• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Help me doctor this up

LaurieB

To make a long story short, this past weekend I had to make a bunch of dishes that were not my own recipes. One of which was a beef stew kind of thing.

It was OK. Not great, not WOW! But certainly not inedible. So now I have a bunch of it left over and I'd like to doctor it up to make it taste a little better.

Any ideas? Here's what was in it:

Beef round steak, floured and seared before braising

Garlic, shallots, bay leaf, tomato paste, beef stock, Zinfandel, baby carrots & mushrooms. S&P

The beef came out very tender, but the overall flavor is just, lacking, somehow.

I'm thinking of adding in some porcini powder and maybe a little more wine to the sauce.

Any other ideas?

Thanks!

Laurie

Stews always seem to be better the next day. Maybe just try that. Triple check the salt level. A very small amount can make the difference between "eh" and "wow"...

When all else fails, saute some more aromatics in a seperate pan with some olive oil, then add it to the stew, simmer 20 minutes, and reseason.

Screw it. It's a Butterball.

To make a long story short, this past weekend I had to make a bunch of dishes that were not my own recipes.  One of which was a beef stew kind of thing. 

It was OK.  Not great, not WOW!  But certainly not inedible.  So now I have a bunch of it left over and I'd like to doctor it up to make it taste a little better.

I haven't done a beef stew in a while, but I love lamb stews, and they always benefit from a little crisply-fried bacon, or salt pork. Really deepens flavors, but don't overdo it.

Edited by nr706 (log)

vinegar

Not that it's a bad suggestion, but don't you ALWAYS say "vinegar"? :wink:

:laugh:

Only for stew! Chili, lamb stew and beef stew. It really works! Okay, also for braised onions, braised radiccio, braised cabbage....

Seriously, I never understood the wonder of vinegar with meat until the first time I tried it, and now I believe it is a magical substance.

edit: the trick is to add just enough so that it does its job, but so little that nobody can tell what it is. It just pulls everything together for me.

Edited by Behemoth (log)