• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The greatest cuisines in history ...

The initial question I posed was in reference to currently "living" cuisines ... :hmmm:

That's not immediately apparent, given the title of the thread...

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

It will not be on the list, but I'll give a holler in support of Austro-Hungarian cuisine as an important, if not neglected, distinct cuisine---blending the best of Austria, Hungary, Germany, Czechslovakia, Yugoslavia, Northern Italy, and more...

Wonderful pastries, cookies, strudels and tortes, Viennes coffee, fruit fritters, sausages and cured meats, roasted pork, sweet and savory dumplings, noodles and pasta, rye breads and white rolls, goulashes, schnitzel, crepes, soups and soup garnishes, potato a myriad of ways, wild mushroom and chestnut dishes, eau de vie, beer, wine.

A short list of some of the typical and more distinctive ingredients:

poppyseeds, rum, vanilla sugar, raisins, lemon, coffee, walnuts, almonds, hazelnuts, chocolate, chestnuts, farmer's cheese, apples, cherries, apricots and apricot jam, plums, gooseberries, wild strawberries, red currants and red currant jam, lignon berries (prieselbeeren), elderberry blossoms, pears, honey, whipped cream

asparagus, green beans, peas, green and red peppers, pumpkin, cauliflower, potatoes, green and red cabbage, beets, tomatoes, cucumber, spinach, radishes

paprika, anchovies, juniper berries, capers, mustard, garlic, horseradish, vinegar, marjoram, parsley, sour cream, caraway seeds, buckwheat flour, sweetbreads, tongue, liver and all 'variety' meats, trout, pork including cracklings, speck, ham and bacon, veal and beef, chicken, goose liver, chanterelles and porcini mushrooms, pumpkin seed oil, pickles, sauerkraut, hungarian salami, liverwurst

Edited by ludja (log)

"Under the dusty almond trees, ... stalls were set up which sold banana liquor, rolls, blood puddings, chopped fried meat, meat pies, sausage, yucca breads, crullers, buns, corn breads, puff pastes, longanizas, tripes, coconut nougats, rum toddies, along with all sorts of trifles, gewgaws, trinkets, and knickknacks, and cockfights and lottery tickets."

-- Gabriel Garcia Marquez, 1962 "Big Mama's Funeral"

Don't forget uborkasalata (that's Magyarul [Hungarian] for cucumber salad).  :wub:

That's quite a fun word to say. :raz: I need to try and remember that!

And I agree, cucumber salad or gurkinsalat is a great accompaniement to many dishes

"Under the dusty almond trees, ... stalls were set up which sold banana liquor, rolls, blood puddings, chopped fried meat, meat pies, sausage, yucca breads, crullers, buns, corn breads, puff pastes, longanizas, tripes, coconut nougats, rum toddies, along with all sorts of trifles, gewgaws, trinkets, and knickknacks, and cockfights and lottery tickets."

-- Gabriel Garcia Marquez, 1962 "Big Mama's Funeral"

GG,

In the old days, to find the 'great' cuisines was no more complicated than following where the 'great' religions were most influential. One pretty much followed the other and early pilgrimages were the first examples of culinary tourism. Pagan food, for whatever reason, played strictly second fiddle, perhaps best exemplified by Nero.

The Druids, you'll recall, were quite unimaginative cooks too. Although they sacrificed a lot to advance the culinary arts, Cradawg tasted pretty much like Torsdan.

This thesis can be further tested by examining British cuisine, which collapsed at the end of the reign of Henry VIIIth (by comparison, his daughter was unconscionably thin), and only began to recover when Terence Conran was (momentarily) elevated to sainthood just a decade ago. About the same time, American cuisine began to be taken more seriously on the international stage when the roles between church and state became more muddied. Now, arguably, it's a world beater.

Conversely, during the communist regimes in the Soviet bloc, when religious practices were banned throughout the original Borscht Belt the food was dreadful and I'm being polite. Likewise Greek cuisine. As the influence of Zeus and his coterie waned, the green pepper (surely the Kelly Bundy of all fruits), waxed. At least at my supermarket.

More recently, agnosticism-creep has complicated this rating system. That's why many people who really ought to be in church are now found at Sunday farmer's markets. Likewise, maybe this explains why the same demographic cohort now relies on the Zagat guide as their new bible.

Keep the faith,

Jamie

Edited by jamiemaw (log)

from the thinly veneered desk of:

Jamie Maw

Food Editor

Vancouver magazine

www.vancouvermagazine.com

Foodblog: In the Belly of the Feast - Eating BC

"Profumo profondo della mia carne"

and from you, and you alone, jamiemaw, I somehow knew I would get a clear, well analyzed, historical perspective.

I am in your debt for your insight and witty perceptions (i.e. the comments in the final two paragraphs of your post). To wit:

the food was dreadful and I'm being polite
and
this explains why the same demographic cohort now relies on the Zagat guide as their new bible.

Ah, to have such a way with the language ... I long for as much myself!

Melissa Goodman aka "Gifted Gourmet"