• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Wine for Thai food?

foodgeek

Gewurtztraminer. Alsatian please. Nice and spicy with good sweetness.

An off-dry Reisling Kabinett from the Mosel too will also work well.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

The German and Alsatian wines are the traditional recommendations with Asian foods, endorsed by virtually all the experts. But I'd also consider a nice, dry sparkling wine -- perhaps something from Oregon. In my tastings the sparklers have been even more versatile than the Germans and Alsatians.

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

Dunno about Oregon, but sparkling would work. Maybe a Reisling Sekt or a sparkling Weisserburgunder. Something very clean and not oakey.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

Quote: from Fat Guy on 8:00 pm on Oct. 26, 2001

But I'd also consider a nice, dry sparkling wine -- perhaps something from Oregon.

i've never met a food that doesn't go with a good sparkler.  of course i'm being a bit over the top.

and i agree, an alsacian white with thai is a good thing.  some think the acidity of new zealand SVs is too much for thai, but i also find that enjoyable.  of course, thai is a dynamic food, and one needs to match the coconut milk based dishes a bit differently than the citric and spicey salads and whatnot.

but really, fried chicken from KFC and a bottle of dry sparling wine is a fine fine sunday afternoon lunch.  there's something about that grease and champane combination.  yummy.