• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Why Florence?

I'm curious about your choice of Florence for a home base in Italy. I love Florence, but don't think of it as a great gastronomic town. There are some fine restaurants, but the tourist influx is so strong that there seem to be far more mediocre ones. Perhaps I have this wrong -- do you view Florence as a place for good restaurant dining?

When in Florence, do you tend to eat at home or visit restaurants? And, when in your home town, where do you like to dine out?

Many thanks for joining us in this Q&A and sharing your expertise!

Jonathan Day

"La cuisine, c'est quand les choses ont le go�t de ce qu'elles sont."

Ciao Jonathan

The reason is simple. My husband is Florentine, and although we lived in Rome for 5 years, he jumped at the chance to work in the city of his birth. We bought an apartment in the center of town, with a hearth in the kitchen, perfect for grilled and roast meats that are the centerpiece of Tuscan cooking. After all my travels, tasting exciting dishes from master chefs and home cooks, super-fresh fish on the coast, I enjoy the simplicity of Tuscan meat and especially vegetable dishes, and eat most of my meals at home. I have sources for great ingredients all over Italy. When I do dine out in Florence, Fabio Picchi's restaurant Cibreo (and Fabio's nearby Teatro del Sale), Benedetta Vitali's Zibibbo, Pandemonio (a bit pricy but worth a splurge every now and then), Ruggero and, outside town, Mamma Rosa are restaurants that I'm crazy about.

a presto

Faith

I'm curious about your choice of Florence for a home base in Italy.  I love Florence, but don't think of it as a great gastronomic town.  There are some fine restaurants, but the tourist influx is so strong that there seem to be far more mediocre ones.  Perhaps I have this wrong -- do you view Florence as a place for good restaurant dining?

When in Florence, do you tend to eat at home or visit restaurants?  And, when in your home town, where do you like to dine out?

Many thanks for joining us in this Q&A and sharing your expertise!