• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dungeness crab now in season?

VivreManger

My brother recenly mentioned all you can eat crab fests that are offered in San Jose- he goes a few times a year during the season (I'll find out the facts and post them- I believe that it is done by an Italian American group)

Have you found out the details yet?

I am based in San Jose this winter, until early February, and this sounds about perfect.

• 2 weeks later...

I was just in San Francisco and thought I'd check out the S&P crab at R&G Lounge after the discussion here. I have to say I was really disappointed. Perhaps I should have given the dish more thought but it never occurred to me that I was ordering a deep fried shell-on crab. At any rate, I found the batter kind of pointless as it all comes off with the shell! After wrestling with a pile of greasy legs, I was left with what was essentially steamed crab, albeit now very greasy steamed crab. I didn't find it particularly flavorful either. Ended up wishing I had tried the ginger and scallion treatment, or better still just gone to Swan Oyster Depot, which is my usual stop for a crustacean fix. Next time...

I was dubious about deep-frying at R&G. In general I am not a fan of deep-fried Chinese food. That is why the crab preparations at PPQ Vietnamese Cuisine, and Thanh Long seemed more appealing.

In the end, I had no complaints about Swan's and I enjoyed discovering the Patisserie de Polk a few blocks down the street.

just heard a report on kqed radio yesterday concerning the early overfishing of dungeness crabs in the bay area- mostly from larger non local boats

subsequent flooding of the market

and *lots* of dead crabs being thrown out or not even making it off the boat before being thrown out

and how they may be harder to get as the season progresses because of all this

made me think of the lifeless looking crabs piled almost to the top of the tank in the ferry building

as I like my crabs to be moving around a bit

sorry for the bad news- big drag and such a pointless waste

can only hope it was overstated in the report

Glad to see all the posts about Swan Oyster Depot; sometimes simple is best.

I regret to say I shelled and dumped the meat of a dungeness into paella last Sunday. Paella was good but we should have just eaten the crab separate. Its sweetness just doesn't hold up to all that rice and saffron.

Good excuse to go find more before Christmas...

i can get live crab down the street from my house at about $3/lb.

yesterday we picked up 2 and had a mini feast; i made ginger scallion stir fry and she made boiled crab with filipino condiments. later i whipped up some crab fried rice.

i really love crab and can see a weekly crab feast happening while the season lasts.

i'll try and take some photos next time.

-chiel

just ate a load of crab cooked live at home from the fish market across from hog island in the ferry building- very alive and fighting

great dinner and some leftovers for omelettes in the morning

sorry for the bad news reporting but it matters- friends don't let friends waste crabs

eat up and happy holidays

We had our first-of-the-season crab last night. I bought it from Market Hall in Oakland (higher prices, but very convenient to BART). The guys there said it was caught in the Bay and they didn't know about the overfishing problem we seem to have had. It doesn't seem to be widely known in fact.

Anyway, we didn't quite finish, so tonight I'm making a risotto using a stock from the shell, the leftover crab meat (tossed in at the very end) and crab butter I made with leftovers last year.

Derrick Schneider

My blog: http://www.obsessionwithfood.com

You have to eat. You might as well enjoy it!

We had our first-of-the-season crab last night. I bought it from Market Hall in Oakland (higher prices, but very convenient to BART). The guys there said it was caught in the Bay and they didn't know about the overfishing problem we seem to have had. It doesn't seem to be widely known in fact.

Anyway, we didn't quite finish, so tonight I'm making a risotto using a stock from the shell, the leftover crab meat (tossed in at the very end) and crab butter I made with leftovers last year.

I had a great recipe for crab risotto, made with clam juice and saffron, but I cannot find it anywhere. Mmmm, risotto!

• 3 weeks later...

We had another "crab feast" of 5 crabs totalling over 12 lbs.

I made ginger scallion stir fry, garlic roasted, and boiled with hot garlic butter.

Everyones favorite was the ginger scallion, but they were all really good.

gallery_20257_607_1105674962.jpg

• 1 year later...

We visited PPQ Dungeness Island last Friday, and I have to say the "Dinner for Two" is one of the most decadent meals I've had in a while.

Starts out a bit slowly with a very tasty chicken and shredded cabbage salad and some Imperial Rolls.

Then they bring you a whole roasted crab and garlic noodles. Strap on the bib and get crackin'! Oh. My. Gosh. The combination of the sweet roasted crab meat, the cooking juices, and the garlic noodles is one of the richest and most delicious things I've had in quite some time.

If you like crab and garlic, I guarantee you will be licking your fingers before the night is over.

Dessert is banana fritters and coconut ice cream.

We're already plotting our return.

PS. Sorry, we forgot the camera!

---

Erik Ellestad

If the ocean was whiskey and I was a duck...

Bernal Heights, SF, CA

We visited PPQ Dungeness Island last Friday, and I have to say the "Dinner for Two" is one of the most decadent meals I've had in a while.

Erik, you didn't eat the entire "Dinner for Two" all by yourself, did you?? :blink:

We're already plotting our return.

PS.  Sorry, we forgot the camera!

Never mind. I had to read further to get my question answered. Mind you, I'm not saying that you can't eat the entire "Dinner for Two" all by yourself.

And next time, don't forget the camera, please!!

Russell J. Wong aka "rjwong"

Food and I, we go way back ...