• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Advice for a cheese virgin?

lexy

I like cheese, but the only stuff I usually buy is aged cheddar, feta, and stilton, and I want to try something new. Any suggestions?

Two conditions:

(a) I'm a university student, so nothing too expensive

(b) I'll probably be eating some of this on a train journey next week, so nothing too messy, or obnoxiously stinky

Cutting the lemon/the knife/leaves a little cathedral:/alcoves unguessed by the eye/that open acidulous glass/to the light; topazes/riding the droplets,/altars,/aromatic facades. - Ode to a Lemon, Pablo Neruda

Lexy, m'dear, this is a superb website with lots of different types of cheese for you to check out to help you decide cheese.. both basic and more elaborate:biggrin: I just bet you'll read about and run out to buy some of the types you have specified, i.e. not expensive nor stinky ... :hmmm:

Since everyone has a different taste inclination, my choices are Saint Andre, Brie, Havarti, and a provolone .. yours will, of course, be different ..

Melissa Goodman aka "Gifted Gourmet"

I live in a rural college town without much local access to unusual cheeses. A couple of years ago a young professor started a cheese club, collected monthly dues and distributed small portions of exotic stuff she'd ordered from somewhere. Much of it was distributed (and consumed) at impromptu cheese parties on the day the order arrived. It was a great, low-risk way to experiment.

--Jon

Lexy -

Do you have access to a Trader Joe's? Their cheese selection is top notch for a grocery store. I am still a cheese newbie, but some stuff I picked up last time that was very good:

Morbier (a little stinky, but mild full flavor, excellent softish cheese).

Dubliner (a sharp Irish cheddar with an interesting tang to it)

Parrano (supposedly an aged gouda/parmesan blend, has hints of both, plus almost a smokey flavor underneath).

He don't mix meat and dairy,

He don't eat humble pie,

So sing a miserere

And hang the bastard high!

- Richard Wilbur and John LaTouche from Candide

I'm a student too, and I'm just getting into cheese-tasting. But I find cheese pretty affordable; I usually just look for the smaller pieces of the cheeses that I haven't tried before. No point buying a big piece if I'm not sure if I'll enjoy it. Some recent ones I have tried are:

-English Huntsman Double Gloucester and Stilton

-Morbier (if I remember correctly--is this the cheese that has a layer of ash that separates the morning and evening milk?)

-Benedictin Bleu (this is an award-winning blue cheese from Quebec, I think)

My favorites are stilton, aged cheddar (5 years--you can find this at Costco), goat cheese, gouda, and brie. I find camembert a little strong, so I cut the rind off. I don't know if this is sacrilegous.

Edited by Ling (log)

The cadillac of blue cheeses is Maytag Blue which I love but it's pretty expensive. Another blue cheese that is fabulous is Monterey Blue (from CA) - look for that one!

"Did you see what Julia Child did to that chicken?" ... Howard Borden on "Bob Newhart"

And Trader Joe's has manchego cheaper than anyone else in my neck of the woods. yum.

-Jason

Lexy -

Do you have access to a Trader Joe's?  Their cheese selection is top notch for a grocery store.  I am still a cheese newbie, but some stuff I picked up last time that was very good:

Morbier (a little stinky, but mild full flavor, excellent softish cheese).

Dubliner (a sharp Irish cheddar with an interesting tang to it)

Parrano (supposedly an aged gouda/parmesan blend, has hints of both, plus almost a smokey flavor underneath).

-Jason

hmm, I'm pretty sure there's no Trader Joe's around here (I'm in Toronto), but I have access to some pretty good cheese shops

Thanks for the advice though (especially the website, Gifted Gourmet) :biggrin:

Cutting the lemon/the knife/leaves a little cathedral:/alcoves unguessed by the eye/that open acidulous glass/to the light; topazes/riding the droplets,/altars,/aromatic facades. - Ode to a Lemon, Pablo Neruda

Havarti and Jarlsberg are both nice and easy to eat/stash while travelling. I'd umpteenth the vote for good goudas also.

All those are good with crisp fruits like apples and pears, and grapes, also crackers of course. Good takers for a train trip.

Nice link, GG. Thanks. :biggrin:

Judith Love

North of the 30th parallel

One woman very courteously approached me in a grocery store, saying, "Excuse me, but I must ask why you've brought your dog into the store." I told her that Grace is a service dog.... "Excuse me, but you told me that your dog is allowed in the store because she's a service dog. Is she Army or Navy?" Terry Thistlewaite

See what kind of price you can get for long (e.g. 2-year) aged gouda.

That would be my rec, too. Real aged gouda – not the stuff that gets cut off a tube in neat rounds – is something to behold. Golden, tart and caramelly. Mmmm. (And not at all stinky, so you can eat it unabashedly in public!)

If you can find a cave-aged gruyère, it's a revelation. I love all the little crunchy crystalline bits. P'tit Basque is another favorite, though probably harder to find and more expensive. Unstinky, too. Welcome to the world of cheese! Pull up a cracker! :biggrin:

"I just hate health food"--Julia Child

Jennifer Garner

buttercream pastries

I'm guessing that Toronto has a decent cheese shop or two. Wander in at a relatively slow time and tell the person behind the counter what you're in the mood for -- and don't be afraid to vague, they'll understand when you say "runny but not too stinky -- and they'll likey recommend their favorites and give you samples to choose from. And, if you drop in regularly, they'll remember and take care of you.

If you have only had the grocery store stuff, a real triple-cream Brie will be a revelation. I like Tellegio quite a bit -- runny, with a rich, sour taste, but perhaps too stinky for a train ride. I don't know how wide their distribution is, but Humboldt Fog is a relatievly creamy American goat cheese that I've eaten quite a bit of, and anything sold by Sally Jackson, especially the sheep's milk sold wrapped in chestnut leaves, is good eating.

And, always, gruyere.

I'm on the pavement

Thinking about the government.

We managed t form a cheese society at university - most people just joined for a laugh and the drinking but we did manage to hold some events (such as the winter wonderlan of cheese!) where we managed to get a good selection for everyone to try - everyone was allocated a cheese to bring.

We also organised an annual trip to the wensleydale creamery!

I love animals.

They are delicious.

When you are at your cheese shops or the sections in the grocery look for little baskets that have odd small pieces in it. I have found this at both my grocery stores that have nice cheese sections. There are small pieces of cheese, usually the ends or small cuts for $1-$3. I think this is a great way to try different cheeses.

Current favs are Comte, Pe'tit Basque, Pecorino

depends on how you plan to eat it.

In a sandwich i'd recommend Emmenthal

If you're spreading it on bread, Gorgonzola..with a bit of honey

By itself..maybe a nice Edam

Do not expect INTJs to actually care about how you view them. They already know that they are arrogant bastards with a morbid sense of humor. Telling them the obvious accomplishes nothing.