• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

DC Chinatown disaster

katabeta

I just got back from a restaurant where I had uncle ben's rice and "szechuan" pork whose dominant flavor was sugar. And it was $11. (Is this just a misconception of what people want in Chinese food, or is this what America wants? The answer might make me too sad.)

Sometimes I get dumplings at the place where they make noodles in the window (on 7th st?) but everything else there I've tried was an MSG disaster.

The Chinese places we go to in my hometown (exurban Central California) blow these out of the water.

Where do you eat in Chinatown, and what do you order?

Strengthen me with raisins,

refresh me with apples,

for I am faint with love.

it's hard for me to say, because i usually go with my dad, who knows everyone in china town and the chef or owner usually cooks for us. actually, he used to have a restaurant in chinatown, which i'm sure none of you remember. it was in the same building as burma and was called "hunan pizza."

it was an unmitigated disaster. holy crap you have no idea. see, my dad loves chinese food (he is chinese) and he loves italian food. so he though, why not combine the two? instead of partaking in the new wave of fusion cuisine, he just had separate sections of the menu for italian and chinese food. the pizzas were actually really good, and the northern chinese specialties were okay, but let's just say that no one was buying. i think it lasted less than a month.

anyhow, we usually go to tai shan or eat first. we often get, but this varies, cantonese chicken chow mein, beef chow foon and usually one of those whole steamed fish with black bean sauce and green onions and stuff.

Edited by jmc8y (log)

I wanna say something. I'm gonna put it out there; if you like it, you can take it, if you don't, send it right back. I want to be on you.

The 2 places I like in Chinatown are Eat First (roast duck chow foon is usually pretty good) and Full Kee, for the HK Noodle Soups and other noodle dishes.

DC's chinese food doesn't compare to NYC or California. The suburbs tend to be better - A&J (Annandale and Rockville), Bob's Noodle House (Rockville), and Fortune (7 Corners) among others.

The place they make the noodles in the window is Chinatown Express, on 6th. I've tried the shanghai soup dumplings there.... and it just makes me long for Joe's Shanghai in NYC.

I was born and raised in the DC metro area. I remember when I was a little girl, we'd trek down to Li Ho (It's been so long I barely remember the name...is it still even there?) but no more. It's a shame that our Chinatown is nothing more than an elaborate gate! For Chinese food, we save our stomachs for NYC.

DC"s Chinatown is pretty pathetic. :sad:

Have been to Eat First a number of times, usually pre or post Caps game. Always enjoy it.

Wasn't Full Kee closed for a bit and didn';t they relocate sometime in the not too distant (18 months) past?

they opened a new one in falls church, but the old one is still there.

I wanna say something. I'm gonna put it out there; if you like it, you can take it, if you don't, send it right back. I want to be on you.