• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Glucose for pastry

albiston

I've been having a few problems finding "pastry" glucose here in Germany.

Luckily working in a research lab I managed to rescue a can of pure glucose (99.5%) from the dustbin. A research group next to our lab is moving away and they're throwing away loads of good stuff they don't need anymore.

Now, this glucose is powder while the glucose I've always seen used in pastry is more of a thick syrup. That probably means that the pastry stuff is mix of glucose and water. I was wondering if anyone here knows the percentage of pure glucose in there, so that I can recreate the right proportions to be used for pastry jobs.

Thanks!

Il Forno: eating, drinking, baking... mostly side effect free. Italian food from an Italian kitchen.

i looked at my bucket of glucose syrup and it reveals no numbers but it does say that it is made from glucose syrup and sulfites. however there is also powdered (atomized) glucose, maybe that is what you have (it is generally used in sorbets and ice creams). i will see if i still have the container and let you know if that has any info on it.

nkaplan@delposto.com

Albiston: Glucose syrup and dextrose are produced from number 2 yellow-dent corn. It requires about 60 bushels of corn to produce one short ton of either glucose syrup or dextrose. A general definition of glucose syrup is: An incompletely converted corn starch in which at least 20 percent of the starch has been converted to a dextrose equivalent (DE) on a dry basis. Crystalline dextrose can either be hydrous or anhydrous. Hydrous dextrose is 92% solids and anhydrous dextrose (such as your can salvaged from the lab), 100%.

You may reference this chart to determine the typical sugar compostion of three glucose-syrup formulas.

Incidentally, the conversion factor of glucose syrup to dry corn sugar is generally calculated at 1:1.25 ratio bay weight.

"Dinner is theater. Ah, but dessert is the fireworks!" ~ Paul Bocuse

You may reference this chart to determine the typical sugar compostion of three glucose-syrup formulas.

Incidentally, the conversion factor of glucose syrup to dry corn sugar is generally calculated at 1:1.25 ratio bay weight.

Redsugar,

thanks for the link. It would seem my pure glucose is actually quite different from either glucose syrup or dry corn syrup, since it really is 99.5 glucose with no maltose or trisaccharides. Makes the scientist in me wonder if it would work better then glucose syrup though... guess I should just try using it. After all, if the main function of the glucose syrup is to prevent crystalization, pure glucose should work even better.

I presume pastry chef do not use the pure stuff simply because it is much more expensive than normal glucose syrup. Could this be the case?

Il Forno: eating, drinking, baking... mostly side effect free. Italian food from an Italian kitchen.

I presume pastry chef do not use the pure stuff simply because it is much more expensive than normal glucose syrup. Could this be the case?

Yes, that is generally true. Also, the moisture content (approx. 15%) of the glucose syrup used in baking is deemed useful; indeed, the glucose solids themselves are moisture-retentive elements in baked goods. Glucose syrup adds humectancy to some products such as oatmeal cookies. Also, it enhances browning & flavour development.

Researchers at Cargill Specialty Food Ingredients, Wayzata, M, have noted a 5% to 7% replacement of sucrose in commercial cookie, bread, or roll formulations can help maintain texture and moisture of the products and increase shelf life by several days.

"Dinner is theater. Ah, but dessert is the fireworks!" ~ Paul Bocuse

Redsugar,Nov 17 2004, 09:37 AM
Researchers at Cargill Specialty Food Ingredients, Wayzata, M, have noted a 5% to 7% replacement of sucrose in commercial cookie, bread, or roll formulations can help maintain texture and moisture of the products and increase shelf life by several days.

Umm, what would happen if you put some in a cake recipe??? Would it have the same nice effects?? I mean I could experiment, but maybe you know already???

Wait wait - you switched from talking about glucose to sucrose - 'replacement of sucrose' you mean use 5-7% glucose instead of an equal amount of sucrose???

I mean I've been working hard on my white cake formula and I'm pretty happy with it - if I put in a little glucose do you think that would enhance shelf life, moisture & texture???

Edited by K8memphis (log)