• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

High End Kitchen Design on a Budget?

azlee

My object in this project is to save cash wherever I can, without sacrificing on quality and functionality. While, it would be nice to work beauty somewhere into the equation, mostly I want to end up with a really excellent kitchen to work in. I spend alot of time in the kitchen and have never had an almost blank page to start from. It's exciting but it's also scary because everything is so expensive and there is so much beautiful stuff from which to choose.

I could also live happily with scratch and dent appliances or floor sample cabinets. Any tips or notice of sales would be much appreciated. Are there any home or kitchen bath type shows coming to NYC anytime soon? Thanks

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks again to all for your advice. It's all very much appreciated and helped me to focus my thinking.

Andiesenji, I did contact Designer's Challenge, as you suggested. Unfortunately, they are not looking for NYC area projects, at this time.

Also, as it turns out, the kitchen renovation budget is now greatly reduced, other work in the apartment needs to be done first, so I will have to wait a few years to get my Bulthaup cabinets. A wall will still be coming down, opening the kitchen up to the livingroom, so the old 5x7 space will become a U shaped butler's pantry featuring a laundry area and a cork floor and a galley kitchen will flow from that space and will line part of the exposed brick wall facing the dining/livingroom area.

The architect has suggested using Metro Shelving in the pantry space (not many people will see inside that space) to save in the budget for the galley space cabinetry and appliances. The shelving would be laid in in the same configuration as any future cabinetry, so that plumbing and wiring would be relatively unchanged when the happy day arrives. I wondered if anyone has used Metro Shelving so extensively in their residential kitchen and how crazy would it be to extend the use of the Metro Shelving in the galley space, as well, and top the cabinet height shelving with soapstone as a countertop.

I would then use a console type sink, maybe a stainless steel or a porcelain farmhouse sink. I have alot of cookware and dishes that I wouldn't mind having on display and any items not fit for display can go in the pantry area.

The appliance choices have been narrowed down to Bosch for the dishwasher and washer/dryer and GE Profile for the drop-in gas range (may still go with the Bosch range and matching microwave) and fridge w/ bottom mount freezer, all in stainless steel (GE fridges now come with a built-in Brita water filter).

I am really curious if folks have any advice on using Metro Shelving instead if conventional cabinets or other alternatives. Also does anyone know if Metro make any shelving with doors? Thanks again!

Azlee

Edited by azlee (log)

I can't speak to doors for Metro shelving, but I took a five-foot length of shelving, cut two six-foot poles in half to make four corner poles, added a second shelf midway up the poles above the one that sits a few inches above the floor, and topped the unit with a solid stainless shelf, so I now have a 5x2 ft work table with two shelves below. Easily portable, can go to the next house, and gives me easy access to oft-used bowls, tools, and appliances. I don't know about topping it with a heavy countertop surface, but someone else may....

• 1 month later...

The project planning continues and the budget concept has gone completely out the window. Now choosing between:

Bulthaup and ValCucine cabinets (stainless countertops);

DCS, Dacor and Monogram 30" all gas ranges;

Miele or Monogram 18" dishwashers;

Sub-Zero 700/TC fridge-freezer

Cork or Linoleum floor

Curious to find similar quality alternative products with which others have had success with or folks experience with the items currently up for consideration. This will be a galley or short "L" kitchen along a brick wall, the plan now is for the kitchen to be partially exposed into living/dining space.

I've never built a kitchen before, so fear has driven me to kitchen systems with mostly integrated sinks, backsplashes and countertops and recommended expert installers. I am somewhat handy but realistically won't have the time to devote to putting a lot of sweat equity into the project. otherwise, I'd be all about doing this with Ikea cabinets and raising the bar on the appliances, backsplashes and countertops. Thoughts?

Thanks

Azlee :wacko:

DCS makes GE Monogram. I don't know how the price compares. GE service is excellent here in Houston. That made my decision for me. The service issue can be a big one.

Sub-Zero has a terrible reputation here. Lots of problems. One set of friends finally got rid of them. I would look at other brands.

I have been looking some more and will stick with Ikea for the cabinets unless my contractor can do job built, with quality hardware, for about the same.

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

For your floor you might want to look at Amtico. They do high end vinyl floors which are comfortable underfoot but look great. And their prices are reasonable. They have a showroom on Lexington in the low 30s/upper 20s. And installation has to be done by an authorized dealer.

Edited by bloviatrix (log)

"Some people see a sheet of seaweed and want to be wrapped in it. I want to see it around a piece of fish."-- William Grimes

"People are bastard-coated bastards, with bastard filling." - Dr. Cox on Scrubs

We redid our kitchen a few months back; we splurged in some areas and kept it tight in others.

For example, i really wanted to go with true linoleum, but in order to afford my 36" DCS range, I used VCT tile: looks identicle, lasts forever, however the environmental considerations are lost.

We also chose a flat front KA dishwasher that is so dreamy! The controls are hidden on the door and the thing is virtually silent.(The model I speak of is comparable to the Bosch.)

We have very good things to say about Ikea cabinetry: my partner and I installed it in a week-end, as well as their wooden countertops. Granted, you can't used them to actually chop on, but I have two butcher blocks anyway, so this combined with the concrete counters my guy poured himself saved us loads!

"Godspeed all the bakers at dawn... may they all cut their thumbs and bleed into their buns til they melt away..."

DCS makes GE Monogram. I don't know how the price compares. GE service is excellent here in Houston. That made my decision for me. The service issue can be a big one.

Sub-Zero has a terrible reputation here. Lots of problems. One set of friends finally got rid of them. I would look at other brands.

I have been looking some more and will stick with Ikea for the cabinets unless my contractor can do job built, with quality hardware, for about the same.

Thanks Fifi,

I keep reading about Sub-Zero problems but everyone who I know that has one, is very happy. Maybe it depends which model. Also, I don't think any other manufacturer makes a 27" counter depth unit. If I did Ikea, I could definitely afford a larger range or an extra wall oven. I will keep Ikea under consideration. Thanks!

Azlee

I know for a fact that GE makes counter depth refrigerators because that's what I had planned to buy. There are other brands, but I can't think of them at the moment.

Drimmer's (Coney Island Ave in Bklyn) opened a showroom in Manhattan not to long ago. I think it's under the name of Manhattan Kitchen & Bath. You might want to go there to look at appliances.

"Some people see a sheet of seaweed and want to be wrapped in it. I want to see it around a piece of fish."-- William Grimes

"People are bastard-coated bastards, with bastard filling." - Dr. Cox on Scrubs

I know for a fact that GE makes counter depth refrigerators because that's what I had planned to buy.  There are other brands, but I can't think of them at the moment.

Drimmer's (Coney Island Ave in Bklyn) opened a showroom in Manhattan not to long ago.  I think it's under the name of Manhattan Kitchen & Bath.  You might want to go there to look at appliances.

Thanks! I think the GE ones are 36" wide, which is too big for my space. but if they make a 30" it could workout. I did go to Drimmer's Manhattan store for my bath fixtures, so I can check the kitchen appliance prices next time I'm in.

Does anyone know of any good scratch and dent places for the appliances? Or a good out of state place with low or free shipping and no tax? Thanks

Azlee

Thanks Fifi,

I keep reading about Sub-Zero problems but everyone who I know that has one, is very happy. Maybe it depends which model. Also, I don't think any other manufacturer makes a 27" counter depth unit. If I did Ikea, I could definitely afford a larger range or an extra wall oven. I will keep Ikea under consideration. Thanks!

Azlee

We're just beginning a kitchen renovation ourselves...re-did our kitchen in our former house 5 years ago and were so sad to leave it :sad:

We went with the Miele dishwasher, and absolutely loved it! So much so, that we took it with us! It is sitting in our laundry room awaiting for the renovation. The house we bought has a Kenmore Elite dishwasher that I would definitely recommend, and if I hadn't experienced the Miele first, may have been convinced to go with. The Miele is much quieter, however, cleans better, and does have the option to run a cycle with just the top rack, which we found helpful as we are only two as well.

As far as the refrigerator, we splurged and went with the Trio, by Sears. Sub-Zeros have a terrible reputation here as well. Love the bottom freezer, and the French Doors were great. They now make it in a counter depth version, and Maytag and LG also make the French Door version, but I think Sears is the only one with the counter depth one. Look at Sears online for their outlet and you can sometimes find the scratch and dent appliances you're looking for...

edited for spelling, or lack thereof... :unsure:

Edited by squids (log)

I keep reading about Sub-Zero problems but everyone who I know that has one, is very happy. Maybe it depends which model. Also, I don't think any other manufacturer makes a 27" counter depth unit.

Check out Liebherr. They make good quality products in the dimensions you're looking for. Sub Zero is an excellent product too, but as is the base with exotic cars, the cost to repair them (non-warranty) are high.

A.

I would also hesitate before selecting Sub-Zero.

I had the twin set, refrigerator and freezer and they were a tree full of lemons.

If anything could go wrong it did. Compressor on the freezer was replaced 3 times in 8 years, on the fridge, twice.

Soon after I got them, the interior of the refrigerator developed a crack on the interior wall in the back corner.

I noticed a dark streak, took everything out and when I wiped it my cloth stuck in the crack.

They replaced the entire unit but I was never happy with them.

At one time they were very reliable but have gone downhill in the past several years.

I have a friend who lives in Belleville, New Jersey and who has found appliances at a scrath and dent place somewhere not too far from her home. I am not familiar with the area so have no idea if it is close to New York or not.

She is in Florida visiting her mom right now and her son doesn't know where she bought her stuff. He said he would give her a message to call me but I am not going to hold my breath.

You might check yellow pages for the area.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

Thanks! I think the GE ones are 36" wide, which is too big for my space. but if they make a 30" it could workout. I did go to Drimmer's Manhattan store for my bath fixtures, so I can check the kitchen appliance prices next time I'm in.

Azlee

GE Profile does make a 31" almost counter depth fridge (30 3/8 in deep). I forget the model number.

I keep reading about Sub-Zero problems but everyone who I know that has one, is very happy. Maybe it depends which model. Also, I don't think any other manufacturer makes a 27" counter depth unit.

Check out Liebherr. They make good quality products in the dimensions you're looking for. Sub Zero is an excellent product too, but as is the base with exotic cars, the cost to repair them (non-warranty) are high.

A.

Thanks, Liebherr shows great promise, hopefully the freezer is large enough to hold a cookie sheet for freezing fruit for pies. I guess that's about the size that would hold a frozen pizza box. Liebherr will certainly be less expensive than the Sub-Zero. I was also considering the Fisher and Paykel bottom mount model but it would poke out a few inches from the counter.

I just had some cork floors installed in my kitchen and I love them. They feel great underfoot (soft but not squishy) and since I don't like wearing shoes in the house are "warm" which makes it a lot more comfterable to stand on. The ones I have are also surprisingly durable. The floor was put in very early on in the construction process and with installing the new cabinets, appliances especially the fridge (two different ones, don't ask) I thought that they were going to get scratched and scuffed up and they did not. I used the floors from these guys http://www.globuscork.com/ they were very good to deal with.

Jong

We redid our kitchen a few months back; we splurged in some areas and kept it tight in others.

For example, i really wanted to go with true linoleum, but in order to afford my 36" DCS range, I used VCT tile: looks identicle, lasts forever, however the environmental considerations are lost.

We also chose a flat front KA dishwasher that is so dreamy! The controls are hidden on the door and the thing is virtually silent.(The model I speak of is comparable to the Bosch.)

We have very good things to say about Ikea cabinetry: my partner and I installed it in a week-end, as well as their wooden countertops.  Granted, you can't used them to actually chop on, but I have two butcher blocks anyway, so this combined with the concrete counters  my guy poured himself saved us loads!

I am hoping to use "integrated type" appliances (dishwasher, refrigerator) does Ikea carry the inserts, so that the appliance doors are "seamless" with the cabinets? Thanks

Azlee

I just had some cork floors installed in my kitchen and I love them.  They feel great underfoot (soft but not squishy) and since I don't like wearing shoes in the house are "warm" which makes it a lot more comfterable to stand on.  The ones I have are also surprisingly durable.  The floor was put in very early on in the construction process and with installing the new cabinets, appliances especially the fridge (two different ones, don't ask) I thought that they were going to get scratched and scuffed up and they did not.  I used the floors from these guys http://www.globuscork.com/ they were very good to deal with.

Jong

That cork flooring is gorgeous!

We finished our kitchen remodel in the first half of '04, and here are a few thoughts.

When moving into our home about 10 years ago, we purchased a high end Kitchenaid dishwasher to replace the one that came with the house (and basically wouldn't clean dishes). This is one that lists for $900-$1000 and has a street price around $600. Something like their S Series in their current line, I suspect (also comes in hidden controls/stainless). It worked great and was quiet. No complaints, but we originally got white and we wanted stainless for our remodel.

Upon remodeling, we picked a Bosch SHY99A05. I think we paid $1200-$1300. Perhaps you could get it for less, but my guess is Bosh isn't discounted as deeply. It is great and it is more quiet than the Kitchenaid and perhaps more energy efficent (hard to tell) but in all reality, when you consider we paid about twice as much, it certainly isn't twice as good.

What's my point? The Kitchenaid was a great dishwasher and plenty good. It had a stainless interior (a must IMO) got stuff really clean and was pretty quiet. It also comes in stainless, panels and you can get hidden controls. The premium to get Miele, Bosch or Asko doesn't buy you a lot IMO. I'd consider Kitchenaid. FWIW, we replaced my mother-in-law's tired old dishwasher with the Kitchenaid we pulled from our kitchen and it keeps on doing a great job.

Next up, fridge. While I understand the Subzero has the appeal, I'm not sure what it buys you in actual performance. Certainly, you have the issue of built in vs stand-alone (let's come back to that), but you want a fridge to be cold and have a decent layout and be quiet and reliable. I guess I miss what else there is or how much it matters.

My wife didn't want to spring for the money for a built-in but I did. We had 36" for a fridge. We did want to get a counter depth fridge as our layout really didn't support a full-depth unit. In the end, I convinced her to get a built in (in this case a Freezer on bottom, Overlay) instead of the counter depth. In reality, we paid twice as much for the built in, and it was all about looks. The counter depth would have kept everything cold and all, but I really wanted a streamlined look. The compromise was that I couldn't go over-the-top on the price. W/o my wife to hold me back, I probably would have looked very seriously at the Northland fridges since you can get them with a stainless interior and glass shelves. Mmm, yummy.

What's my point here? Well, I can understand wanting the built in, while I sure could'a been digging the stainless and glass interior, it wouldn't be a great return on investment.

Microwave? Ditto the cost/benefit issue. Just get a decent one that looks decent. We got a pretty fancy one and to be honest, we don't use any of the fancy features. :-O Although do pay attention to interior size and wattage. You probably want something with at least 1000 watts.

Ok, why am I pushing all this about saving money on the fridge and dishwasher and stuff? Well, because I think it would be better spent on the stove. I'd try to get the best stove you can since that is really the business end of the kitchen.

To be honest, I goofed up here and didn't realize what a difference it makes. I purchased a good looking Jenn-Air glass top cooktop with radient burners. Looks great. I figured all this stuff about super hot burners and all was hype. And besides, the glass cooktop will be easy to clean, right? Well, the cleaning thing is complete nonsense since things get burned on like they were in a blast furnance. And, well, the burners really aren't as hot as I'd like (hey, I'm learning here!) - big pot of water takes quite a while to heat up and you have to be careful about heat retention while searing. On the upside, the control is pretty good. It isn't really bad, but I wish I would have done better.

So in hindsight, I'd try to get a real good pro-sumer gas stove, or perhaps an induction stove. I'm real interested in the latter since you evidently get the heat and control, while, ironically, it also sounds like the cleanup is very easy because the surface of the top doesn't get hot (instead, your pan does) so the stuff doesn't get baked on. It sounds like some people even put a piece of newspaper down between the pot and the stove for really messy stuff! Downside? Cost (they are pretty expensive) and you need pots and pans with some ferrious metals like the All-Clad stainless.

Countertops? We got granite, and yes, I know they are everwhere, but we like them and they are durable. I'd be afraid with soapstone to chip our gouge them. Concrete would be cool IMO (certainly a no-go with my wife tho!). Stainless would be OK (also a no-go with wife), but perhaps a bit cold*. The Stilestone stuff (crushed quartz in resin or something like it) would be more durable than natural stone and look decent, but it looks like it costs just as much as natural stone. Tile looks decent, but I'd be worried about keeping the grout lines clean. I did notice that there are some new grouts or grout additives that make the grout waterproof which I'd look into if I went this route. Laminate is darn functional and inexpensive, although I have to admit it would be near the bottom of my list.

We went with a 18ga stainless dual, same-size, bowl undermount sink from Franke. I really wanted to get two large single sinks and put them together because I like really large bowls, but we just didn't have the space. The unit we got has nice, deep bowls and provides more room in every direction than our old one while still sitting in the same footprint as the old sink (which was small and very shallow!). If you go stainless you want the heavier 18ga with a sound deadening coating on the bottom.

I think cork flooring would be cool. You could probably also do some cool things with concrete, esp. if you did concrete countertops. Pergo is fairly cheap and looks decent and is durable.

Don't forget lighting. Lighting can make a dramatic change in a kitchen, and can be awfully practical as well! We put in a bunch of low voltage halogen cans in our kitchen and halogen under-counter lights and are really glad we overhauled the lighting.

Also, we have a pretty small kitchen as well (although not as small as you are talking) and we did manage to make things feel much better by just honing it. Pushed the cabinets out a couple of inches, switched to a larger, bow window (no actual, usable space added, but it feels more open), made the entryway a few inches larger, didn't wrap the cabinets all the way around, etc. Little tweaks, but it feels much more open and less cramped.

We also made sure the new cabinets all had full extension pulls, pullout shelves, etc. All this helps make the space more usable.

FYI, here is a FAQ for commercial ranges in home kitchens.

-john

* Perhaps this isn't as much of a factor in a contemporary style, but you might want to consider the balance of the materials. Originally we were thinking of getting the fridge in stainless. Later, we changed our minds and did a wood overlay and we are really glad. I think that big hunk of stainless (plus the other stainless items), plus the granite coutnertops and the tile backsplash and the windows would have overpowered the wood in the cabinets. We also added a window treatment to help soften things a bit.

More induction threads:

induction cook tops

AEG 4 burner Induction cooktop

Induction versus Blue Star comparison test

Edited by JohnN (log)

I am really curious if folks have any advice on using Metro Shelving instead if conventional cabinets or other alternatives. Also does anyone know if Metro make any shelving with doors? Thanks again!

I have two Metro shelf units in my kitchen--very little cabinet space, no counter space, no real way to add more, so there it is. They don't have doors--open shelving is sort of the whole point. I keep all my baking stuff, my small appliances, and so on on them. I like them a lot, actually. I guess in practice they're more counter replacement rather than cabinet replacement, at least for me. I think even if I had a chance to redo a kitchen I'd keep them.

"I think it's a matter of principle that one should always try to avoid eating one's friends."--Doctor Dolittle

blog: The Institute for Impure Science

We finished our kitchen remodel in the first half of '04, and here are a few thoughts.

When moving into our home about 10 years ago, we purchased a high end Kitchenaid dishwasher to replace the one that came with the house (and basically wouldn't clean dishes).  This is one that lists for $900-$1000 and has a street price around $600.  Something like their S Series in their current line, I suspect (also comes in hidden controls/stainless).  It worked great and was quiet.  No complaints, but we originally got white and we wanted stainless for our remodel.

Upon remodeling, we picked a Bosch SHY99A05.  I think we paid $1200-$1300.  Perhaps you could get it for less, but my guess is Bosh isn't discounted as deeply.  It is great and it is more quiet than the Kitchenaid and perhaps more energy efficent (hard to tell) but in all reality, when you consider we paid about twice as much, it certainly isn't twice as good. 

What's my point?  The Kitchenaid was a great dishwasher and plenty good.  It had a stainless interior (a must IMO) got stuff really clean and was pretty quiet.  It also comes in stainless, panels and you can get hidden controls.  The premium to get Miele, Bosch or Asko doesn't buy you a lot IMO.  I'd consider Kitchenaid.  FWIW, we replaced my mother-in-law's tired old dishwasher with the Kitchenaid we pulled from our kitchen and it keeps on doing a great job.

Next up, fridge.  While I understand the Subzero has the appeal, I'm not sure what it buys you in actual performance.  Certainly, you have the issue of built in vs stand-alone (let's come back to that), but you want a fridge to be cold and have a decent layout and be quiet and reliable.  I guess I miss what else there is or how much it matters.

My wife didn't want to spring for the money for a built-in but I did.  We had 36" for a fridge.  We did want to get a counter depth fridge as our layout really didn't support a full-depth unit.  In the end, I convinced her to get a built in (in this case a Freezer on bottom, Overlay) instead of the counter depth.  In reality, we paid twice as much for the built in, and it was all about looks.  The counter depth would have kept everything cold and all, but I really wanted a streamlined look.  The compromise was that I couldn't go over-the-top on the price.  W/o my wife to hold me back, I probably would have looked very seriously at the Northland fridges since you can get them with a stainless interior and glass shelves.  Mmm, yummy.

What's my point here?  Well, I can understand wanting the built in, while I sure could'a been digging the stainless and glass interior, it wouldn't be a great return on investment.

Microwave?  Ditto the cost/benefit issue.  Just get a decent one that looks decent.  We got a pretty fancy one and to be honest, we don't use any of the fancy features.  :-O  Although do pay attention to interior size and wattage.  You probably want something with at least 1000 watts.

Ok, why am I pushing all this about saving money on the fridge and dishwasher and stuff?  Well, because I think it would be better spent on the stove.  I'd try to get the best stove you can since that is really the business end of the kitchen. 

To be honest, I goofed up here and didn't realize what a difference it makes.  I purchased a good looking Jenn-Air glass top cooktop with radient burners.  Looks great.  I figured all this stuff about super hot burners and all was hype.  And besides, the glass cooktop will be easy to clean, right?  Well, the cleaning thing is complete nonsense since things get burned on like they were in a blast furnance.  And, well, the burners really aren't as hot as I'd like (hey, I'm learning here!) - big pot of water takes quite a while to heat up and you have to be careful about heat retention while searing.  On the upside, the control is pretty good. It isn't really bad, but I wish I would have done better.

So in hindsight, I'd try to get a real good pro-sumer gas stove, or perhaps an induction stove.  I'm real interested in the latter since you evidently get the heat and control, while,  ironically, it also sounds like the cleanup is very easy because the surface of the top doesn't get hot (instead, your pan does) so the stuff doesn't get baked on.  It sounds like some people even put a piece of newspaper down between the pot and the stove for really messy stuff!  Downside?  Cost (they are pretty expensive) and you need pots and pans with some ferrious metals like the All-Clad stainless.

Countertops?  We got granite, and yes, I know they are everwhere, but we like them and they are durable.  I'd be afraid with soapstone to chip our gouge them.  Concrete would be cool IMO (certainly a no-go with my wife tho!).  Stainless would be OK (also a no-go with wife), but perhaps a bit cold*.  The Stilestone stuff (crushed quartz in resin or something like it) would be more durable than natural stone and look decent, but it looks like it costs just as much as natural stone.  Tile looks decent, but I'd be worried about keeping the grout lines clean.  I did notice that there are some new grouts or grout additives that make the grout waterproof which I'd look into if I went this route.  Laminate is darn functional and inexpensive, although I have to admit it would be near the bottom of my list. 

We went with a 18ga stainless dual, same-size, bowl undermount sink from Franke.  I really wanted to get two large single sinks and put them together because I like really large bowls, but we just didn't have the space.  The unit we got has nice, deep bowls and provides more room in every direction than our old one while still sitting in the same footprint as the old sink (which was small and very shallow!).  If you go stainless you want the heavier 18ga with a sound deadening coating on the bottom.

I think cork flooring would be cool.  You could probably also do some cool things with concrete, esp. if you did concrete countertops.  Pergo is fairly cheap and looks decent and is durable.

Don't forget lighting.  Lighting can make a dramatic change in a kitchen, and can be awfully practical as well!  We put in a bunch of low voltage halogen cans in our kitchen and halogen under-counter lights and are really glad we overhauled the lighting. 

Also, we have a pretty small kitchen as well (although not as small as you are talking) and we did manage to make things feel much better by just honing it.  Pushed the cabinets out a couple of inches, switched to a larger, bow window (no actual, usable space added, but it feels more open), made the entryway a few inches larger, didn't wrap the cabinets all the way around, etc.  Little tweaks, but it feels much more open and less cramped. 

We also made sure the new cabinets all had full extension pulls, pullout shelves, etc.  All this helps make the space more usable. 

FYI, here is a FAQ for commercial ranges in home kitchens.

-john

* Perhaps this isn't as much of a factor in a contemporary style, but you might want to consider the balance of the materials.  Originally we were thinking of getting the fridge in stainless.  Later, we changed our minds and did a wood overlay and we are really glad.  I think that big hunk of stainless (plus the other stainless items), plus the granite coutnertops and the tile backsplash and the windows would have overpowered the wood in the cabinets.  We also added a window treatment to help soften things a bit. 

More induction threads:

induction cook tops

AEG 4 burner Induction cooktop

Induction versus Blue Star comparison test

John- Thanks very much! You and everyone else have given me much food for thought. My main interest in the Subzero was the fact that it measures 27" wide and is only 24" deep. That's about all the space, I have to spare. Admittedly, it's more money than I'd care to spend and it would be too weird to have a refrigerator that costs 4x the price of my cabinets. The Liebherr may solve that problem. The Northland is a possibility, as well. However, the listed distributor for NY seems to only sell them branded as Summit and not in the sexiest stainless and glass configurations. The same lack of space and need for a quiet machine dictates the necessity for the 18" Miele. When i was considering the Bulthaup cabinets i was planning on Stainless countertops. If I go with Ikea, what do folks suggest? I'm worried that natural stone may be too heavy for the Ikea cabinets. Thanks

Maybe you could post links to the cabinets styles you are considering? Perhaps something similar in a brand that could handle the weight could be found.

Maybe a floorplan as well. I just keep thinking there has to be room for some standard size stuff in there somewhere! :-)

-john

Edited by JohnN (log)