• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Strange Fruit

tsquare

i've got no guesses and nothing to contribute. except this thread is why i still am addicted to this site. wonderful learned people from at least three countries contributing.

Thanks for the feedback - yes, I knew I could count on the participants of this site to solve the mystery.

Funny thing Russ - my brother brought me a copy of the LA Times Thanksgiving section with your fun take on who you'd like to cook the holiday meal - and he was surprised that I knew who you were (and impressed that we get to chat with you!)

Ciao,

I'VE GOT A NEW FRUIT TO IDENTIFY HERE...

This bush is said to grow at the house of the parents of my chefs wife. The fruits are small - about the size of marbels - the unripe ones are still firm to the touch - the ripe fruits are extremely musshy (maybe over ripe!) The flavor is sweet/acidic and did not attract me for a second taste - IMHO it looks much better then it tastes.

What do you think (or KNOW) it is!?!

gallery_19487_64_1102466680.jpg

A very close up shot!

gallery_19487_64_1102466377.jpg

Another view - further a way - but still up close!

Ciao,

Ore

tsquare, you are so lucky! www.onegreenworld.com is a fabulous nursery in Molalla, or Forest Grove, Oregon. They specialize in unique fruit species, and I just received their new catalogue yesterday. They sell 3 different medlars, and I have been intrigued by them because they are hardy to Zone 4 (-25*). They're right in your neck of the woods, aren't they?

Ciao,

I'VE GOT A NEW FRUIT TO IDENTIFY HERE...

This bush is said to grow at the house of the parents of my chefs wife.  The fruits are small - about the size of marbels - the unripe ones are still firm to the touch - the ripe fruits are extremely musshy (maybe over ripe!)  The flavor is sweet/acidic and did not attract me for a second taste - IMHO it looks much better then it tastes.

Ore,

that's corbezzolo, or strawberry tree, there are a few links to pictures of the fruit in the beginning posts of this thread.

I bet they look better than they taste, that#s where their Latin name comes from: Arbutus unedo, where unedo means "(I) only eat one", since their looks push you to taste the fruits, but once you've had one it's more than enough :biggrin: .

Il Forno: eating, drinking, baking... mostly side effect free. Italian food from an Italian kitchen.

They do make amazing honey though. Similar to Tasmanian Leatherwood (not related), both are excellent in crepes with some fresh ricotta.

Definitely, incredibly good and slightly bitter honey; I think it matches well with aged sheep milk.

It's perfect with Sardinian Seadas, fried dumplings filled of extremely fresh pecorino cheese, although some people prefer sugar syrup or orange blossom honey.

Il Forno: eating, drinking, baking... mostly side effect free. Italian food from an Italian kitchen.