• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Bakers Flour

annanstee

Hi there,

I was wondering if any of you bakers out there could tell me if there is a difference between bakers flour and cake flour. I saw some flour with the former label, but wasn't sure if it was meant for cakes or bread, or what.

Thanks a million,

Ann

The sea was angry that day my friends... like an old man trying to send back soup in a deli.

George Costanza

I will certainly say that the term "bakers flour" is pretty vague. This is the first I've heard of it.

I refer to my flours as bread flours, cake flours, pastry flours, all-purpose flours, high gluten flours, whole wheat flours, rice flours, and so forth. Sheesh.....bakers flour sounds like it could be anything.

I did a quick Google search and found that bakers flour refers a lot to high protein flours, but found a couple of sites that referred to their bakers flour as being a general all-purpose flour.

So who knows.

Generally cake flours are for just that.....cakes. Cake flour has a relatively low protein content so that it can't form long gluten strands resulting in a rubbery cake. Cake flour has some other applications too.....but mostly it's cakes.

As to your question, is there a difference between bakers flour and cake flour......probably.

It all depends on exactly what "bakers flour" means. I suspect it's all purpose, but I couldn't say for certain. Maybe someone else is more familiar with the term than I.

Stick with bread or high gluten flour for bread and pastry or low gluten flour for everything else and you can't go wrong.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

Thanks for your thoughts everybody. The price was lower than one would expect for cake flour, so I got a little excited, but I guess it was too good to be true.

Ann

The sea was angry that day my friends... like an old man trying to send back soup in a deli.

George Costanza

Hi, Annanstee! Baker's flour is what some companies here in Canada call their commercial all-purpose flour.

We use it a lot at my work for cookies, cinnamon buns, etc...you know... unexacting items. If you bake cakes, go for the cake flour and save yourself some stress.

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

Many of the recipes in Baking By Flavor call for "Bleached" All-Purpose flour. I was wondering if this more processed version of unbleached All-Purpose flour (which is what I always use - kIng arthur's version) actually changes the consistency or texture of the final product. I've heard that unbleached may be a little more likely to get crumby...any thoughts (and should I worry about substituting the flours?) Thanks

Hi Ananstee! I'm guessing you saw the Robin Hood Baker's flour at Costco. I use it all the time and it works quite well. I wasn't sure what it was either so I e-mailed Robin Hood and here's their response:

The difference between the Keynote and the Baker's Flour sold at Costco is that the Keynote flour is strictly a Commercial bread flour.  This product is specially blended to work with industrial equipment and it is perfect for breads, buns, pizza doughs, or just about anything that has a "bread-like" texture.  It will NOT work for things like cookies, cakes, pastries, pie crusts ect...

Baker's Flour, on the other hand, is an All-Purpose flour.  It is great for any type of baking.  It can be used for breads and cakes, buns and pies, or just about anything that requires flour.

Hope this helps. By the way, Wendy (Sinclair) says to never apologize for asking questions or think they're silly. Everyone is here to help. :biggrin:

Don't wait for extraordinary opportunities. Seize common occasions and make them great. Orison Swett Marden

it's probably all purpose.

one of baking guru didier rosada's trademark quips is "all purpose flour: used for everything, good for nothing."

Who the heck is Didier Rosada? AP flour is fine! I've been baking bread with an organic unbleached AP flour for three years and it's given me great results!

Marc-A

Marc-André Cyr

Boulanger

I agree, Marc A, that A/P flour makes good bread, but we're in Canada and our A/P is a higher gluten flour than in America. I, too, use organic unbleached A/P for my sourdough bread, but for regular non-organic yeasted I use a bread flour ... same price as the non-organic A/P, but a little stronger. Cheers, Susan