• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Wine For Every Day and Every Occasion

rlm

I previously read Dorothy J. Gaither and John Brecher's charming, "Love By the Glass," so when I saw their new collection on the shelves, "Wine For Every Day and Every Occasion," I had to buy it. I don't subscribe to the Wall Street Journal so I am not able to read their Tastings column unless I happen to buy a newsstand copy for expressly that purpose. Just curious what others have thought of their books and/or their column.

An aside:

Unbeknownst to me when I purchased it, one of the stories in the book features the father of one of my best friends from college. I had just stayed at her father Brandon's bed and breakfast that he purchased with his new bride in Colorado about a week before I bought the book. I turned to page 161 and there was a story about Krista and Brandon Caldwell of Los Angeles and the wine they enjoyed the day after their wedding in the Grand Canyon. I almost fell out of my chair.

Egullet-friendly link to the book:

Wine For Every Day and Every Occasion

“When I was dating and the wine list was presented to my male companion, I tried to ignore this unfortunate faux pas. But this practice still goes on…Closing note to all servers and sommeliers: please include women in wine selection. Okay?”--Alpana Singh, M.S.-"Alpana Pours"