• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

DeMarco's Pizzeria

Mister_Cutlets

Heard the other day that DiFara's is opening a manhattan location, in the footsteps of the other outer-borough pizza meccas. I wish it would stay in midwood, and Dom won't be cooking there -- his daughter is apparently opening it up. So the pilgrimage will remain the same, but now more of the undeserving many will have access to at least an approximation of the greatest pizza in American history. O well....it's the american way. The DeMarco family deserves to make a buck if anybody does.

Mr-Cutlets.com: your source for advice, excerpts, Cutlets news, and links to buy Meat Me in Manhattan: A Carnivore's Guide to New York!

If the news on Slice is true, this is absolutely absyssmal and unethical business practice on the part of the Difara name usurpers. But I suspect this is not all there is to the story.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

If the news on Slice is true, this is absolutely absyssmal and unethical business practice on the part of the Difara name usurpers. But I suspect this is not all there is to the story.

Why do you suspect that isn't all there is to the story?

Michael aka "Pan"

Because this is almost always the case. I'm not saying that Domenic himself isn't being truthful, but the fact that we have already heard his children may have been involved in this at some point, lends me to believe we're not hearing the entire thing.

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

More from Slice NY.

Particularly galling is the fact that the fake Di Fara has displayed in its window a sign that proclaims "Rated #1 Zagat 2004, Zagat 2005."

:angry:

JJ Goode

Co-author of Serious Barbecue, which is in stores now!

www.jjgoode.com

"For those of you following along, JJ is one of these hummingbird-metabolism types. He weighs something like eleven pounds but he can eat more than me and Jason put together..." -Fat Guy

I don't understand how the second place can legally use that name. When one sets up a business (at least in PA) you go though a "fictitious name registration" process that prevents you from using a name that is already asoociated with another business. Even a businessman whose name was actually McDonald could not open up a hamburger place called McDonald's. Or a better Philly example would be someone else could not open a cheesesteak place called "Jim's Steaks" - the name is already spoken for.

Don't they do this in other places???? :unsure:

And they absolutely should go litigious on their asses. That's disgraceful to take someone's help and then steal their good name that way. A first year law student could try this case. That's way too easy. I hope they have picketers outside when they open. What kind of schmuck promises his investors that he's going to STEAL someone's hard earned name and reputation and doesn't have a single dissenting voice?? Sounds like the investors and the front man deserve each other. :angry:

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

And they absolutely should go litigious on their asses.  That's disgraceful to take someone's help and then steal their good name that way.  A first year law student could try this case.  That's way too easy.  I hope they have picketers outside when they open.  What kind of schmuck promises his investors that he's going to STEAL someone's hard earned name and reputation and doesn't have a single dissenting voice??  Sounds like the investors and the front man deserve each other. :angry:

Have you ever been to New York? We have Ray's Pizza, Famous Ray's pizza, Original Famous Ray's pizza, Ray Bari's etc.

So I would guess that the answer to your question is that I am sure you can sue over it, but often times people don't. New Yorkers are not quite as litigious as Philadelphians

And now both of the reports about this on Slice have been removed. Something is definitely up.

Yep, but the entries are in the database, if you go to the links directly as opposed as thru the home page.

New Yorkers are not quite as litigious as Philadelphians

You've heard the phrase, "A Philadelphia lawyer". :raz:

I think the "fictitious name registration" only cover's someone trying to steal your EXACT name. So Famous Ray's isn't Ray's.

There's definitely something funny going on with this one.

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

There was indeed more to the story...

"I may have pulled the trigger a little early," admits Mr. Schwartz, "After all, the name means a lot to Domenico." After a few days of negotiation, Mr. Schwartz came to an agreement with the family on Nov. 16 to name the restaurant DeMarco’s Pizzeria, with the family running the restaurant (DiFara’s is a combination of the names DeMarco and that of his original co-founder) and looking to open in early December.

Read the rest in The Observer, scroll way down to the bottom.

"If it's me and your granny on bongos, then it's a Fall gig'' -- Mark E. Smith

• 5 weeks later...

DeMarco's opened today. Totally different look and feel than DiFara...the Houston street side is a shiny modern pizzeria with a large and unusually visible kitchen area (with nothing much going on yet), on the McDougal street side (connected on the staff side, but no connection on the customer side) it's what looks likes the same wood bar as Nellies, and about a dozen tables, unusually upscale feel for a pizzeria, and on another planet than DiFara in terms of atmosphere.

The staff we as extremely friendly and nice.

I don't think you can judge a pizzeria on day one, but I do plan to return. I'm not sure it will ever be in the same artisanal league as DiFara, but it may turn out to be a good addition to the neighborhood. (There's a possibility that the larger effort required for me to visit DiFara adds to its appeal, but I enjoy watching Dom work at DiFara, same clear love for his work and his product as the guy at Una Pizza Napoletana).

I can only say that the first night's effort at DeMarco was way better than what I had at Arturo's a few weeks ago.

I can only say that the first night's effort at DeMarco was way better than what I had at Arturo's a few weeks ago.

Let's face it, any neighborhood can always use a better pizza. Almost wherever you are, you're going to find the best place in the neighborhood and go there for pizza sometime as long as it's even okay. I haven't been to Arturo's in a while, but I seem to recall that it gave Lombardi's a run for the money, so way better than Arturo's is worth checking out.

Robert Buxbaum

WorldTable

Recent WorldTable posts include: comments about reporting on Michelin stars in The NY Times, the NJ proposal to ban foie gras, Michael Ruhlman's comments in blogs about the NJ proposal and Bill Buford's New Yorker article on the Food Network.

My mailbox is full. You may contact me via worldtable.com.

Bux, the pizza that the Pizza Survey had at Arturo's was in an entirely different class from the pizza we had at Lombardi's. I don't think Lombardi's is even worth going to anymore, whereas Arturo's is just a cut under places like Grimaldi's, and their clam pizza is wonderful!

Michael aka "Pan"

Are we entering the slice vs. whole pie thing here. Does DeMarco's sell it by the slice, or whole pies only.

And my recent experience with Arturo's happpened to be a great pie (and some pretty darn good baked clams as well!).

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

Are we entering the slice vs. whole pie thing here.  Does DeMarco's sell it by the slice, or whole pies only.

They sell both, as well as heroes and pasta, like Di Fara.

JJ Goode

www.jjgoode.com

"For those of you following along, JJ is one of these hummingbird-metabolism types. He weighs something like eleven pounds but he can eat more than me and Jason put together..." -Fat Guy

What kind of oven is at this place?

Gas, turned up a bit higher than usual, just like Di Fara.

JJ Goode

www.jjgoode.com

I tasted a slice of square and of round pizza at DeMarco's today. I was pleasantly suprised .. I went with somewhat low expectations. I thought they were easily the best slices I've has in the neighborhood (which isn't saying that much). The sauce was the star of the square slice.. but the crust was pretty good as well. The round pie was fresh from the oven. The cheese on top was really liquidy, which made it difficult to eat. But once I figured out how to eat it .. I was quite favorably impressed. The mix of 4 cheeses + olive oil (we saw the guy making a pie) was really quite tasty. Im looking forward to going back and ordering some whole pies! (fyi .. they are running with a very limited menu right now.)