• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Favorite dishes of the Sudtirol?

Dear Ms. Willlinger,

Thank you for sharing your experience with us!

Coming from Austrian roots I'm intrigued with Sud Tirol cusine which I believe combines elements from both Italian and Austrian/German cuisine.

Do you have some favorite and/or unique dishes that are from that area?

And secondly, do you know if there is a cookbook that focuses on this region, including or not including Southern Austria as well?

Thanks so much in advance! :smile:

"Under the dusty almond trees, ... stalls were set up which sold banana liquor, rolls, blood puddings, chopped fried meat, meat pies, sausage, yucca breads, crullers, buns, corn breads, puff pastes, longanizas, tripes, coconut nougats, rum toddies, along with all sorts of trifles, gewgaws, trinkets, and knickknacks, and cockfights and lottery tickets."

-- Gabriel Garcia Marquez, 1962 "Big Mama's Funeral"

Ciao Ludja

I have fond memories of the Sud Tirol, where I studied with master chef Andreas Hellrigl. Buckwheat cake, wine soup, canederli, in addition to Andreas's creative dishes. The product I lust for is quality speck, since it's not easy to find the truly great stuff in Florence. It was difficult for Andreas to find one that would satisfy him in Merano, he complained that they were mostly industrial. I have a copy of Andreas's cookbook on the cuisine of the Sud Tirol, but am sure that it's out of print.

a presto

Faith

Dear Ms. Willlinger,

Thank you for sharing your experience with us!

Coming from Austrian roots I'm intrigued with Sud Tirol cusine which I believe combines elements from both Italian and Austrian/German cuisine.

Do you have some favorite and/or unique dishes that are from that area?

And secondly, do you know if there is a cookbook that focuses on this region, including or not including Southern Austria as well?

Thanks so much in advance!  :smile:

Ciao Faith,

Thanks for the reminiscences, as well as the mention of Andreas Hellrigl's book. It is too bad that it is out of print, but I would like to track it down if possible. Do you recall what language the book is in and maybe the title?

I'm sure it doesn't compare the best speck available, but in central CT thare is a residual Austrian community and there are a few butchers where you can still get speck. My parents send me one out to CA now and then... I'm carefully using one up right now!

Thanks again, and I appreciate it if you have further information on Hellrigl's book.

Ciao,

ludja

"Under the dusty almond trees, ... stalls were set up which sold banana liquor, rolls, blood puddings, chopped fried meat, meat pies, sausage, yucca breads, crullers, buns, corn breads, puff pastes, longanizas, tripes, coconut nougats, rum toddies, along with all sorts of trifles, gewgaws, trinkets, and knickknacks, and cockfights and lottery tickets."

Since I can see that you are being kept very busy with new questions from folk, I just wanted to let you know that I was able to find out the info--with the help of another egulleteer. Thanks again for your time and inspiration. :smile:

ludja

Edited by ludja (log)

Ciao Ludja

I hunted for the book but couldn't find it, but think it was published in German and Italian. You might ask the Biblioteca Culinaria if they can find it for you.

a presto

Faith

Ciao Faith,

Thanks for the reminiscences, as well as the mention of Andreas Hellrigl's book.  It is too bad that it is out of print, but I would like to track it down if possible.  Do you recall what language the book is in and maybe the title?

I'm sure it doesn't compare the best speck available, but in central CT thare is a residual Austrian community and there are a few butchers where you can still get speck.  My parents send me one out to CA now and then... I'm carefully using one up right now!

Thanks again, and I appreciate it if you have further information on Hellrigl's book.

Ciao,

ludja