• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Surreal! Serial Cereal Ingesters Run Amok!

You hear so much about the rise of take-home food and restaurant dining being due to people who are too busy to cook but want to eat well. I guess this is for eaters who are too lazy to assemble but want to eat not-so-well....

Chris Amirault

eG Ethics Signatory

Sir Luscious got gator belts and patty melts

Edited to say: I didn't hear about the Philly connection. I assumed it was for NYC.

If it's not in Manhattan, they're nuts.

Ahem. :angry:

Hung around Penn lately?

--Sandy, former employee

Sandy Smith, Exile on Oxford Circle, Philadelphia

"95% of success in life is showing up." --Woody Allen

My foodblogs: 1 | 2 | 3

I just think that Philadelphia, college students or not, would not be the best place to try the experiment.

Stoner central in Greenwich Village, totally. Maybe Berkeley.

EDIT: Apparently, they opened one at Arizona State University first:

http://www.cereality.com

Chicago is next.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

I actually know these guys--used to work with one of them. I was as much a skeptic as all of you, but I'm starting to come around.

They're really smart, really focused, and (I think) well funded. Quaker Oats is a backer. The one in AZ (on campus at the University) is doing really well, and they plan to open several more in the coming months. I believe Chicago is up next. Wisely, they're staying away from NYC until they've worked out all the kinks in their business plan--they'll come here when they know their formula's up to snuff.

I'm going to Philly this weekend (family stuff) and I'm hoping I'll be able to stop by. I'll report back if I do!

thoughts on food, writing, and everything else: Words to Eat By

I was hoping by going to the website I could check out their prices. I suspect a bowl of cereal will cost more than box and a quart of milk at the supermarket.

"Homer, he's out of control. He gave me a bad review. So my friend put a horse head on the bed. He ate the head and gave it a bad review! True Story." Luigi, The Simpsons

It looks like an adorable idea..after all, you can have a bowl of ice cream l at home, but you go out to an IC parlor because it has the mix ins, the banana split fixins, etc...Cereality has quite an array of toppings, even plenty of healthy choices, and the bowls of cereal are 2.95 and 3.95, with unlimited milk.

And how much do you get in a bowl? Cuz when I'm jonesing for cereal, I really want cereal. Like two or three normal sized bowlfuls.

If you get what the side of the box says is one serving, who cares if you get unlimited milk? Is it whole? 2%? 1%? Skim?

I'd rather see it done like a college cafeteria, with the huge bins of the stuff, and you pay by weight, like a salad bar. Then I could have me that monster bowl of Cap'n Crunch.

"I just hate health food"--Julia Child

Jennifer Garner

buttercream pastries

I think it,s an excellent idea,And the location could,nt be better.I would wager a good 65-70% of college people eat cereal,i grew up on it myself as id bet a good %of eG,ers have.i hope it succeeds big time-

Dave s

"Food is our common ground,a universal experience"

James Beard

If college students are the main target audience, I'm surprised they aren't opening one in Boston.

Our Chamber of Commerce types like to throw a number at you that shows that the student population of Greater Philadelphia is larger than that of Greater Boston.

But Philly sure doesn't feel like a college town, and the 15th season of The Real World hasn't changed that at all. Boston, on the other hand, does.

As for the wisdom of opening the first freestanding location at Penn: I know that cereal was a big concern for students who had gripes about Penn Dining Services pre-Aramark takeover (and pre-Bon Appetit takeover, for that matter). They raised a huge stink when Dining Services removed Cap'n Crunch from the rotation--the hue and cry even made it into The Daily Pennsylvanian, the source of the story that begins this topic.

Sandy Smith, Exile on Oxford Circle, Philadelphia

"95% of success in life is showing up." --Woody Allen

My foodblogs: 1 | 2 | 3

When Per CeReality opens in New York, we'll know that the concept has arrived.

Thank God for tea! What would the world do without tea? How did it exist? I am glad I was not born before tea!

- Sydney Smith, English clergyman & essayist, 1771-1845

I bet this concept does very well. After all, imagine how well a place that sold bagels would do, or pancakes, or coffee. Coffee, now there's an idea-- I think I'll call my enterprise..... hmmm.... Barstucks! Nice ring to it.

Edited by Al_Dente (log)

peak performance is predicated on proper pan preparation...

-- A.B.

and whichever bran cereal looked like animal droppings.

There are ones that don't?? :unsure:

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

Okay, so just exactly how stoned does a person have to be to enjoy this experience? I'm thinking pretty darn stoned.

I'm willing to participate in an expedition to find out.... :cool:

Thank God for tea! What would the world do without tea? How did it exist? I am glad I was not born before tea!

- Sydney Smith, English clergyman & essayist, 1771-1845

Weird, I just don't get it, but then again, I don't particularly like cereal...

Coffee shops make since to me because they can often make a better product than one can make at home, having access to the best equipment, etc. Bagel shops are the same boat, I don't have huge bagels loaded with cool stuff, multiple flavors of cream cheese, and lox in my cabinets, but they do. This Cereality joint seems to have just boxes of retail cereal and a few things to toss on top... wouldn't take much time or money to get the same effect at home.

He don't mix meat and dairy,

He don't eat humble pie,

So sing a miserere

And hang the bastard high!

- Richard Wilbur and John LaTouche from Candide