• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Rum in New York?

Rene

Within 2 weeks I will visit NY for the first time. I will stay there for a week. Are there places of interest for Rum lovers? Historic buildings, museums, etc. I am looking for anything that has got to do with Rum. I'm also looking for a great shop with great Rums.

I'm there for FestUSA. When I'm back I will place something about it on my website. For that I will keep you informed.

The more information, the better.

Rene van Hoven

www.Rumpages.com

New York has several good shops where you can buy a number of rums, whiskeys etc.. Park Avenue liquors is one. In the coming days I'll add a few more Manhattan shops. As for history, there were over a dozen distilleries in New England making rum from molasses from the Caribbean when the constitution was signed. And anyone reseraching rum should visit Boston where a million gallon molasses tank broke and drowned a few people in the black sticky liquid.

Edward Hamilton

Ministry of Rum.com

The Complete Guide to Rum

When I dream up a better job, I'll take it.

My favourite Rum shops in New York are:

- Astor Wines and Liquors (Astor Place)

- The discount liquor store on Broadway at 7th Street (the name escapes me). It's around the corner from Astor

- Beekman Liquors (Lexington / 47th street)

You will also find a good selection of rums at the Asia da Cuba restaurant and bar

- The discount liquor store on Broadway at 7th Street (the name escapes me).  It's around the corner from Astor

Indeed, but not at 7th St., which doesn't exist at Broadway, but near Waverly Place.

Michael aka "Pan"

As for history, there were over a dozen distilleries in New England making rum from molasses from the Caribbean when the constitution was signed.

This was known as the "Slave Triangle": Ships made runs across the Atlantic, exchanging one product for another: Slaves from Africa were carried to the Carribean, where the slaves were sold and cane sugar/molasses was purchased. The sugars were carried to the American Colonies (and later, to the US), where it was processed into rum.........which in turn was carried to Africa and exchanged for more slaves.

I don't think any of the original distilleries are still standing, but the NYC historical society ought to be able to locate where they were.

I'm a canning clean freak because there's no sorry large enough to cover the, "Oops! I gave you botulism" regrets.

You will also find a good selection of rums at the Asia da Cuba restaurant and bar

And the bar at WD-50 as well.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

• 2 weeks later...

I just came back from NY. Great city.

I tried some of the mentioned shops. I did not buy anything, but still got some bottles with me back to Europe.

Today I start writing my FestUSA story. ASAP I will place it on my site. When I doe, I will notify you all here.

The more information, the better.

Rene van Hoven

www.Rumpages.com

In addition to a number of good rums that have been tasted at other rum fests, there were a few pleasant new surprises at the lastest Rum Fest.

Barcelo is now importing their Anejo, Gran Anejo and Imperial rums. Barcelo has been on my list of favorites for years so I'm glad to see all three of these rums coming to the US, though the labels on the Gran Anejo and Anejo still need a little work.

Phil Prichard has been busy in Tennessee making some interesting flavored rums, including a cranberry rum that was fantastic with a squeeze of lime.

Noa Noa vanilla rums from Tahiti are going to be available soon.

El Dorado rums is now making a Demerara Rum Cream, if you've been craving Sangster's Jamaican Rum Cream, and haven't been to the land of Jah recently, take a look at Demerara's Rum Cream.

And if you're on the left coast, don't depair, Rum Fest is coming to San Diego the first Friday in March. And there will be some new rums there. And I'll see you there. I wouldn't miss it.

Edward Hamilton

Ministry of Rum.com

The labels of the Barcelo are under construction at this moment. Within a few months we all can see the new presentation.

While we wait for new labels, actually the present ones are as bad as one might think, but the good news is that the rum is of the same quality as I enjoy in the islands. If you find the Barcelo rums, give them a try, I think you'll be glad you did.

Edward Hamilton

Ministry of Rum.com

• 2 weeks later...

I'm in New York, and one of my New Year's resolutions is to try a really delicious, aged rum (but why wait till New Year's?) I'm a rum neophyte, so the plan is to go to a bar (WD-50?) and buy it by the glass...Any recommendations of what to order first?

I don't know what is available at WD 50, I didn't make it there during my last trip, but here's a short list of rums to look for. And there are others . . . happy sipping.

Zacapa Centenario

English Harbour Extra Old

Santa Teresa Antiquo de Solero 1796

Cruzan Estate Diamond

Diplomatico

Pampero Anniversario

Edward Hamilton

Ministry of Rum.com

• 2 weeks later...