• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Thanksgiving Day Wines

Rosie

I'm finally getting serious about shopping for Thanksgiving dinner but am at a loss about what wine would work with the turkey. In the past, we've lived close to family members who would always bring any old red wine and we just drank that and liked it (or not...). But now that we're in Canada (but celebrating US Thanksgiving because that's when our son gets a school break) we'll be providing the wine.

Suggestions gratefully accepted.

American Holiday...American Wine.

Finger Lakes Riesling for me.

~Martin :)

I just don't want to look back and think "I could have eaten that."

Unsupervised, rebellious, radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, and adventurous cook. Crotchety, cantankerous, terse curmudgeon, non-conformist, and contrarian who questions everything!

The best thing about a vegetable garden is all the meat you can hunt and trap out of it!

For a Thanksgiving meal, I like to pair with an off-dry riesling or gewurztraminer. Those wines go well with turkey, stuffing, and the different sides. They seem more appealing for people who aren't much for wine drinking, also.

If you can get hold of this wine on short notice, I can also recommend 2012 Chateau Pegau Cotes du Rhone Blanc ‘Cuvee Lone’. My long-time wine vendor offered an email discount and tasting at his store yesterday. By the time I wandered in at mid-afternoon, they were almost sold out. People had been coming in, tasting, and buying a few bottles--or more. I bought a couple bottles myself.

This is a white Cotes-du-Rhone, the first vintage from an old vines vineyard bought and restored by a well-known Chateauneuf-du-Pape winemaker. It's crisp, fresh, very well-balanced, with a superb aroma and nice finish, too. Good fruit, with more depth than most white wines of this type. Meant to be drunk young, within a year. I expect it to be very food-friendly with a variety of foods, and the price is right, about $20 per bottle. This one could be a comer for the value wine market.

The wine is a blend of grapes with a funky reputation: Clairette , Bourboulenc, Grenache Blanc and Ugni Blanc. I said to my vendor, "Aren't those the grapes people usually throw away?" :laugh: This wine is real good, though, which proves that there is really no bad wine grape, it all depends on what you do with it.

ChateauPegau_3236.jpg

Riesling, yes, or Beaujolais Nouveau are both possible. Unfortunately, the Ontario Liquor Board doesn't carry the Pegau (which sounds delicious!) nor the Finger Lakes rieslings. (This is one area where I REALLY miss the States -- you just can't get some wines/spirits here.)

I happen to really like Riesling but maybe I'll pick up some Beaujolais for the red lovers.

Thanks bunches, all.

• 11 months later...

Hello-As usual, I'm looking forward to this year's Beaujolais Nouveau for Thanksgiving.

"As life's pleasures go, food is second only to sex.Except for salami and eggs...Now that's better than sex, but only if the salami is thickly sliced"--Alan King (1927-2004)