith. Welcome to E-Gullet.

During the war I was stationed for a while with a company of Italian POWs who were working at an ordnance depot.They had their own cooks.They rolled fresh spaghetti every day and served it in large quantities at both lunch and dinner, every single day. I dont remember ever seeing any left on anyone's plate(including mine).

I would like to know if it is customary today for everyone in Italy to eat hefty portions of pasta at both lunch and dinner , every day, day in, day out.

If so, why isnt the country swimming in a sea of obesity?

Most Italians, at least the ones I encounter, don't eat pasta twice a day. In the south portions of pasta are larger and you do see people eating big platefuls. Pasta isn't that high in calories--it's the condiment that can make it a simple or rich dish. Pasta is satisfying, filling and if you eat a plate of pasta you continue with a smaller portion of meat or possibly some vegetables and cheese or fruit. Dessert is for special occasions, not an everyday conclusion to the meal. Italians really don't eat between-meal snacks. These are some of the reasons why Italians aren't obese. I'm always shocked when I visit the US to see the size and quantity of sanck foods in the supermarket.

a presto

Faith

Hello Faith. Welcome to E-Gullet.

During the war I was stationed for a while with a company of Italian POWs who were working at an ordnance depot.They had their own cooks.They rolled fresh spaghetti every day and served it in large quantities at both lunch and dinner, every single day. I dont remember ever seeing any left on anyone's plate(including mine).

I would like to know if it is customary today for everyone in Italy to  eat hefty portions of pasta at both lunch and dinner , every day, day in, day out.

If so, why isnt the country swimming in a sea of obesity?