• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Using Up Old Wine

ahr

Two friends who share a case of 1982 Chateau Lafite Rothschild and a case of 1982 Chateau Figeac are about to remove their wine from storage. One intends to sell his bottles, but the sensible one is looking for suggestions as how best to consume the precious liquids, especially that first bottle. Take it to a special restaurant? (But which?) Prepare an extravagant meal? (But what?) Simply sip it by the fire with a bit of bread and cheese?

Suggestions are solicited herewith. No prize will be awarded. "Invite me over" does not count as a suggestion; neither does "Give it here."

(Edited by ahr at 11:46 pm on Sep. 4, 2001)

"To Serve Man"

-- Favorite Twilight Zone cookbook

invite me over and then give it here.  does that count?  i mean, i suggested both.

i'll certainly go on record and say that i don't cellar wines, as i don't have a proper storage facility, but if i have 12 or 6 bottles on my hands, and it's good to go, i'll certainly share it with my wife on a special night with a nice homemade dinner, or with understanding friends who will appreciate that it's good, or vinegar at the end of the day.  once you see what it's all about, the decision becomes much easier of where to drink the rest, assuming all bottles are created equally.

with that said, there's nothing quite like a nice meal at home with 2 or 4 others for that first bottle...with, of course, a couple of trusty backups, in the case that the wine really isn't what you were hoping.

me:  "this stuff is going to be *great*"

guests:  "mmm, yum, tastes like crap."

me: "good thing i've got that 98 zin on hand!"

Who needs an excuse or reason to drink good wine? Just drink it!

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

That is a rough problem to have, I wish I was in your shoes.

The classic food pairing is roasted meats, like lamb or beef, medium rare.  

I had a great early 1970s vintage burgandy (thank you Uncle Charles) with my Thanksgiving turkey last year and it was a great match.

Outside of serving a delicate fish, you almost can not go wrong.  Good friends, a corkscrew and enjoy.

Quote: from NewYorkTexan on 9:47 am on Sep. 5, 2001

That is a rough problem to have, I wish I was in your shoes

Regrettably, I'm not wearing them; I'm on the outside, trying to cadge an invitation. My '82s will be in storage for few more years.

"To Serve Man"

-- Favorite Twilight Zone cookbook

• 4 weeks later...

"One intends to sell his bottles, but the sensible one is looking for suggestions as how best to consume the precious liquids, especially that first bottle."

Actually the one who intends to sell his Lafite is the sensible one!  Better to do this while there is still a big demand and before the market turns south.

The one who intends to drink his Lafite runs the risk of major disappointment. It's too early to drink the '82's!!! Another 10 years at least for the Lafite  

That said, the Figeac should be lovely just about now....

If you're in the UK, I know someone who will gladly unload your Lafite :-) for the right price...