• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Saturday Night in SF

Bond Girl

I will be in alone in SF next saturday night and would like to explore one of the more local haunts of the city. Any recommendations for places where I can dine alone? Any eGulleters in the SF area who would like to join me, please feel free to PM me.

Ya-Roo Yang aka "Bond Girl"

The Adventures of Bond Girl

I don't ask for much, but whatever you do give me, make it of the highest quality.

Squeat will disagree with me on this but - 1550 Hyde is a good choice, you can eat at the bar, the food and service are both good and they have a very nice wine list.

Kiss is a great place to go by yourself, just call and reserve a seat at the bar - the place only holds 11 or 12 people so it's best to have a res. They serve some of the best sushi in SF and they are very much off the beaten path.

Squeat will disagree with me on this but - 1550 Hyde is a good choice, you can eat at the bar, the food and service are both good and they have a very nice wine list.

I'd have to admit that the meal at 1550 Hyde was awful that day with Squeat. Squeat really got screwed. Mine was alright. I thought I would wait and go one or two more times before permanently crossing it off, but yeah that night was pretty bad.

I think Kiss is a very good choice for a solo diner, but I prefer Gary Danko whenever I'm alone and in town. I just love that bar.

I love cold Dinty Moore beef stew. It is like dog food! And I am like a dog.

--NeroW

I will be in alone in SF next saturday night and would like to explore one of the more local haunts of the city.  Any recommendations for places where I can dine alone?  Any eGulleters in the SF area who would like to join me, please feel free to PM me.

There are a lot of great places for solo dining in San Francisco. Here are a few of my favorites:
  • the bar at Aqua (expensive, Financial District, elegant new-French seafood)
  • the bar at Bizou (Cal-Mediterranean, neighborhood, moderate prices)
  • the bar at Fringale (French/Basque, neighborhood, all entrees less than $20)
  • the "dinner counter" at Boulevard (downtown, expensive, excellent wine list, American Bistro)
  • the bar at Jardiniere (Cal-French, high end, Opera/Symphony area, expensive)
  • the bar at Absinthe (French-American Bistro, moderate prices, interesting wine list)
  • the bar at Town Hall (American-Southern Bistro, moderate prices)
  • Chapeau! (French Bistro way out in the Avenues... no bar, but a great place)
  • Chez Papa (French Bistro on Potrero Hill)

(Those on this list most resembling "local haunts" are Bizou, Chapeau!, Chez Papa and Fringale).

Edited by chaud-froid (log)

I've eaten at the bar at Incanto (Church St. at about 28th) a few times and have always had great experiences -- good food, friendly service, reasonable prices (entrees $16-20). All the wines are available by the glass and also in 2.5 oz. tastes, which makes matching wines with courses possible for a single diner. The bar manager is great about suggesting wines to go with your food choices, too. I've never had a bad match following his suggestions.

It's easy to get to on the streetcar line and I've never seen it so crowded that a single diner or a couple couldn't find a place at the bar, even at prime dining hours.

I'd add one of my personal favorite local haunts: Limon. I've eaten at the bar at their new expanded location several times, and continue to be very impressed with the quality of the food. Very accessible by either BART or MUNI.

Cheers,

Squeat

PS If you do choose Limon, consider ordering the Empanadas Don Walter -- delicious! (I know you don't do much red meat, but these are beautifully seasoned and really not heavy on the meat -- the flavor is wonderful.)

PPS I wish I were free on Saturday... it would be a pleasure to see you again. Unfortunately, the social season seems to have arrived in full force!

I have to respectfully disagree with you, Squeat dear, on Limon. I did not find their food to be at all compelling. Mochica, on the other hand, was excellent, but I don't know if I'd go there by myself - it doesn't really lend itself to solo dining.

allison

PPS I wish I were free on Saturday... it would be a pleasure to see you again. Unfortunately, the social season seems to have arrived in full force!

Squeat, you aprty animal! :biggrin:

On a different note anyone's been to Pilar Sanchez?

I don't ask for much, but whatever you do give me, make it of the highest quality.

I have to respectfully disagree with you, Squeat dear, on Limon. I did not find their food to be at all compelling. Mochica, on the other hand, was excellent, but I don't know if I'd go there by myself - it doesn't really lend itself to solo dining.

Beautiful... more for me! Let me know next time you guys go to 1550 Hyde and I'll drink a toast to you from Limon! :biggrin:

Recent visits to Limon have been a bit of a let-down too. Mochica, on the other hand, is fabulous, I completely agree with Ms.Melkor on that one. Their various ceviches are the best in town at the moment.

I wouldn't go to Chez Papa alone if I were you. The place doesn't quite lend itself of a good solo dining experience, as you would likely be stared at in sympathy by the entire bright young things set out socializing on any given night.

Edited by pim (log)

chez pim

not an arbiter of taste

I wouldn't go to Chez Papa alone if I were you.  The place doesn't quite lend itself of a good solo dining experience, as you would likely be stared at in sympathy by the entire bright young things set out socializing on any given night.

Good advice, as of now I will be grabbing sushi at Kiss

Recent visits to Limon have been a bit of a let-down too.  Mochica, on the other hand, is fabulous, I completely agree with Ms.Melkor on that one.  Their various ceviches are the best in town at the moment. 

I wouldn't go to Chez Papa alone if I were you.  The place doesn't quite lend itself of a good solo dining experience, as you would likely be stared at in sympathy by the entire bright young things set out socializing on any given night.

Gee if I went would they stare at me too? 56 overweight white male. Got my hair though. Always up for all kinds of female attention. :laugh::raz::laugh::raz::biggrin:

Bruce Frigard

Quality control Taster, Château D'Eau Winery

"Free time is the engine of ingenuity, creativity and innovation"

111,111,111 x 111,111,111 = 12,345,678,987,654,321

Gee if I went would they stare at me too? 56 overweight white male. Got my hair though. Always up for all kinds of female attention. :laugh:  :raz:  :laugh:  :raz:  :biggrin:

Whatever floats your boat, Bruce, whatever floats your boat. :blink::laugh:

chez pim

not an arbiter of taste