• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Calling All Charleston Experts!

BetsyinKY

Ok, so here is my dilemma....My best friend and I are going to Charleston for four days between Christmas and New Year's. We are both really excited about the trip, but as usual, he is leaving all the research to me. Now, some people travel to see new things, but not me...I travel to eat in new restaurants! The problem is, that as adventurous as I am when it comes to new food, he is the exact opposite. His idea of a good meal is either a burger or chicken fingers. He is one of the pickiest eaters that I know. We went to New Orleans a few years ago and when we ate at "good" places, he generally did not eat, choosing to snack later. This drove me absolutely nuts, but at least my sister was with us on that trip, so I wasn't eating alone with him sitting there with no food. On this upcoming trip, it will just be the two of us. So, that's the background...here is where I need eGullet advice: What are some good restaurants in Charleston where we both might be happy? I have read all the threads on here that I can find about Charleston food, but would like more comments from those who have been there. I am not picky at all, except when it comes to quality...if it is good, I will usually eat it! However, I would love to find some places where we both feel comfortable when we look at the menu. Price is not a big issue.

Thanks!

So, if I am "hearing you correctly, he needs burgers and chicken fingers while you are interested in actually sampling the town's wares??

Charleston is, of course, loaded with all manner of good dining ... if he eats seafood, maybe fried like those chicken fingers, try Hyman's Seafood on the main street ... they have some marvelous options for fancier stuff but also, down-to-earth fried fish and/or shrimp which might please him. And, most places have some sort of burgers for him ...

California Dreaming looks as if it will be good for you both!

menu for 82 Queen

None too simple to resolve ... but enjoy Charleston! It is marvelous in many respects, food being only one of them ...

I am going there the first week of December to sightsee and eat ... haven't been back in three years ... and definitely going to the Peninsula Grill this time!

Melissa Goodman aka "Gifted Gourmet"

So, if I am "hearing you correctly, he needs burgers and chicken fingers while you are interested in actually sampling the town's wares??

Charleston is, of course, loaded with all manner of good dining ... if he eats seafood, maybe fried like those chicken fingers, try Hyman's Seafood on the main street ... they have some marvelous options for fancier stuff but also, down-to-earth fried fish and/or shrimp which might please him. And, most places have some sort of burgers for him ...

California Dreaming     looks as if it will be good for you both!

menu for 82 Queen

None too simple to resolve ... but enjoy Charleston! It is marvelous in many respects, food being only one of them ...

I am going there the first week of December to sightsee and eat ... haven't been back in three years ... and definitely going to the Peninsula Grill this time!

I just got back from doing a food story in Charleston. It should be posted through today at www.charlotte.com (click on Food on the left side of the opening page).

A couple of suggestions that would probably please both a basic-food person and a foodie:

Hominy Grill. It's simple Southern food, but prepared very well. Chef/owner Robert Stehling was a protege of Bill Neal's, and also trained at restaurants in New York. It's open breakfast, lunch and dinner. It's also a little away from the tourist areas around Market Street, giving you a chance to see other parts of Charleston.

Jestine's Kitchen. Also Southern food, more in the blue-plate special line.

FIG and Slightly North of Broad are both excellent, more higher-end, white-tablecloth places. But they also walk that line between familiar foods and more interesting things. SNOB particularly specializes in twists on Lowcountry foods. I also like Anson, which has a comfortable Old Charleston feel.

Kathleen Purvis, The Charlotte Observer

Kathleen Purvis, food editor, The Charlotte (NC) Observer

Once again the dining suggestions are a bit off for Charleston. Even if the friend likes simpler foods there are good options in Charleston. Hank's would be the best choice for both of you, I have no doubts. Hyman's always has a long line, but dont let it fool you, its second rate, if that. Rue de Jean would be good as well. And any of the southern food places, Jestines or Hominy Grill would be sure to please.

Once again the dining suggestions are a bit off for Charleston.

check these out yourself :rolleyes:

and I happen to like Hyman's Seafoods .. especially their shrimp-and-grits dish! So there, chapeaulong ... :hmmm:

Charlotte Observer: “When in Charleston, you’ve missed out if you don’t find the opportunity to try Hyman’s Seafood and Aaron’s Deli.” Raleigh News & Observer: “Hyman’s is the exception to the rule that seafood must be pricey to be good...Excellent food in a casual atmosphere.”

Thanks, everyone, for the suggestions! I will continue to research and check back here between now and the end of next month. If anyone thinks of anything else, please post it and I will give a nice, long trip report when I get back!

I've been following this thread and keep wanting to recommend Bowen's Island because I believe anyone within fifty miles of Charleston and perhaps a hundred miles has to have dinner at Bowen's Island.

What are the odds of your fickle friend shucking down a shovel full of roast oysters?

Holly Moore

"I eat, therefore I am."

HollyEats.Com

Twitter

When I spoke to a friend who has spent a number of years in Charleston, who knows the food there quite well, she gave me the following list:

McCrady's

Charleston Grill

Peninsula Grill

Slightly North of Broad

Hank's

Since I will be in Charleston for the first week of December, I have made reservations for Peninsula Grill and McCrady's ...McCrady's :biggrin:

If your friend eats oysters, definitely do Bowen's Island. It's one of the greatest culinary dives on the planet.

Hank's seafood, mentioned above, is a great compromise place with no compromises: you can get everything from basic fried fish to some pretty elegant stuff (Frank McMahon, the chef, trained at Le Bernardin). I especially like the "Low Country Bouillabaisse."

Peninsula is the best restaurant I've visited in Charleston, and you might be able to sell it to your friend as a steak place. They do have a filet, a ribeye, and a New York strip, served steakhouse style with everything on the side. That tends to satisfy the picky eaters. Meanwhile you can get the more interesting food.

Sticky Fingers has pretty good barbecue ribs and makes for a nice lunch.

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

The view from California Dreaming is nice, but I will have to say I definitely do not recommend the food. They have 3 or 4 other locations around North & South Carolina and the food is about on par with Applebee's, but worse... It might fit the bill for your friend, but I remember their chicken fingers being especially awful..

Edited by deibu (log)

There are alot of eats in Charleston, and I think the topic has been chewed over before as to where the Holy City should rank amongst culinary destination points...but why not start it again!

The divine Mrs. Purvis's article on Johnson & Wales moving north to Charlotte highlights the fact that food drives the bus in the town. However, I think anyone would agree that in a town of that size (namely small) with that many restaurants (namely alot), there are going to be some good ones and some bad ones. I guess the trick for us foodies is identifying which of the ones thought of as "good" are actually "bad," and which of the "bad" ones are actually "good." Not to mention which of the "good" ones are really and truly "great."

I agree with Holly Moore that Bowens is probably great and I agree with Kathleen that the other previous posters that Hominy Grill is also great. They are not great because they lack white table cloths on the tables (am not sure Bowen's even has what we would all accept as tables...more like benches) or are reasonably priced -- they both are, but for devotion to their product these two are at the top of my list. Having been to Hominy Grill with a picky eating friend, I think we both found it really enjoyable...not to mention a good restaurant should make even the pickiest of eaters fall in line and eat the good stuff.

I have only had one meal at SNOB but I did like it quite much, even if the whole process felt a little forced. (note: I ate there the day Johnny Cash died and they were playing his music on the stereo, a nice touch.)...I guess all this goes back to my point that in a city with so many restaurants and so many of them trying to out do each other (nothing quite like barkers for Bubba Gump's Shrimp Company trying to coax you into their establishment) the diversity in dining experiences is going to be quite broad.

Meritage down below the market is also a nice place to have a glass of wine and some tapas, even if it is not the most Southern of Southern places to go.

William McKinney aka "wcmckinney"

Another idea for fried seafood is the Anchor Line, on Folley Road a little past the turn off for Bowen's Island -

I've done some eating around and about Charleston, much of it away from the historical distric. Here's the page on my site for Charleston Charleston at HollyEats.Com

Holly Moore

"I eat, therefore I am."

HollyEats.Com

Twitter

Wow! This is why I love the south and am proud to consider myself southern! I asked a similar question on another eGullet forum back in the spring and hardly received any responses, but you all have outdone yourselves with helpful suggestions! Thanks so much! I can't wait to start mapping out my "plan of attack" for meals! :)

Hello,

I reside in a suburb of Charleston and have eaten at most of the "better" restaurants in the area.

Given the relative size of Charleston, the city is blessed with a high proportion of excellent restaurants. You would be surprised at how many have a national reputation. The Mayor and the CoC have worked hard to cultivate an "upscale" image. They have actively discouraged anything like a Bourbon Street or River Street from taking root here. As a result, Charleston is consistanly ranked as one of the top 5 vacation destinations in the US.

Pennisula Grill is my favorite restaurant. The Food is consistantly excellent and the service is exemplary. Many times we have had 7 or 7:30 reservatians and have walked out after 10:30. At no time did we feel rushed or hurried (as in other restaurants that want to "turn the table"). The wait staff has the ability to magically appear exactly when they are needed and to remain unobtrusive when not needed. The wine list accomidates most budgets, though it is skewed to higher priced selections. There is enough variety on the menu to satisfy most palates- beef, game, seafood predominate. Most rave about the 7layer Coconut Cake, to me it is just OK- but I am a Creme Brulee and Chocolate fan anyway.

High Cotton is another of my favorites- Predominantly Beef and Game, with some seafood and an overall Southern feel. Good but not outstanding wine list and sometimes service can be spotty- especially when the restaurant is crowded.

Signature "Henry Baine" sauce tastes like seasoned A-1, but you know what ? It works.

Grille 225 wonderfull upstairs roof top bar with a panaramic view of the river and the city. When this restaurant opened, it boasted of being the most expensive restaruant in town and the only one to serve Prime Beef. It may not be the MOST expensive but it is not cheap. EXCELLENT beef and seafood with a wonderfull variety of choices. Best Veal Chop in the city. Extensive wine list. Service is good, but not great. Nice wraparound banquet style seating that affords some privacy. The decor is brand new, but designed to look old and has a reproduction furniture feel to it.

Carolina's Way off the beaten path, but well worth it. In the past year, the restaurant has been redone, with a new menu and a renovation of the decor. Menu emphasis is on seafood, but beef and lamb choices are available. The food is well prepared, with a Southern accent. Good wine list. Excellent food and experience. Can be crowded on a weekend night, but you can linger at your table.

Cypress; Pan-Asian with some Southern accents. I am not a great fan of Pan Asian cuisine but friends of mine who are rave about it. The management boasts that Cypress has the most extensive wine selection in the city. As you walk in you will see their Wine Wall.

Magnolia's Once a top line restaurant, now trading on reputation. High End Charleston/Southern cuisine. Food is good, but you can do better.

Charleston Grille- top notch Food and wine. However, the main dining room can be crowded and noisy. We have occasionally felt rushed as well. Oddly enough, my wife and I have had a better time eating in the bar area, where the tables are more secluded.

Hank's Overpriced and Touristy. Better tasting seafood is available at other places. Never underestimate the power of marketing. The restaurant cultivates a Power Bar scene. Each time we have eaten here (business and pleasure) we have felt rushed, as if there were another party waiting for our table.

Blossom Good basic pasta and wood fired oven pizza and local seafood. Moderately priced and unprententious. Hard to have a bad meal here. They have recently redone the menu however.

SNOB- Slightly North of Broad We have eaten here several times/yr since it has opened. We have never had a bad meal and at all times the food, service and overall experience has been consistant. It is possible for a couple to spend $40 or $200 and at either extreme to leave satisfied. Beef, pasta and seafood. They are open for lunch. Excellent Sesame Tuna on the lunch menu.

Anson Old Charleston/South at its best, with a modest French influence. Beef, Seafood, Grits. While it is located adjacent to the Market Area, it in no way feels touristy. Try for a table upstairs. My wife loves the Crispy Flounder.

Fish As the name implies, it is a seafood restaruant. Location is in the now trendy Upper King Street area. The motivation behind the restaurant is to present seasonal and eco friendly seafood as simply as possible. They succeed admirably.

Small and well focused wine list.

39 Rue de Jean located at 39 John Street (get it ?) Parisian Bistro translated for Charleston. Traditional Bistro fare + sushi (?? Don't understand the connection). Excellent Mussels prepared several ways. Moderately priced. Very much a local clientele. Good burgers.

You want good seafood ? Go to the Boathouse at Breach Inlet. ~20min drive from downtown. Ultra Fresh, grilled or broiled, with simple sauce or glaze. Not that expensive. Try to get a table on the enclosed porch, overlooking the intercoastal waterway and marsh.

Station 22 located on Sullivan's Island. Excellent local seafood, large portions. Reminds me of the old fashioned locally owned seafood restaurants that used to populate the North Eastern seashore.

That should be enough to get you started......

PLEASE report back after your trip. We would love to find out what you thought !

Best,

Ross

Welcome to the Southeast Forum of eGullet, Ross! and a very special thanks for your marvelously informative, knowledgeable post on the restaurants of Charleston! I am most impressed . We look forward to hearing more (and more!) from you! :biggrin:

39 Rue de Jean  located at 39 John Street (get it ?)  Parisian Bistro translated for Charleston.  Traditional Bistro fare + sushi (?? Don't understand the connection).  Excellent Mussels prepared several ways.  Moderately priced.  Very much a local clientele.  Good burgers.

I used to work at 39 Rue de jean during school. I recomend it, also Bessingers BBQ on Savanna hwy.

R.I.P.

Johnny Ramone

1948-2004

www.RAMONES.com

• 2 weeks later...

Interestingly Esquire magazine listed a new restaurant in Charleston as one of the best new restaurants of the year in the latest issue. The restaurant's name is Sienna, has anyone been there to eat yet? It's my understanding that it is a very good take on Italian cooking...

William McKinney aka "wcmckinney"

In response to your comments, Bill, here is their very informative and enticing website:

Sienna Restaurant

and then I read this as well: article on Sienna

Sienna, joining the ranks of the best restaurants in the country, was the only restaurant selected in South Carolina, and one of the only places in the Southeast to receive this honor. In the magazine’s article, Mariani states “were I to award points in this annual restaurant survey, only Sienna would get a ten solely for its cooking.”

One of area’s hottest new epicurean delights, Sienna’s innovative menu and décor make an impression, capturing the taste buds of every guest. Vedrinski’s spirit comes alive when guests enter the open-air dining room, where vaulted ceilings and arches hover over intimate tucked away spaces and transform the area into an invigorating dining experience. 

Having just returned from a week in Charleston and sampling Peninsula Grill, I now realize that I ought to make yet another trip for Sienna as well ...

Hominy Grill was a marvelously creative place for breakfast, Holly! The pumpkin-ginger bread (cut quite thickly!) was incredibly spicy and moist. My shrimp omelette with peppers and cheeses, fried potatoes were amazing! Thanks for your tips from your website!

"Nearly every food magazine has raved about Robert Stehling's Hominy Grill. The basics are so well done here that you realize how poorly they're often done elsewhere. Biscuits, eggs, cornbread, grits and salads are not only enlivened by the freshest ingredients, they're sparked with touches like ginger in the cole slaw and fried green tomatoes in the BLT's."— Richard B. Woodward, New York Times, April 23, 2004

RE: Sienna

I agree- food is EXCELENT ! Even though it is located on Daniel Island and thus a bit of a drive to get to, it is worth the trip.

Caveat- Service can be spotty- servers seemed to be unpolished and not very knowledgeable regarding the wine list and the preparation of the menu choices. My opinion mirrors that of others who have eaten there.

Esquire's reviewer seems to have a soft spot for Charleston. It is he who originally brought attention to the Charleston Grille (under Louis Osteen's stewardship) and then to Pennisula Grille and McCrady's.

Best,

Ross

Sienna should be a wonderful place. Chef Ken Vedrinski, formally of The dining room at the Woodlands resort, is one of the best in Charleston. I was fortunate to dine at the Woodlands when he was at the helm, and it was one of the best meals I have ever had. I would imagine with a kitchen staff that worked with him at the Woodlands (see "key ingredients" on Sienna website) that the food will be spectacular. On the burger note, I'm with "Cakes" Liberty is great and so is Moe's Crosstown Tavern on Rutledge Ave.