• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Whipped Cream

hillvalley

My sister always wants real whipped cream for Thanksgiving. This year my mother finally gave in.

For a variety of reasons it will have to be made Tuesday night and then transported (in a cooler) on Wednesday. Is this feasible or will the cream dewhip in two days? What if we overwhip it a bit?

Or does she need to suck it up and use my organic whipped cream out of can that is actually not too bad?

True Heroism is remarkably sober, very undramatic.

It is not the urge to surpass all others at whatever cost,

but the urge to serve others at whatever cost. -Arthur Ashe

For a variety of reasons it will have to be made Tuesday night and then transported (in a cooler) on Wednesday.  Is this feasible or will the cream dewhip in two days?  What if we overwhip it a bit? 

the cream will dewhip in two days, no question. overwhipping will not help---it will just make butter.

but if you have access to a cooler, can you stick a whisk and bowl in there? or in the glove box, or ??? it takes about 2 minutes to whip cream by hand, assuming you are using it for garnish and don't need 2 gallons.

"Laughter is brightest where food is best."

www.chezcherie.com

Author of The I Love Trader Joe's Cookbook ,The I Love Trader Joe's Party Cookbook and The I Love Trader Joe's Around the World Cookbook

Wull if you overwhip it a bit you will be taking butter to your dinner.

This is very do-able but you could actually stabilize it with some gelatin or piping gel. I could get you some recipes if you want.

I mean why can't you just take a whip and a bowl & whip it on Thursday - this is by far the easiest method. Just whip it by hand Thursday??? Doesn't take long at all.

overwhipping will not help---it will just make butter.

You write that like it's a bad thing. :laugh:

Luv homemade buttah!

Why not buy a whipped cream dispenser and N2O charger and you can have whipped cream on demand in a matter of seconds. Or is that what you're talking about when you say "organic whipped cream out of can."

Drink!

I refuse to spend my life worrying about what I eat. There is no pleasure worth forgoing just for an extra three years in the geriatric ward. --John Mortimera

Will someone please call my mother and tell her I was right, on both the overwhipping and the fact it would not last :smile:

I know this sound absurd because it is just a bowl and a whisk, but we don't have any room for extra supplies. My family goes to the beach for Thanksgiving and we have to bring any utensil or supply we need. Even with a mid-sized car there are always things that don't make it down because of space. My mother literally has the turkey (in a cooler) on her lap for the trip down. The premade whipped cream was an option because she thought she could put it in a ziplock back, wrap it in foil and put it in the cooler with the turkey.

My sister is just going to either a) put the bowl on her head and let it stay there on the way down (her lap will already be full) b) be happy with my canned stuff from Whole Foods.

True Heroism is remarkably sober, very undramatic.

It is not the urge to surpass all others at whatever cost,

but the urge to serve others at whatever cost. -Arthur Ashe

http://www.baking911.com/recipe_other_stab...ipped_cream.htm

This will take you to a recipe to stabilize the whipped cream with gelatin - this stuff lasts forever in the frige and I'm not sure about stuffing it in a zip loc but it will last for days.

Or or or you could also use ummm 1 cup of cream and two tablespoons of confectioners sugar - whip to soft peaks - add 2 tablespoons of piping gel and if you want add some vanilla - whip to firm stage - this lasts great and it still is whipped creamy - melts in your mouth right to the hips. :rolleyes:

What's your Mom's number??? :biggrin:

edited to say: the second recipe is the one I use that has lasted for days & days - doesn't weep and the first recipe I included just in case piping gel is not an option for you - I would think that adding the confectioners' sugar to it would reduce chances of weeping anyway.

Edited by K8memphis (log)

My sister is just going to either a) put the bowl on her head and let it stay there on the way down... (

i was actually going to suggest that someone could wear the bowl, if space was tight....and the sister seems the perfect candidate.

now, about that whisk.... :huh::blink:

"Laughter is brightest where food is best."

www.chezcherie.com

Author of The I Love Trader Joe's Cookbook ,The I Love Trader Joe's Party Cookbook and The I Love Trader Joe's Around the World Cookbook

FWIW, I've made whipped cream with gelatin plenty of times. In my experience, it starts to weep after about 24-36 hours. Granted, I was making it on the job where it was constantly pulled in and out of the fridge, but still. Weepy whipped cream = no fun. Plus I can taste gelatin in it sometimes, which is also no fun.

FWIW, I've made whipped cream with gelatin plenty of times. In my experience, it starts to weep after about 24-36 hours. Granted, I was making it on the job where it was constantly pulled in and out of the fridge, but still. Weepy whipped cream = no fun. Plus I can taste gelatin in it sometimes, which is also no fun.

I edited my post - I hate to bloom gelatin it's so easy for me to screw it up - the second recipe is the one I use with no weeping and no problem-o. Umm what's FWIW mean??

does she need to suck it up and use my organic whipped cream out of can that is actually not too bad?

With all the constraints you've mentioned, and given the usual stress of the holiday weekend situation, I would opt for the canned whip cream.

I remember buying whipping cream at the last minute at a Costco on a holiday weekend.

They were out of canned cream, and they had a lot of bewildered customers who could not deal with the cartons of whipping cream available. How frustrating!

Wull, I ran a test on the recipe I posted above, the second one up there with the piping gel and it lasted perfectly in the freezer - I tested like a week-ish. That's the longest I'd be holding it.

Of course how the cake is wrapped is a major factor and the dedication of the freezer I mean if the cake is right next to the ice, y'know a coupla few days - if it's in a rarely disturbed deep freeze - y'know probably a coupla weeks maybe more. But part of the charm of whipped cream is it's flash in the pan highly perishable quality.

I use this as a filling - if I were to use it as an icing for a cake I would figure out how to do it more last minute within a coupla days - but it would probably last longer.

Even if it was just plain whipped cream without the piping gel & stuff - if it was wrapped properly & kept well frozen it could last quite a while.

Plus if it was not wrapped like Fort Knox - it will pick up every stray freezer 'aroma' in a nano-second.

I make and use whipped cream constantly at work and I don't find it to be nearly as fragile as most people suggest. I don't find it to be fragile at all. When frosting cakes I can get a perfectly smooth surface using whipped cream quicker and easier then using buttercream. The only place it's "difficult" is piping out small or thin designs-that's not easy.

But there are a couple factors that can make all the difference. For example I've gotten some ultra pasturized heavy cream that will not whip, period. Oh you can get it fluffy-but if you attempt to continue beating until it's stiff it turns into a puddle as if broken and no further whipping will revitalize it. This isn't a blanket fact for all ultra-pasturized heavy creams...........just some brands, and I suppose they vary. In my area it's the ultra pasturized by Kemp's that won't whip. There are also brands of heavy cream that do not contain enough butter fat so they don't whip stiffly/correctly either. They just barely cross the line from cream to heavy cream and as you all know regular cream doesn't whip stiff.

Another factor is many people stop short of "stiff' and just go until it's fluffy. If you underwhip it to 'fluffy' it will melt-out and not hold shape far quicker then if you had taken it to 'stiff'..

But the vast majority of the time, whipped cream will remain whipped for days when held in the cooler. I place whip cream frosted cakes on room temp. buffets and it lasts for several hours (usually about 4 hours) before bleeding down. I frost cakes with whipped cream and hold them for 2 or 3 days in the cooler with-out problem. I also use it on petite fours stored in the freezer. It does become more fragile after it's been frozen then if left in the cooler, so don't be over zealous in it's use. But it can be frozen very successfully. Some people think it tastes slightly soured after it's been frozen..........I agree that it does slightly change it's taste.

I personally haven't found a stablizer for whipped cream that was worth using. I've never seen one extend the shelf life of properly whipped cream!! If you ever experiment with and with-out stablizers I believe you'll agree with my opinion.

You could bring a tupperware half-full of unwhipped cream (plus sugar, vanilla, etc.) and then shake it vigorously to whip it into whipped cream.

Sorry, "shaking" cream is the way we made butter in grade school. It needs to be whipped to incorporate the air.

Actually, if you don't have too many people (so you don't need too much whipped cream), you could use a fork. I've done that in a pinch, in a soup bowl at the place we were staying. Took a little longer, but made fine whipped cream for our dessert.

“"When you wake up in the morning, Pooh," said Piglet at last, "what's the first thing you say to yourself?"

"What's for breakfast?" said Pooh. "What do you say, Piglet?"

"I say, I wonder what's going to happen exciting today?" said Piglet.

Pooh nodded thoughtfully.

"It's the same thing," he said.”

You could bring a tupperware half-full of unwhipped cream (plus sugar, vanilla, etc.) and then shake it vigorously to whip it into whipped cream.

Sorry, "shaking" cream is the way we made butter in grade school. It needs to be whipped to incorporate the air.

Actually, if you don't have too many people (so you don't need too much whipped cream), you could use a fork. I've done that in a pinch, in a soup bowl at the place we were staying. Took a little longer, but made fine whipped cream for our dessert.

I've done it before in a pinch. It's not ideal, but it's definitely closer to whipped cream than butter. As long as you don't fill the container more than halfway, you do incorporate some air.

allison

If you whip cream properly- starting on low and gradually increasing intensity until thick- then add the sugar and finish. Your cream should last over two days ( no need for stabilizers or gelatin. Most people whip it franticly, without stabilizing the fat. It should never splatter; gradually bring it to where the fat is stable, and then sweeten with superfine sugar, etc... Actually, 36% cream will prbably last 3 days (but it would taste like where ever it was stored- fat picks up EVERYTHING).

• 2 years later...
My sister always wants real whipped cream for Thanksgiving.  This year my mother finally gave in.

For a variety of reasons it will have to be made Tuesday night and then transported (in a cooler) on Wednesday.  Is this feasible or will the cream dewhip in two days?  What if we overwhip it a bit? 

Or does she need to suck it up and use my organic whipped cream out of can that is actually not too bad?

Um, I don't know what you people have been using, but I make handmade (okay.. well stand mixer-made) whipped cream all the time and it keeps perfectly in the fridge for days... and days. You're probably not whipping it enough. Also, if you can whip it into butter by hand, you're spending way too much time whipping it. I've overwhipped in my mixer and it still didn't separate into butter.

I've never eaten a Hot Pocket and thought "I'm glad I ate that."

Um, I don't know what you people have been using, but I make handmade (okay.. well stand mixer-made) whipped cream all the time and it keeps perfectly in the fridge for days... and days...

Ditto.

There's nothing better than a good friend, except a good friend with CHOCOLATE.

...Also, if you can whip it into butter by hand, you're spending way too much time whipping it. I've overwhipped in my mixer and it still didn't separate into butter.

Yes... Even in the food processor it can take 4-5 minutes for the cream to separate into actual butter and whey. You can't whip cream into butter without putting in some serious effort far beyond what is needed to make whipped cream. And I would argue that you can't really do it with your average whisk and bowl setup without the aid of performance enhancing drugs.