• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Laccha Paratha

Hello everyone,

Am quite new to this forum.

Has anyone tried making laccha paratha successfullly?

I do not seem to get the layers and it's so disappointing. I dust the surface with oil and flour before cutting a radius, folding it like a cone, flattening it and then rolling out.

In the dough I add oil too.

I am originally from Kolkata, where we get the most amazing layered parathas.

Any suggestions????

Thanks

Nayantara

Lacchha is a Punjabi word loosely meaning rings. Like Onion rings will be called Onion Lachha. The Lachha parantha is called so because of the ring shaped layers that are created in the process of making the dough ball.

If my memory servers me right, the Kolkata version of Lachha parantha uses more maida (all purpose flour) than atta (whole wheat durum atta). It has been more than 12 years since I was in Kolkata.

AP flour being more pliable, it is possible to get more lachhas than regular atta. We make these at home sometimes and usually get pretty good results. Basically following the same steps that you have mentioned. Try dusting some atta on the top layer also before you cut and start rolling.

I'll try and post some pictures next time we make it.

Cheers!!

Thanks Deliad. Some pics will be great. You are right, flour (maida) is the preferred medium as compared to atta. Since the Bongs traditionally have a sweet tooth, some shops even add a little powdered sugar to the dough. Not much mind you, just a little. It tastes divine!

I dust the surface with oil and flour before cutting  a radius, folding it like a cone, flattening it and then rolling out.

What you have described is known as "Dhakai parathas".

Laccha Parathas need not be made with white flour. White flour tends to make the dough very elastic. This Glutinous product can be fortified with melted ghee (I would prefer half pure and half vegetable). Fat in the dough not only strenghtens the structure of the dough but also breaks down the elasticity of the flour

Some also recommend adding mashed potato or cornstarch - it does work against the elasticity - but does not enrich the product.

Use whole wheat flour, add salt and melted ghee. Rub in the ghee. Add water and make a pliable dough. Use a little oil to smear on top when dough is ready.

The trick is to knead the dough slowly and rest it. Make small rounds and roll gently. Smear enough oil and sprinkle enough flour to absorb the oil. Mix with fingers and spread evenly on the rolled dough.

Make pleats, stretching it from both ends and fold in joining both ends.

Rest it again for some time under a moist cloth (not wet)

Roll again gently. Cook on a slow well heated thick griddle. Cook on both sides and then smear with ghee.

Some purists do the lacchas twice.

Although I don't have a direct answer to your question, I must say that in my observation one of the prerequisites to Parathas is an...ahem...extensive use of ghee. WHile my experience was in the South I'll never forget seeing street vendors working and stretching the Paratha on a flat steel-topped cart that was swimming in ghee.