• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Viking Stand Mixers

melmck

I used one in a cooking class (at a Viking cooking school) a while back (two years??). I found it was very awkward to attach the attachments (paddle, whisk) to the machine. Maybe I was too used to my Kitchen Aid?? I dunno. Because of that, I wasn't very fond of them.

Jeff Meeker, aka "jsmeeker"

If what's been said is not enough...

When I first laid eyes on that Viking and felt its power with the switch of the on button, I was sold (for a discounted price). I immediatly put it to work for a variety of applications, and I'm sad to report that I only find it useful for gum paste.

Everything that everyone, prior to this post, had to say is the absolute truth. My whip broke, can't feel the bottom of the bowl, attachments are akward and take too much time time to attach, whip doesn't go to the bottom of bowl and takes longer to whip meringues, it's ergonomically incorect, etc...

But hey, it's a power-house for gumpastes (as long as you scrape the bowl a couple of times :hmmm: ).

Needless to say, I prefer the KA. I have an entire graveyard full of them! :wacko:

I meant awkward.

Edited by SummerSun (log)

Well! You've all been extremely helpful, not to mention the fact that you've saved me $500!

I'm glad to know that my sturdy, old models of KAs are still the best. :wub:

You've made me very happy!

Thanks.

kit

"I'm bringing pastry back"

Weebl

I have gained new perspective on my Viking from this thread.

I don't think my Viking is bad. I can see the ergnomics you talk about but I understand that the KAs have a dimple in the bottom and similar issues with stuff in the bottom center of the bowl not mixing.

Also, for me, I like the Viking's meat grinder attachment because it has never stalled or slowed down, works beautifully and is easy and quick to set up. I haven't bought ground beef in awhile.

I doubt this would burn out and it can handle far heavier doughs I think than the KAs without burning out.

Well, that must mean something is wrong with mine. I can run a batch of buttercream and because I have to turn it on so far in advance just to get the meringue made properly, it slows and stalls when I'm adding the butter (this is about 20 mins continuous running at speed 6 with a min or two at speed 8 when I add the syrup). It doesn't happen every time, but often enough. I turn it off, wait a few seconds and then it goes right back on as if nothing ever happened.

But it's 2? 3? years old so I'm sure I'm out of luck as far as it goes. :sad:

I don't know. I am told that after continuous operation with any substantial batter (or butter I suppose), many mixers stop to prevent overheating.

I adjusted the paddle attachment today after realizing yesterday (this thread helped) that it wasn't low enough to the bottom of the bowl.

The adjustment took a minute and I baked an apple cake from Rosie's All-Butter Fresh Cream and Sugar Packed No Holds Bar\red Baking Book and it was perfect. The mixer worked great this time and there was a little part at the bottom of the bowl that I had to scrape up, and the sides had to be scraped down, but it was otherwise very nice.

I think a lot of people with the Viking mixer don't adjust the attachments to reach the bottom of the bowl!

I have a theory that there is a simple trick to it to prevent the locking mechaism from wearing out. That is to use both hands to bring the motor down to the bowl: one hand holds the lock lever open, and the other hand lowers the motor. When it reaches bottom, the hand holding the lever open releases that and there is a small click and everything is locked into place without excessive impact.

Some people are very hard on things like knives and mixers. I think there is a sensitivity to mechanical things: when to use force, when to use finesse. The Viking seems to be very very sturdy and well-made compared to the KAs and I think properly treated it will last longer and won't burn out.

If it runs 20 minutes continuous, that is pretty good. I have been doing heavy meat grinding with not a single hiccup or problem. I have been baking in it and now that it's in adjustment, I am very happy with it.