• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Euromatik is now Illy

Thanks to the great equipment shopping coverage in your book Eating in Italy, we bought a Euromatik espresso maker that uses pods or measured-out doses. Illy has bought the company that made Euromatik, and we notice that Starbucks sells their expresso pod maker under its (Starbucks) name. So Faith, have you had any experience with the one that Starbucks sells and describes on their web site? Euromatik was such a great tip from you that we want to be sure the next one we will eventually need is as good.

Ciao Roberto

I love my Euromatik and knew that Illy bought the company. I've never seen the Starbucks version. I would caution anyone who gets the machine to check on service. I checked out the Starbucks web-site, finally found the espresso machines, Barista, which look very different from anything I've ever had. And I've had quite a few espresso machines. The model I currently use is called Twin, and makes 1 or 2 shots at time, convenient for a crowd.

a presto

Faith

Thanks to the great equipment shopping coverage in your book Eating in Italy, we bought a Euromatik espresso maker that uses pods or measured-out doses. Illy has bought the company that made Euromatik, and we notice that Starbucks sells their expresso pod maker under its (Starbucks) name. So Faith, have you had any experience with the one that Starbucks sells and describes on their web site? Euromatik was such a great tip from you that we want to be sure the next one we will eventually need is as good.

Ciao Roberto

The Illy machines look very interesting. I'm tempted. And I'm going to check them out and will let you know.

a presto

Faith

Don't tell anyone I looked at the Starbucks site--may ruin my reputation as the espresso bitch.

Faith, I messed up. The machine on the Starbucks site is not the old Euromatik. Instead it's the Illy Francis 5 that you can see on the Illy site. Does that ring a bell or look like what you have? My regrets.