• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The Chinese Dessert Topic

Shiewie

here's my project for the night :biggrin:

mango juice

gallery_41019_4000_32927.jpg

here's the syrup thickened with starch ( i used tapioca starch instead of cornstarch)

gallery_41019_4000_58926.jpg

then added in the evaporated milk

gallery_41019_4000_14123.jpg

a segment of the pomelo (i got lucky and got a sweet one)

gallery_41019_4000_71012.jpg

then mixed in with mangoes YUM. :wub:

gallery_41019_4000_25609.jpg

...a little bit of this, and a little bit of that....*slurp......^_^.....ehh I think more fish sauce.

• 9 months later...

gallery_24809_5249_817837.jpggallery_24809_5249_793094.jpg

I couldn't figure out what these were. The one on the left is sticky rice, came with a small container of a thin, white, kind of sweet, sauce. The yellow topping is smooth, a little fruity, and slightly sweet.

The one on the right seemed to have some bean/taro root component, and the bottom wrapper/shell seemed to be some kind of leaf.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Edited by Miami Danny (log)

Thank you to everyone who responded with your guesses. I suppose it was too easy! I finally caught up with the cook. On the left is sticky rice covered in mango custard, and the right is also sticky rice made gelatinous with the yellow center of mung beans. These were both made by a Thai lady, who was not sure if their origin is Thai, but who told me that the name of the dessert on the right is pronounced Ka-NOME, which means...dessert!

Edited by Miami Danny (log)

• 4 weeks later...

I made this last night, freestyling from 3 recipes I found online.

I used this:

2 cups milk

1 tb ginger juice (clearly not enough!)

3 tb sugar (also not enough!)

2 eggs

I heated the milk with ginger juice and tempered it into the sugar/eggs mixture.

I put the custard into my steamer for approx 10-15 minutes...

The texture on top had a bit of a curdled appearance. Is this because of the

steam droplets from my pot cover?? Underneath however, the custard was very smooth.

One recipe suggested the use of rice vinegar to prevent "egg curdling"... this had

little effect.

Please help, thanks.

Is this the steamed ginger pudding? I thought it didn't need eggs - the ginger juice and milk together "set up" like a custard. I read somewhere that you need "old ginger" and the secret is it should be UNPEELED! Something in the ginger skin... but i don't know what it is.

I am pretty sure the translation on Chinese dessert menus is

"Double boiled egg white with milk and ginger juice"

But I just threw in the yolks because I didn't want to waste.

Sounds something like "doon dan" ??

I don't think milk + ginger would set up like custard.

Old ginger. I didn't know. I bought fresh as I have no old!