• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The Chinese Dessert Topic

Shiewie

173630053O398149835.jpg

Mango with Sago Dessert

this recipe is given to me by a kind lady ( nickname : jingle26 ). She loves to attend cookery classes. Her original recipe uses mango and pomelo.

Ingredient :

1 cup water

1/4 cup sugar

1 large mango

2 cups of mango juice (use any packet mango juice)

1 cup of evaporated milk

1/2 cup cooked sago

1 cup of water (boiled & cooled)

Cornflour mixture ( mix in a bowl)

1 tbsp cornflour + 3 tbsp cooled water

Method :

1. Bring 1 cup of water + 1/4 cup sugar to boil until sugar dissolve. Add in cornflour mixture. Stir over low heat until the mixture is smooth. Switch off fire and leave sugar syrup to cool down.

2. Cut the mango from both cheeks. Cube the mango fresh. Slice the remaining mango and put in a bowl, add 1 cup of ( boiled n cooled) water and blend till smooth( I just mash the mango fresh ). Put aside.

3. Add the blended mango, cubed mango, pkt. mango juice and evaporated milk to the sugar syrup. Add in cooked sago and stir, if it is too thick, add either more water or evaporated milk. Put in the fridge to chill.

4. Serve it as cold dessert.

peony

My mother would cook sago like this...

Wash the sago in a large basin of water. Drain.

Boil water in a large saucepan, add sago a little a time, stirring after each addition to ensure that the sago does not stick together in lumps.

After all the sago has been added, let the water come to boil again and turn it to low heat stirring once or twice to keep the grains apart. Turn off the fire when the grains turn translucent.

Pour the mixture into a large sieve to drain off the water.

Put mixture into a large basin of cold water and stir with a spoon. Once again, drain all the water through a sieve.

Doddie aka Domestic Goddess

"Nobody loves pork more than a Filipino"

eGFoodblog: Adobo and Fried Chicken in Korea

The dark side... my own blog: A Box of Jalapenos

this is how I cook my sago. Do get the small , mini types. The large balls take forever to cook. Yes, the sago pearls are the dried balls.

Method:-

1) Fill a pot with enough water to cover sago pearls. Bring water to boil.

2) Pour sago ( not necessary to wash them ) into boiling water and stir continuously while cooking.

3) Boil on medium heat for 10 mintues.

4) Turn off the fire and place a cover over the pot. Let sago 'cook' in the pot for another 10 mintues.

5) Remove the cover and give sago a stir to check all had become transparent. If not, boil another few more minutes till sago are all transparent.

6) Pour sago over a sieve and rinse under cold water till cooled totally.

7) Drain, sago is ready for use.

peony

Peony you got me wanting that mango tang sui!!! :wub: I can't remember the last time I had that....maybe about 8 years ago back in the Philippines, when my chinese side of the family had a full course banquet at one of the more popular chinese restaurants. Also there's another tang sui made with taro pureed into the warm creamy soup with mini sago. There's also a refreshing cold one for the summer, made with pureed cantaloupe and milk, and with mini sago floaties. ahhhhh... maybe we can make this into a Tang Sui thread and have all the different types of tang sui recipes. :smile:

...a little bit of this, and a little bit of that....*slurp......^_^.....ehh I think more fish sauce.

I have a container of sago that I couldn't think how to use. This looks good. My granny used to make a delicious peach dessert with it and this looks similar.

here's some more " stuff " u can make with sago

172321617O471299560.jpg

sago pudding or gula melaka pudding

173884881O164740391.jpg

crystal cake

peony

Gula Melaka is the sugar from a coconut tree. When combined with coconut milk and poured over sago pudding makes a delicious dessert. If palm sugar is hard to find, molasses may be substituted."

Ingredients

200 gm Sago

Water, enough to cover sago

200 gm Gula Melaka

½ cup Water

Coconut milk / cream to serve

Method

1) Fill a pot with water and bring to boil.

2) Pour sago into boiling water and stir continuously while cooking.

3) Boil on medium heat for 20 mintues.

4) Turn the fire off and place a cover over the pot. Let sago 'cook' in the pot for another 10 mintues.

5) Remove the cover and give sago a stir to check all had become transparent.

6) Pour sago over a sieve and rinse under cold water till thoroughly cooled.

7) Scope sago and place into moulds / bowls. Keep chilled in fridge.

8) Chop gula melaka into pieces. Place in a pot with water and boil till dissolved. Leave to cool.

9) Serve sago pudding with cooled gula melaka syrup and coconut milk.

notes : do use the small sago pearls, the larger type takes forever to cook.

peony

Thanks very much Peony for the recipes. I just made the mango sago dessert tonight, and it was delicious! I replaced the milk with coconut milk as I'm not a big fan of cow milk in my Chinese "tong sui", and it works very well.

Next up: gula melaka sago pudding. It's great to see that this can be made with relative ease (at least the recipe indicates that). I once had this at a formal reception, and since then have been trying to replicate it, but failed terribly each time.

Looking forward (until when my stomach next has space)...

a lot of the bloggers had tried the mango sago / pomelo recipe. They are happy and I am glad you like it too, whitegold.

I too was a convert and make this quite often...the lady who gave us the recipes had other fabulous n wonderful recipes too.

peony

Bought some mangoes to make this but I've been too busy to divert from my packed schedule. So, on Sunday, we had a dim sum lunch and guess what we ordered? :raz:

Mango Pomelo

dragmangopomelocopy.jpg

Mango Cream with Sago

dragmangocream2.jpg

And...... :rolleyes:

Water chestnut with honeyed sea coconut

dragwatercnsc.jpg

Stewed Pear with lum hung (almond kernels)

dragpear.jpg

Almond Soya Curd with Longan

dragalmondlongan.jpg

Egg White Fluff with banana and red bean filling. YUM!!!

dragredbnbananafluff.jpg

Is my family scaringly sweet toothed? Yes, we did have some dim sums too.

Edited by Tepee (log)

TPcal!

Food Pix (plus others)

Please take pictures of all the food you get to try (and if you can, the food at the next tables)............................Dejah

Tepee! Do you have dentists in your family? :shock::laugh:

I'll be making mango pudding with pureed mango and evaporated milk as one of our desserts. Might just have to break down and do sago too. Hubby loves rice pudding, and that's one I don't make often. His mom and I always laughed about rice pudding. She would only eat rice in sweet pudding with raisins and cream, and I would only eat rice Chinese style.

ETA: I assume I can use small tapioca in place of sago if I can't get that in Bdn?

Edited by Dejah (log)

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

Mango Pomelo

Mango Cream with Sago

Water chestnut with honeyed sea coconut

Stewed Pear with lum hung (almond kernels)

Almond Soya Curd with Longan

Egg White Fluff with banana and red bean filling. YUM!!!

I am not a dessert person but these look very very good! I wonder what happened to all the Chinese chef who immigrated to the USA. I have never seen anything like what you showed offered in the US based Chinese dim-sum restaurants, with the exception of Mango Cream with Sago.

W.K. Leung ("Ah Leung") aka "hzrt8w"