• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Eating DC Beyond Ben's Chili Bowl

Holly Moore

I'd be happy to come along for the ride, time permitting. And perhaps there are other local eGullet-types who would be curious to see what a foreign eGullet-type looks like.  :blink:

As long as Holly brings the necessary papers and passport he should do fine. Although do we really want just Al representing us? :wink:

Fried oysters, steamed shrimp, and homemade caramel cake from Maine Avenue Seafood at the waterfront fish market is the best down-home greasy spoon DC meal in my book.

Hot dog wise - the half smokes at Eastern Market definitely do Washington proud.

I second both of these recommendations. Market lunch at the Eastern Market is the best brunch in town. Make sure to check out the blueberry pancakes. You'll have to come back in the summer though, to try out the crabcakes.

Puchina is right. Maine Avenue is as greasy as it gets. I'd also suggest a plate or two of oysters although they probably aren't from around here. Keep in mind that at this time of year it is car eating since the market is all outdoors. That is unless you like picnicing in 40 degree weather.

just got back from Eastern Market and was thinking "why didn't anyone suggest the Market Lunch" and saw that HV beat me to the punch. Also stopped by the DC Farmers market -- part of the vast wholesale warehouse food conglomeration between Florida and New York Avenues which is well worth exploring in its own right -- and noticed a couple of likely looking soul food stands set up amongst the butchers and produce vendors. Annie's Sweet Potato Pie is the name that sticks in mind. The market is a large white brick building on Neal Place between 5th and 6th, towards the north side of the complex.

The pupuseria is Pupuseria San Miguel, it's on the 3100 block of Mt. Pleasant. Half a block down, on Mt. Pleasant and Irving is Ercilia's, run by a Salvadoran woman who makes a fine tamale.

Edited by Busboy (log)

I'm on the pavement

Thinking about the government.

just got back from Eastern Market and was thinking "why didn't anyone suggest the Market Lunch" and saw that HV beat me to the punch.  Also stopped by the DC Farmers market -- part of the vast wholesale warehouse food conglomeration between Florida and New York Avenues which is well worth exploring in its own right -- and noticed a couple of likely looking soul food stands set up amongst the butchers and produce vendors. Annie's Sweet Potato Pie is the name that sticks in mind. The market is a large white brick building on Neal Place between 5th and 6th, towards the north side of the complex.

Once again great minds think alike. Is the Fla. market open on Sundays? I think their hours on the weekends are pretty limited. At least Literi's are. (If you weren't coming from Philly I'd send you there too, but that would be like telling you to skip Delsandro's and come down here to Philadelphia Mikes.)

True Heroism is remarkably sober, very undramatic.

It is not the urge to surpass all others at whatever cost,

but the urge to serve others at whatever cost. -Arthur Ashe

Wow. Just printed this out to take with me. 10 pages. Thanks. Who needs CitySearch.

Slight change. Starting off with Jerry's for a crab bomb and will take it from there.

Keep them ideas coming though. I'll be checking in from DC

Holly Moore

"I eat, therefore I am."

HollyEats.Com

Twitter

if you stay through Monday, hit the Greek Deli downtown--1120 19th street. if you're near the lunch hour, it's the joint with the line heading out to the street. homestyle & good & greasy & good. (get the moussaka--it's enough for a couple more meals.)

definitely eastern market.

I had the "Big City Red" chili dogs at Tonic in Mount Pleasant a few weeks ago, and found them to be quite tasty. And you get real tater tots along side them, instead of boring french fries.

Love,

Mr. Roger Troutman, who enjoys food and beverages.

CHAIR, INTERNATIONAL DINING RESEARCH INSTITUTE

WASHINGTON, D.C.

Fried oysters, steamed shrimp, and homemade caramel cake from Maine Avenue Seafood at the waterfront fish market is the best down-home greasy spoon DC meal in my book.

I think this is the best idea yet, and the slice of local color you're looking for, Holly. I don't think it's exceptionally good, but it's certainly fun and very DC.

the crabcake sandwich at eastern market-good anytime of the year and always on my "place to take visiting friends to lunch." you can walk across the street to tunnicliffs to get a beverage, if so inclined. five guys in old town is located on fayette street. i'd go there after you stop at maine ave fish market for gut-bomb seafood. from five guys you can progress to either hard times chili on king street or southside 815 on south washington street. i would also suggest having a pack of zantac at the ready and a cab ride back to your hotel. (note- a few years ago this was about my official sunday hangover tour of d.c./ old town) you could easily spend twelve hours doing nothing but eating greasy food and drinking beer!

Edited by mighty quinn (log)

"Ham isn't heroin..." Morgan Spurlock from "Supersize Me"

I think he already came and went.

So Holly-- what did you end up doing?

I came, I ate, I went home.

I shall return.

Will get some pics and comments up soon. A short preview. Phooey to all those who tried to lower my expectations for Ben's Chili Bowl. Thanks to Don R. for introducing me to the wonderful Colorado Kitchen. Five Guys was OK but not what I had hoped for. And 10 oz of crab is a lot of crab, but mighty good eating. And my timing could have been better in that the Florida Ave Grill was closed both Sun and Mon. According to my guide book, so was the Eastern Market, except for a Sunday Flea Market, though Market Lunch was open for Sunday Lunch.

Thanks again for all the great help.

Holly Moore

"I eat, therefore I am."

HollyEats.Com

Twitter

DC has been the hardest city so far to figure out, grease-stain-worthy-eating wise that is. It is there, just tougher to locate than I had expected. I ate well thanks to those hereabouts's recommendations. I need to get back, during the week both to do the tourist things and to hit the places I missed or were closed this weekend.

My two clear favorites - the Colorado Kitchen and Ben's Chili Bowl.

I had told DonRocks that I wasn't sure about the Colorado Kitchen - the menu seemed a bit upscale for my site. Fortunately he is very persuasive. No doubts once I arrived. I got it. Some of the menu items sound upscale, but what Gillian Clark is doing is taking basic down home cooking and doing it very well, maybe nouvelle down home.

gallery_14_381_1100653880.jpg

I followed in DonRock's footsteps and had the same dinner he had consumed two days earlier. The cauliflower salad raised the bar for cauliflower. As good a preparation as I've ever encountered.

gallery_14_381_1100653680.jpg

Monkfish Schnitzel very good, too.

gallery_14_381_1100653778.jpg

And Don's meatloaf was equally impressive. Think that's what I'd order next time.

gallery_14_381_1100653729.jpg

Before any of that, right after we were seated, Gillian passed out free samples of shrimp bisque. It was then that I knew this meal was going to be all about flavor. Rich, solid flavors. It started with the bisque and continued throughout the meal. The shrimp bisque, the cabbage that accomanied my monk fish, the gravy for the meat loaf, whalloping flavor all.

Dessert - had to be the pineapple upside down cake. We lucked out with a corner cut - more flavor where the sugar syrup has caramelized.

gallery_14_381_1100653831.jpg

Earlier that day, I had a late lunch at Jerry's in Lanham MD on the way down to DC. The crab bomb - 10 oz of lump crabmeat - probably cost more than my entire dinner at Colorado Kitchen. I had the fireworks version - with mustard and peppercorns. As much lump crab as I've ever eatten at one seating, and very good. But Faidley's Crabcake in the Baltimore's Lexington Market still sets the gold standard.

gallery_14_381_1100653976.jpg

Five Guys got me excited as I walked in the door. My kind of hamburger place. No frills, fresh cut fries, and a solid rep. The fries were very good. As was the hot dog. The hamburger looked great, but the patties were way, way overcooked. Not grease-dripping medium which I can really get into, as I did at the Shake Shack last weekend, but dry, crumbly well done. A real disappointment and, I'm hoping, an exception to the rule.

gallery_14_381_1100653923.jpg

Finally, the reason I'd move to Washington. Ben's Chili Bowl. I wasn't sure what to expect after the mixed reviews Ben's received in my initial thread. I was there twice, Sunday afternoon for a half-smoke and back again Monday breakfast for another half smoke, this time sans chili, with eggs and grits. I liked everything about Ben's. The look, the feel, the history. The folks working the counter - both friendly and brusque - keeping the line moving but always a smile and taking the time to help this newby through the ordering system.

gallery_14_381_1100653605.jpg

And the half smoke itself. Topped with assertive chili that has a solid kick. Mound of fries along side. Damn good eating.

gallery_14_381_1100653336.jpg

Still on my list, the East Market and Market Lunch, the Florida Avenue Grill, the Tune Inn, the place Don told me about with the Super Grillled Cheese Sandwich, a couple of the soul food restaurants mentioned in the DC forum, the barbecue place with smoke pouring out as I exit the Baltimore Expressway onto Mass Ave, and of course returns to Ben's, the Colorado Kitchen and another crack at Five Guys.

One more time, thanks for the help and the hospitality.

Holly Moore

"I eat, therefore I am."

HollyEats.Com

Twitter

gallery_14_381_1100653880.jpg

Gillian, in case you're reading this,

I'm pleased to see you enjoying your new life of leisure since all this eGullet publicity came out.

Still on my list, the East Market and Market Lunch, ... the place Don told me about with the Super Grillled Cheese Sandwich

Eastern Market ... and Stoney's!

Five Guys got me excited as I walked in the door. My kind of hamburger place. No frills, fresh cut fries, and a solid rep. The fries were very good. As was the hot dog. The hamburger looked great, but the patties were way, way overcooked.

It's distressing to see a picture of this burger, as it looks like an overcooked shoe. Consistency is often the first thing to go during a period of unsustainable expansion, followed shortly thereafter by a general dumbing down of quality.

Earlier that day, I had a late lunch at Jerry's in Lanham MD on the way down to DC. The crab bomb - 10 oz of lump crabmeat - probably cost more than my entire dinner at Colorado Kitchen

Crab bomb, schmab bomb ... Holly, you da bomb - it was wonderful meeting you!

Cheers and peace, and stains of grease,

Rocks.