• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Seven-Hour Layover in LA

edemuth

I have a seven-hour layover between planes at LAX this Thursday, from approximately 1:30 to 8:30 p.m. If it was only two hours, I wouldn't even bother leaving the airport, but I would think seven hours is doable for some kind of restaurant excursion. Am I nuts?

I realize that most restaurants will likely not be serving during the time period I will have to eat, and there is also the strong possibility of getting caught in rush-hour traffic on the way back to the airport. My recent experience with the area is limited to the airport itself, so I thought it would be a good idea to ask the local eGulleteers for some advice. It would be nice to experience something unique to LA (if there is such a thing), but I'm open to anything really.

Many thanks in advance!

Erin

I have a seven-hour layover between planes at LAX this Thursday, from approximately 1:30 to 8:30 p.m.  If it was only two hours, I wouldn't even bother leaving the airport, but I would think seven hours is doable for some kind of restaurant excursion.  Am I nuts?

I realize that most restaurants will likely not be serving during the time period I will have to eat, and there is also the strong possibility of getting caught in rush-hour traffic on the way back to the airport.  My recent experience with the area is limited to the airport itself, so I thought it would be a good idea to ask the local eGulleteers for some advice.  It would be nice to experience something unique to LA (if there is such a thing), but I'm open to anything really.

Many thanks in advance!

LAX is well within shooting distance of both Santa Monica and Venice.

Border Grill in Santa Monica would be a good bet, since they're open at 11:30 every day, and serve through the dinner hour. I ate at their place in Las Vegas and thought it excellent.

There are fancier places, but since you're going at an off hour, I think you'd be happy there.

It is also plenty of time to head to the beach cities in the South Bay, and avoid the big crowds in Santa Monica -- Manhattan Beach and Hermosa Beach (where I live) are both close to LAX and have a variety of restaurants.

What kind of food are you looking for? (Hermosa is for some reason quite sushi-heavy and has an unusual number of Cajun restaurants for a city of its size!) What time did you want to be back at LAX? What time did you want to eat? If you are flying from DC then you probably won't mind eating early. How much do you want to spend? We can probably give you more concrete suggestions if you narrow your interests down a little more.

The beach cities are also quite nice to walk around, and more laid back than its neighbors to the north.

i would definitely venture out of the airport if you have 7 hours. but if for some reason you end up having considerably less time, you may want to consider encounter restaurant in the old control tower at LAX. i've never been there, so i can't vouch for the quality of the food. but i'm guessing it's better than anything you'll find at any of the terminals. and the view should be great, especially as the sun sets. here is the website:

encounter restaurant

even if you end up leaving the airport, you can always go there for a drink.

enjoy your "stay" in LA

What kind of food are you looking for?  (Hermosa is for some reason quite sushi-heavy and has an unusual number of Cajun restaurants for a city of its size!)  What time did you want to be back at LAX?  What time did you want to eat?  If you are flying from DC then you probably won't mind eating early.  How much do you want to spend?  We can probably give you more concrete suggestions if you narrow your interests down a little more.

Thanks, Tana and Muffin!

Sushi sounds great, but I'll take a few other suggestions too. It really doesn't matter what time I eat, as long as I can be back at LAX by 6:30 at the latest with traffic. It would also be helpful to have a small grocery-type place nearby so I can pick up some healthy snacks for the plane, and I'd love to be able to take a nice stroll before or after dining. I need a casual dress code and am expecting to spend about $25-50.

Hope this helps!

Erin

You might want to head for Sawtelle Avenue, the first few blocks north of Olympic. A wide range of Japanese food -- everything from sushi to curry, as well as Japanese groceries. Not the most scenic for strolling but nice. It's only about 8 miles north of LAX but, given rush hour, if you need to be back by 6:30, I'd plan on a full 60 minutes for the return trip.

Nicer for strolling and a little closer is Venice. Lot's of food options there as well.

So long and thanks for all the fish.

If you want to eat dinner and still make it back to LAX by 6:30 PM, you might want to stick closer to the LAX area for dinner (rush hour traffic gets really bad around West LA/Santa Monica/etc. -- including near Sawtelle Blvd, where I used to live!).

Close to the airport, in the city of El Segundo, there are some decent chain restaurants that, while not shining examples of LA cuisine, are still better than anything you'd get at the airport:

McCormick and Schmick, the seafood chain, is open 11 AM - 11 PM, with happy hour specials from 3:30 - 6:30 PM (perfect for your timing). It's at 2101 Rosecrans Avenue (a major street); (310) 416-1123.

Nearby is Taiko, a Japanese restaurant with at least one other branch in LA; they serve Japanese noodles, sushi, tempura, etc. and are open starting at 5 PM for dinner. Taiko is at 2041 Rosecrans Avenue; (310) 647-3100.

Also in that part of El Segundo are other chains such as Fleming's (steak...on the expensive side) and its sister restaurant, PF Chang's ("Chinese"-American food).

Since you have so much free time tomorrow afternoon, though, you still might consider coming down to Manhattan Beach/Hermosa Beach and strolling around by the piers -- it should be a beautiful sunny day, with the temperature in the 70s! Both beach cities have downtown areas with lots of shops and restaurants. If you want to check out Hermosa you can take a cab to Pier Avenue and then walk around the small downtown area easily; you can rent bikes and go up and down The Strand by the ocean and do some people-watching before dinner time!

A few more South Bay restaurants: (I don't know what time they open for dinner, though)

Back Home in Lahaina (310) 374-0111 -- 916 N. Sepulveda in Manhattan Beach -- popular and casual Hawaiian restaurant

Versailles (310) 937-6829 -- 1000 N. Sepulveda in Manhattan Beach -- one of a chain of Cuban restaurants -- also popular and casual -- hope you like garlic!

Ragin' Cajun (310) 376-7878 -- 422 Pier Avenue in Hermosa Beach -- casual and fun Cajun food; also on Pier or Hermosa Avenue and just a short walk away are sushi places (Sushi Sei is good but doesn't open until 5:30), casual Italian (Fritto Misto and Buona Vita are popular), a crepe place, Thai, Mediterranean, steak, etc... Further south on 2nd Street is The Spot, which is a famous but small vegetarian restaurant.

Hope this helps! Let us know what you end up doing.

I second Muffin's suggestions that you stick to the south beach cities. I used to live in Redondo and getting to the airport could take as little as 20 minutes, even in rush hour. But go a little bit north (Sawtelle or Santa Monica) and the traffic patterns seem infinitely worse.

Downtown Manhattan Beach is a delight to walk around with shops and fine eateries as is Hermosa Beach (gads, I miss Creme de la Crepe!) The beach route to the airport is fast and much easier and you could have a lovely afternoon wandering around outside!

If you are around Venice, I highly recommend driving by Abbot Kinney (sp?) blvd and looking around all the little shops. No chain stores there, and it's good, funky L.A., albeit good funky L.A. for rich people.

Plus Massimo's gelato and Jin's Patisserie is there. Expensive. Right next to the beach.

--someone on CH told me about Jin's Patisserie and I went there recently. I tried some of everything and I didn't really care for the macarons even though they are filled right when you order. Of the chocolates I tried (about 8 pieces), I really liked the lavender chocolate, and the passionfruit chocolate piece. I had the "Jin" cake too. It was stunning and actually pretty good eats as well.

Edited by jschyun (log)

I love cold Dinty Moore beef stew. It is like dog food! And I am like a dog.

--NeroW

Downtown Manhattan Beach is a delight to walk around with shops and fine eateries as is Hermosa Beach (gads, I miss Creme de la Crepe!) 

Damn that crepe restaurant...it's right near my place (it's on Pier Avenue) so I have to walk by it all the time...the only thing better than a hot crepe is a crepe with whipped cream...and ice cream...and Nutella...and fresh berries...!!!

Pink's Hot Dogs

But that's just me.  :smile:

WAY too far away from the airport...

Nah, seven hour layover = 2 1/2 hours in traffic there. 1/2 hour in line and eating a chili dog or two. 2 1/2 hours in traffic back. 1 1/2 hour for airport security. It's a cinch.

Holly Moore

"I eat, therefore I am."

HollyEats.Com

Twitter

If you are around Venice, I highly recommend driving by Abbot Kinney (sp?) blvd and looking around all the little shops.  No chain stores there, and it's good, funky L.A.,  albeit good funky L.A. for rich people. 

Plus Massimo's gelato and Jin's Patisserie is there.  Expensive.  Right next to the beach.

I really like Massimo's - I try to go there whenever I'm in the area. They have a cute patio out back and good gelato and pastries. Haven't tried Jin's yet.

allison

Gotta try El Gringo in Hermosa, Its where I took Alton when he came out..I have pics on my web site...you can eat on the patio deck and sip a nice mexican brew while eating a bowl of Xol-Chee....right price, right distance for you...I say go for it!

Moo, Cluck, Oink.....they all taste good!

The Hungry Detective