• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dungeness crab now in season?

VivreManger

technically, i think the california season starts in a week (i haven't checked the regs, but it's usually just in time for thanksgiving). oregon and washington are shortly thereafter. i have been seeing LOTS of crabs, at very good prices, in live tanks in asian markets; i think they're alaskan.

technically, i think the california season starts in a week (i haven't checked the regs, but it's usually just in time for thanksgiving). oregon and washington are shortly thereafter. i have been seeing LOTS of crabs, at very good prices, in live tanks in asian markets; i think they're alaskan.

If they make there way eastward (usually cooked and frozen) how can I tell the difference between King Crab and Dungeness?

My foodie friend in SF says that "Crustacean, on Polk and California, is supposed to be legendary for their whole crab preparation." He also says Harbor Village used to be great, but they've gone way downhill. He went there a few years ago and was very disappointed. (I'm always suspect of undated glowing reviews posted on restaurant sites.)

If they make there way eastward (usually cooked and frozen)  how can I tell the difference between King Crab and Dungeness?

A quick search of google images shows King Crab vs. Dungeness

The Kings are really huge and you are usually served only 2-3 legs. The Dungeness are small and compact (1-1/2 to 2 lbs. each usually) and are typically served or sold whole. The Dungeness meat is notably sweeter and more delicious.

HTH,

Pam

Pamela Fanstill aka "PamelaF"

Season opens Monday 15 of november. First Crabs Bodega Bay Early afternoon. They are allowed to set the traps 18 hours before the season opens. Wash. and Or. already open I believe.

Bruce Frigard

Quality control Taster, Château D'Eau Winery

"Free time is the engine of ingenuity, creativity and innovation"

111,111,111 x 111,111,111 = 12,345,678,987,654,321

Thanh Long and Crustacean in San Francisco are two musts for bay area crab lovers. Just try the crab and garlic noodles at Crustacean and you'll see what I mean.

Are you sure about that? Despite all the press raves about their Dungeness crab & garlic noodles, I've heard from several people that Crustacean uses frozen dungeness crab(they don't like to admit it)!!

-Steve

Edited by SteveW (log)

Thanh Long and Crustacean in San Francisco are two musts for bay area crab lovers. Just try the crab and garlic noodles at Crustacean and you'll see what I mean.

Are you sure about that? Despite all the press raves about their Dungeness crab & garlic noodles, I've heard from several people that Crustacean uses frozen dungeness crab(they don't like to admit it)!!

-Steve

I don't know about Crustacean, but their "big sister" restaurant, Thanh Long, way out on Judah served me one of the best meals I have ever had. They are famous (or infamous) for their garlic noodles and roast crab. Here is my story. Edited by chaud-froid (log)

I have a recipe for a reasonable facsimile of this dish, if anyone wants to try it at home. I haven't eaten at Thanh Long since it was a dumpy little joint w/ formica tables & cheap crab. I understand it is nice now-and expensive-but I'm glad to see the crab is still terrific.

I know this is kind of off-topic, but since I was born in Baltimore, I can't help myself...what about blue crabs? Are there any places in CA that serve them (whole and steamed, not as bits of meat in crabcakes or soup)? How do native Californians feel about blue crabs versus Dungeness crabs?

I love all seafood but there is special place in my heart for steamed blue crabs, covered in Old Bay seasoning, piled up in a heap on a newspaper-covered table next to hammers and pitchers of beer...

Better go back east, we don't do Blue crab. I grew up there and I love it but your not gonna find it here. Dungeness crabs rule. :smile:

Bruce Frigard

Quality control Taster, Château D'Eau Winery

"Free time is the engine of ingenuity, creativity and innovation"

111,111,111 x 111,111,111 = 12,345,678,987,654,321

I grew up in N. CA (and my family for 6 generations). I love dungeness crab! My grandfather used to take me down to the pier (SF)- we would watch the crab cook, eat crab cocktail, and buy a couple of cooked crabs to go. Dungeness crab is found on the north west coast. My opinion is that king crab does not compare. I am happy to eat blue crab, soft shell crab, kona crab. and mud crab... but dungeness is my favorite. My brother recenly mentioned all you can eat crab fests that are offered in San Jose- he goes a few times a year during the season (I'll find out the facts and post them- I believe that it is done by an Italian American group)

I haven't been there myself, but for what it's worth most of the reports I've heard on Crustacean say that it's overrated and overpriced. However, Thanh Luong is supposed to be good, as is PPQ also out in the Sunset.

Personally, my favorite way to have dungeness crab is in the Chinese salt and pepper deep fried style, and R&G Lounge on Kearny at the edge of Chinatown is the best I've had. Can't wait to go back there now that crab season is back...

http://onlysf.sfvisitor.org/

November 20, 2004-March 19, 2005 (Selected dates)

Crab Feast On The Bay

Red and White Fleet, Pier 43 1/2, Fisherman's Wharf , Information: 800-229-2784

Make the most of crab season in San Francisco with an excursion on the bay and a feast of fresh crab. Red and White fleet cruises take feasters around the Golden Gate Bridge, the Marin Headlands, Fort Mason and more while Dungeness crab and San Francisco sourdough bread is on the menu. Crab feast cruises are November 20, December 18, January 15, February 19, and March 19. All cruises leave the dock at 12 noon. Reservations recommended.

February 1-28, 2005

3rd Annual San Francisco Crab Festival

The 3rd Annual San Francisco Crab Festival celebrates this most San Franciscan of foods. Come to Fisherman's Wharf for a variety of activities and events designed to delight the senses, including the Fun at the Cannery festival, a Fisherman's Wharf walk and plenty of fresh crab to eat.

The Crab & Wine Marketplace

The climax to the annual month-long festival in celebration of San Francisco’s Dungeness crab is the final weekend at the Crab & Wine Marketplace, featuring food, wine and entertainment. Highlights include gourmet crab specialities, fresh seafood and wine tastings, chef demonstrations, live music and performances, arts and crafts, and a children’s crab-themed recreation area.

Venue: Fort Mason Center; Date: Crab Festival: 1-28 February 2005;

Crab & Wine Marketplace: 26-27 February 2005; Time: 11am to 7pm;

(Note: the last URL is not yet updated for 2005.)

Personally, my favorite way to have dungeness crab is in the Chinese salt and pepper deep fried style, and R&G Lounge on Kearny at the edge of Chinatown is the best I've had.  Can't wait to go back there now that crab season is back...

Actually, I just remembered, the preparation that I really like at R&G is the ginger and scallion stir fried crab, not the salt and pepper deep fried one.

The SF Chronicle printed a recipe last January for pan-roasted salt & pepper crab with garlic noodles that my husband and I really liked. It was the first time either of us had ever dispatched a live crab, and the experience was, um... interesting. :blink:

Worth the excitement, though.

"The dinner table is the center for the teaching and practicing not just of table manners but of conversation, consideration, tolerance, family feeling, and just about all the other accomplishments of polite society except the minuet." - Judith Martin (Miss Manners)

I haven't been there myself, but for what it's worth most of the reports I've heard on Crustacean say that it's overrated and overpriced.  However, Thanh Luong is supposed to be good, as is PPQ also out in the Sunset.

Personally, my favorite way to have dungeness crab is in the Chinese salt and pepper deep fried style, and R&G Lounge on Kearny at the edge of Chinatown is the best I've had.  Can't wait to go back there now that crab season is back...

Does R&G prepare dungeness crab any way other than deep-fried?

Does R&G prepare dungeness crab any way other than deep-fried?

See my next post, the rendition I like is actually the stir fried crab with ginger and scallions.

Is Vancouver crab = Dungeness crab? Meaning is it the same thing?

-Steve

I think it's the same thing. Dungeness crab is caught all along the coast, including near Vancouver Island I think. In fact, I had Dungeness crab on Vancouver Island in July.

I love cold Dinty Moore beef stew. It is like dog food! And I am like a dog.

--NeroW

Actually, I just remembered, the preparation that I really like at R&G is the ginger and scallion stir fried crab, not the salt and pepper deep fried one.

Wrong again! This time I'm really sure, since I ate there on Saturday night. Their house specialty, and what I would recommend ordering, is the deep fried salt and pepper crab. They do also have a ginger and scallion version that's not deep fried, but I didn't like it as much. I have had a better rendition in other Chinese restaurants, but I cannot remember which ones at this point.

Hehe. Maybe you should try the ginger and scallion version again to make sure it's not even better than Saturday's deep fried salt and pepper version. You can never be too sure. :wink:

i think it's hard to go wrong right now with the crab season starting and all. fried crab w/ ginger and scallion is just oh so good. Actually, I like beef with ginger and scallion too (of course not deep fried).

I love ginger and scallion!

I love cold Dinty Moore beef stew. It is like dog food! And I am like a dog.

--NeroW

Hehe.  Maybe you should try the ginger and scallion version again to make sure it's not even better than Saturday's deep fried salt and pepper version.  You can never be too sure.

I did try both versions side by side at R&G on Saturday, and I definitely liked the salt and pepper version better. And one of my friends who was at dinner was the one who had done the ordering last time I had crab at R&G, and he confirmed that it was indeed the salt and pepper that we had. So I am sure this time. Really.